Daily Current Affairs 12 July 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates country’s First Liquefied Natural Gas plant in Nagpur
Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the country’s First Private LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) plant in Nagpur.
- The Country’s first LNG facility plant has been set up by Baidyanath Ayurvedic Group on Kamptee Road near Nagpur Jabalpur Highway. Mr.Gadkari also informed that the Central Government is promoting Ethanol, Electric, CNG, LNG gas as an alternative to conventional fuels.
CPWD dept under Housing, Urban Affairs Ministry celebrates 167th year of service to Nation on 12th July
Central Public Works Department (CPWD) under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs will celebrate 167th year of its glorious service to the nation on 12th July.
- During the inaugural function, four technical publications, CPWD Floral Tableaux : A Treasure Collection, ERP e-Modules, Nirman Bharati – in house publication of CPWD and CPWD Telephone Directory-2021 will be released by the dignitaries. A short film depicting the activities and achievements of CPWD will be screened during the function.
- CPWD came into existence in July 1854 as a Central agency for execution of public works.
India to have twenty four Integrated Check Posts on land borders by 2025
India will have 24 Integrated Check Posts (ICPs) along its land borders by 2025, said Aditya Mishra, Chairman, Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) in what could enable better integration of the region and beyond to SE Asia.
- The ICPs are entry and exit points on India’s land borders and house various facilities such as customs, immigration, and border security, quarantine, among others, within a single facilitation zone.
Under PMGKAY, Centre allocates over 198 lakh tonnes of food grains for next 5 months
The Centre is running the longest ever exercise of distributing free food grains to people during this COVID pandemic time. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana to ameliorate the hardships being faced by the poor due to economic disruption caused by Corona virus.
- Consumer Affairs Ministry said that for PMGKAY-3 a total of over 78 lakh tonnes of food grains have been lifted by the States and Union Territories for two months for May and June this year.
- A total over 198 lakh tonnes of food grains have been allocated to States and UTs for next five months from July to November under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana – 4. Out of this, around four lakh tons of food grains have been lifted by States and UTs so far.
All BRICS countries agree to STI-led BRICS Innovation Cooperation Action Plan (2021-24) proposed by India
All BRICS countries have agreed to the STI-led BRICS Innovation Cooperation Action Plan (2021-24) proposed by India during the 12th Meeting of BRICS Science and Technology Steering Committee.
- The Science and Technology Ministry said, India had proposed the plan to facilitate sharing of experiences of each other’s innovation ecosystem and networking of innovators and entrepreneurs.
- The Department of Science and Technology, India, hosted the 12th Meeting of BRICS Science and Technology Steering Committee. Scientific Ministries and agencies of all BRICS countries participated in the meeting.
ADB Establishes High Level Advisory Group for COVID-19 Vaccines
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has joined with leading public health experts, vaccine regulators and policymakers to form an advisory group to provide its developing member countries (DMCs) with expert technical and scientific advice on the quality, safety and effectiveness of vaccines for coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic.
- The regional vaccine advisory group will help ADB and its DMCs better understand regulatory oversight, risk management strategies and pharma co-vigilance needed to safely introduce and monitor vaccine rollouts.
BANKING & FINANCE
Airtel Payments Bank Rolls Out ‘Pay to Contacts’ for UPI-Based Transactions
Airtel Payments Bank has launched ‘Pay to contacts’ which allows customers to initiate a UPI payment by selecting the receiver’s mobile number from their phonebook.
- ‘Pay to Contacts’ displays the valid UPI ID associated with the selected contact, irrespective of the UPI app used by the receiver.
- This eliminates the need to enter the UPI ID or bank account details to process the payment and saves time.
Easiloan launches India’s first home loan selection and recommendation engine for home buyers
Easiloan Techno Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (www.easiloan.com), a new age fintech start-up has launched “Easiloan Instant Match” application, housing finance industry’s first Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology-based selection and recommendation engine for home buyers.
- With this launch, Easiloan.com aims to address the inefficiencies in the home loan ecosystem by leveraging technology to streamline the loan processes across buyer, developer/seller and lenders.
- The application brings developers, direct selling agents (DSAs), customers, banks and NBFCs on a single platform for end-to-end digital processing of home loans. The proprietary AI based feature allows customers to compare and choose from shortlisted options based on their profile.
Axis Bank announces first transaction on SOFR reference rate
Private sector lender Axis Bank announced its first derivative transaction linked to the Secured Overnight Financing Rate (SOFR).
- With this transaction, Axis Bank has crossed an important milestone associated with the LIBOR transition journey.
- SOFR, an alternative reference rate, is the recommended US dollar interest rate benchmark expected to replace Libor at the end of 2021.
Federal Bank gets RBI nod to re-appoint Shyam Srinivasan as MD for 3 yrs
Private sector Federal Bank said it has received approval from the RBI to re-appoint Shyam Srinivasan as its MD and CEO for three years.
- Srinivasan took charge as MD and CEO of the lender on September 23, 2010.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
United States became fourth-largest crude oil supplier to India in 2020: Report
The United States became the fourth-largest supplier of crude oil to India in 2020, according to BP’s latest report.
- The US supplied 10.7 million tonnes of crude oil to India in 2020, behind Iraq’s 47 million tonnes, Saudi Arabia’s 38 million tonnes, and UAE’s 22 million tonnes, said the BP’s Statistical Review of World Energy.
- The US supply accounted for about 5% of India’s total imports of 204 million tonnes in the year, a big jump for the country which had started exporting oil to India in 2017. It also turned out to be the fourth-largest natural gas supplier to India in 2020.
India’s Online commerce set to touch $188 billion by 2025: report
Online commerce is projected to touch $188 billion by 2025 up from $64 billion in 2020, as covid accelerates adoption of e-commerce, according to a report by industry body FICCI.
- In the same period, its contribution to the country’s GDP is set to rise too, touching 3.8% of the country’s gross domestic product by 2025.
- The Indian retail industry is set to touch $1.1 – $1.3 trillion in value by 2025.
GIFT City-Based Vman Aviation Signs Aircraft Purchase Agreement With Airbus Helicopters
India’s international financial services centre at the Gujarat International Finance Tech City (GIFT City) has made its global mark by being named among the top three emerging business hubs in the world. Based near Ahmedabad, the GIFT city was ranked third in the list of the GFCI report, which has highlighted 15 centres that are likely to become more significant in the next few years.
- In another significant move, GIFT city based leasing company established under the Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan of the Government of India Vman Aviation has signed first aircraft purchase agreement with Airbus Helicopters, marking a new chapter in Indian aviation industry eyeing a chunk in the leasing market.
- This is a new business segment coming to India and the Government of India shall continue to provide all possible help to promote leasing activities in India under the Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
STPI ties up with 6 entities to promote entrepreneurship
Software Technology Parks of India (STPI), an organisation under the Indian Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY has signed MoUs with six different entities — Bank of Baroda, Yes Bank, Mathworks, Yourstory, Freshworks and Pontaq (the Fund Manager selected for Next Generation Incubation Scheme).
- The MoUs are intended to promote entrepreneurship & create a nurturing ecosystem for STPI CoEs in areas such as digital and mobile payments, blockchain, IoT, big data, and other emerging technologies.
Ashleigh Barty, Novak Djokovic win respective Wimbledon Singles Title
World Number One Novak Djokovic has clinched his sixth Wimbledon Tennis title to equal record of 20th Grand Slam trophy after beating seventh-seed Matteo Berrettini of Italy.The 34-year-old Serbian won the Men’s single final by 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 in three hours and 24 minutes last night.
- Mixed Doubles title has been lifted by Neal Skupski of Britain and Desirae Krawczyk of the US.The British-American pair defeated British duo of Joe Salisbury and Harriet Dart in the summit clash 6-2, 7-6.
- Australian top seed Ashleigh Barty won the Women’s singles title after defeating eighth seed Karolina Pliskova of Czech Republic.
- Elise Mertens of Belgium and Hsieh Su-wei of Taiwan have clinched Women’s Doubles title.
- Croatian pair and first-seed Nikola Mektić and Mate Pavić have won the Men’s Doubles final.
Italy crowned Euro Cup 2020 champions after shootout win over England
Italy crowned Euro Cup 2020 champions after shootout win over England.
- Italy beat England 3-2 on penalties after the Euro 2020 final ended 1-1 following extra time at Wembley to secure their second European Championship title.
- Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma was the hero for the Azzurri in the shootout, while substitutes Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka failed to convert from the spot for England.
Argentina beats Brazil 1-0 to win Copa America tournament
Argentina beats Brazil 1-0 to win Copa America tournament. Argentina ended its 28-year drought for a major international trophy as it defeated Brazil 1-0 in the final of Copa America at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.
- This has been Argentina’s 15th Copa America, drawing level with Uruguay. Angel Di Maria scored the only goal of the match in the 22nd minute. This is Lionel Messi’s first major trophy with the Argentina senior team.
Haiti senators nominate Joseph Lambert as president
Haiti’s senate, which currently comprises just a third of its usual 30 senators, nominated its head Joseph Lambert to be interim president after the assassination of President Jovenel Moise.
- The move plunges Haiti deeper into political crisis with its constitution unclear as to who should take over the reins of power in this kind of situation and rival political factions in disagreement.
- The acting interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph has taken over the reins of power so far.
Vinay Prakash appointed as Resident Grievance Officer for Twitter India
Twitter has named Vinay Prakash as its Resident Grievance Officer for India. The microblogging platform also released the India Transparency report which is required to be published under India’s new IT rules.
- Twitter is required to publish a monthly report regarding handling of complaints from users in India, including action taken on them, as well as the number of URLs that Twitter has taken.
His Holiness Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Paulos II, Supreme Head of Indian Orthodox Church, passes away
Baselios Marthoma Poulose II, the Supreme Head of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (MOSC), passed away after a prolonged illness. He was 74.
- Enthroned as the eighth Catholicos of the East & Malankara Metropolitan in November 2010, Baselios Marthoma Paulose II was the91st primate on the Apostolic Throne of St Thomas.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“The Art Of Conjuring Alternate Realities: How Information Warfare Shapes Your World” Book by Anand Venkatanarayanan and Shivam Shankar Singh
The book titled “The Art Of Conjuring Alternate Realities: How Information Warfare Shapes Your World” co-authored by Anand Venkatanarayanan and Shivam Shankar Singh has been released recently.
- The book was published by HarperCollins India. This book demystifies those techniques and details just how the war to manipulate our thoughts is being waged.