Daily Current Affairs 21 October 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Haryana tops Anemia Mukt Bharat Index in country
Haryana State has the best Anemia Mukt Bharat (AMB) Index among 29 states in the country. Haryana was ranked at the top slot with an AMB Index of 46.7.
- The Anemia Mukt Bharat, an initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and UNICEF, has been launched to reduce the prevalence of Anemia all over India.
Centre invites British govt to exploit huge business potential in North East*
Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DONER) Dr Jitendra Singh has invited the British Government and the private sector for exploiting huge business potential in North Eastern Region during the virtual meeting with officials of British High Commission.
- Dr Jitendra Singh welcomed the British Council proposal for collaboration in the Education Sector for teaching Science and Mathematics in all the 8 States of the region and an MoU will be signed soon with North Eastern Council to take the collaboration to a new high.
Kerala’s first water taxi service launches in backwaters of Alappuzha
Kerala’s first water taxi service launched in the backwaters of Alappuzha. The water taxi is set to ferry passengers.
- The water taxi, a catamaran diesel-powered craft with a seating capacity for 10 passengers, is 1st in a series of 4 boats.
UP govt decides to set up women help desk in every police station of state
In a major decision related to women security in the state, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister has ordered to establish women help desks in each and every police station of state.
- The women police personnel deputed on helpdesk will not only listen to the complaints of women but will always be ready to help them anytime.
- The Chief Minister has also directed the state police force to personally visit the site of crime against women and children and ensure timely investigation.
- This decision coincides with the launch of ‘Mission Shakti’ campaign to empower women and sensitise the public towards the security of women and girls.
India ranks as the 4th most Powerful in Asia
India has become the fourth most powerful country in the Asia-Pacific region, according to the Sydney-based Lowy Institute’s Asia Power Index for 2020, which ranks 26 nations and territories.
- India was on the fourth spot in the index after Japan. However, the economic growth potential India lost during a pandemic gave an advantage to China.
- Russia, Australia, South Korea, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia round out the top 10. Lowy estimates India will reach 40 per cent of China’s economic output by 2030, compared with the 50 per cent estimate a year ago.
- Although the US obtained the top position as the most powerful country influencing the Asia-Pacific, China seemed to have wielded more power in terms of its economy rebounding from the virus and is the only large economy forecast to recover in 2020.
India Ranks Second in Inflow of Migrants to OECD Countries, China Retains Top Spot
India ranked second in terms of the “total” inflow of new migrants to OECD countries during the year 2018 as well as in the number of Indians obtaining citizenship of these countries, a report by OECD revealed.
- Notably, China continued to retain the top position as the largest source country, India overtook Romania to emerge as the second-largest source country.
- Migration from India to OECD countries climbed significantly by 10% and hit 3.3 lakh and it accounted for about 5% of the overall migration to OECD countries.
- Canada witnessed a massive surge in numbers, while others, including Italy and Germany, also saw a greater number of fresh arrivals when compared to the figures last year.
Israeli Embassy to have ‘Water Attache’ in India from January
Israel Embassy will have a separate ‘Water Attache’ from January 2021 to help share their country’s best practices and technologies for advancements in India’s water management and agriculture sectors.
- In another significant development, Israel will soon nominate an honorary Consul in the North-East with the aim to increase its presence and collaboration in that region.
BANKING & FINANCE
IDBI Bank launches banking services on WhatsApp for seamless customer experience
IDBI Bank introduced the banking services on WhatsApp for its customers. This launch is a part of sustained initiatives the Bank has taken to enable the customers to access banking services remotely at their convenience.
- WhatsApp Banking service will be offered through a dedicated WhatsApp verified number ensuring end to end encryption.
- The bank customers will be able to avail various essential banking services such as account balance information, last five transactions, request for a cheque book and an email statement, Interest Rates through newly launched WhatsApp banking services.
Paytm to partner with various banks for Co-Branded Credit
Digital financial services platform Paytm said it would be partnering with various card issuers to introduce co-branded credit cards, with an aim to issue two million such cards in the next 12-18 months.
- These credit cards will be issued based on the traditional credit score as well as the user’s purchase patterns on Paytm.
- These cards are designed to help them lead a healthier financial life through managing and analysing the spends to make well-informed decisions.
World Bank approves $12 billion to finance virus vaccines
The World Bank has approved $12 billion in financing to help developing countries buy and distribute coronavirus vaccines, tests, and treatments, aiming to support the vaccination of up to one billion people.
- The $12 billion envelop is part of a wider World Bank Group package of up to $160 billion to help developing countries fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
J&K Govt inks MoU with Flipkart to provide platform for local artisans, craftsmen, weavers to reach customers worldwide
The JK Government signed an historic Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with online store Flipkart to provide a platform for local artisans, craftsmen, weavers to reach customers across the globe.
- This partnership will provide an appropriate opportunity for the momentous growth and development of the respective sectors.
- This e-marketing channel shall involve and benefit artisans and weavers both in organized and unorganized sector and for the first six months, Flipkart will not charge any fee from the artisans and weavers.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
TCS surpasses Accenture to become most-valuable IT services firm globally
Tata group flagship firm Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) became the most-valuable information technology (IT) company globally, surpassing rival Accenture for the first time.
- At the last closing price of Rs 2,825, TCS was valued at $144.73 billion (Rs 10.6 trillion).
- Accenture is currently valued at $142.4 billion, while IBM’s market cap is $110.5 billion.
BSE signs MoU with Telangana Govt and GlobalLinker to help MSMEs in raising equity funds
The Telangana government along with GlobalLinker, has signed an MoU with the Bombay Stock Exchange to help MSMEs raise equity funds.
- The latest partnership aims to address a vital challenge of access to finance and increasing credibility of the MSME.
- As per the MoU, the stock exchange will provide intellectual & manpower support to create awareness about the importance and benefits of listing.
SEBI Constitutes “Market Data Advisory Committee”
SEBI has constituted a Market Data Advisory Committee (MDAC), a Standing Committee – to recommend appropriate policy for access to securities market data, identify segment wise data perimeters, data needs and gaps, recommend data privacy and data access regulations applicable to market data.
- The committee is headed by Madhabi Puri Buch, Whole Time Member, SEBI and has CEOs of stock exchanges and depositories, representatives of various stakeholders and senior officials of SEBI as members
Bond trade platform set for new year launch in India
Singapore-based bond exchange, BondEvalue, developed by India-origin entrepreneurs, is targeting to launch a blockchain-platform in the New Year to facilitate investment in bonds by individuals and common man.
- The RMO allows BondbloX Bond Exchange (BBX), the world’s first blockchain-based bond exchange, to trade globally a wide range of fixed-income securities to the mass markets.
Russia’s Andrey Rublev wins St. Petersburg Open tennis tournament
Andrey Rublev joined Novak Djokovic as the only men to win four tour singles titles in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season as he beat Borna Coric 7-6 (5), 6-4 in the final of the St. Petersburg Open tennis tournament.
- The 22-year-old Rublev added the title in Russia to trophies in Doha, Adelaide and Hamburg.
Odisha to sponsor national rugby teams for next 3 years
The Odisha Government will pay the Indian Rugby Football Union (also known as Rugby India) ₹3 crore as sponsor of National teams over three years.
- The sponsorship will help in training, conditioning and incentivising the Indian national rugby teams (men and women) participating in international events.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
India successfully test-fires SANT Missile off Odisha coast
Indian successfully test-fired the Stand-off-Anti-tank (SANT) missile from Integrated Test Range (ITR) off the Odisha coast.
- It is an upgraded version of the anti-tank missile, Helicopter Launched Nag (HeliNa).
- SANT is an air-to-surface is being developed by the DRDO for the Indian Air Force & will have both Lock-on After Launch and Lock-on Before Launch capability and can destroy targets 15 km to 20 km away.
Odisha launches “Mo Bidyut” app for Electricity Consumers
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched an electricity consumer service portal Mo Bidyut and its mobile app to provide efficient, time-bound and transparent online service to the people of the State.
- With the launching of the portal, consumers will, henceforth, be able to avail services pertaining to new power connection up to 5 KW for domestic, general purpose and specified public purpose like irrigation, pumping and agriculture within 48 hours, energy bill payment and grievance redressal relating to the service.
- The portal, www.mobidyut.com, is a bilingual online integrated platform covering all four power utilities of the State such as TPCODL, NESCO, WESCO and SOUTHCO.
Nokia selected by NASA to build first ever cellular network on the Moon
Nokia Oyj has been chosen by NASA to build the first ever cellular network on the moon.
- The Finnish telecommunications firm said that the partnership will create a path toward sustainable human presence on the lunar surface, and will result in the first LTE/4G communications system in space.
- Nokia’s Bell Labs unit is planning to build what it describes as an ultra-compact, low-power, space-hardened, end-to-end LTE solution that will be available on the moon by late 2022.
Govt Launches ARHC Portal Under PM Awas Yojana
Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri launched the Affordable Rental Housing Complex(ARHC) Portal(arhc.mohua.gov.in) under PM Awas Yojana via a webinar.
- On the occasion, a National Report on ANGIKAAR – a campaign for change management for PMAY (U) beneficiaries through a 3 C strategy- Community Engagement, Convergence and Communication was also launched by Shri Hardeep S. Puri.
TV Actress Zarina Roshan Khan passes away
Zarina Roshan Khan, who played the role of Indu Daasi/Suri in Zee TV’s daily soap Kumkum Bhagya, has passed away due to a cardiac arrest. She was 54.
- Having started her career as a stunt woman, Zarina starred in several shows and films. Apart from Kumkum Bhagya, she was also seen playing a pivotal role in Vidya.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Portraits of Power: NK Singh’s new book traces origin and growth of the PMO
“Portraits of Power : Half a Century of Being at Ringside” is an autobiography of Veteran Economist and bureaucrat N K Singh has been released recently, traces the Origin and growth of the PMO.
- The book portrays the life of NK Singh who played an active role in the development of the Indian economy.
- The book is published by Rupa Publications India.
International Chef Day
International Chef’s day is celebrated on October 20 every year to honour the profession and educate people about healthy food.
- The theme of International Chefs Day 2020 is ‘Healthy Food For the Future’.