Daily Current Affairs 6 November 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s first Open-Air, Rooftop Drive-in Theatre opens in Mumbai
India’s first open-air theatre opened in Mumbai and will showcase the film Sooryavanshi featuring Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgn, and Katrina Kaif in the lead role. Reliance announced the launch of its first rooftop theatre, which will be known as ‘Jio Drive-In’. The open-air rooftop theatre will be operated and managed by PVR ltd.
- Situated in Jio World Drive, the recently launched retail precinct spread across 17.5 acres in Mumbai’s commercial hub Bandra Kurla Complex. The drive-in theatre can accommodate around 290 cars.
- The Jio Drive-in has claimed to have one of the biggest cinema screens in the country with 24m x 10m dimensions.
PM Modi unveils statue of Adi Shankaracharya at Kedarnath
Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Kedarnath in Uttarakhand to inaugurate key infrastructure projects related to the redevelopment of Kedarnath.
- PM inaugurated the reconstructed Shri Adi Shankaracharya Samadhi (final resting place) at the premises of the Kedarnath Temple in Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand and unveiled the statue of Shri Adi Shankaracharya at the Samadhi.
- The 12-feet long statue weighing around 35 tonnes (35,000kg) has been constructed by Mysore-based sculptor Arjun Yogiraj.
- During the visit, PM Modi inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of several reconstruction projects worth over Rs 400 crore at Kedarpuri.
Karnataka government launches Janasevaka scheme offering home delivery
Karnataka chief minister Basavaraj Bommai launched the ‘Janasevaka’ scheme offering 58 government services at the doorstep of citizens.
- In the first phase, the scheme will be available in all 198 municipal wards in Bengaluru.the scheme would be implemented throughout Karnataka from January 26.
- Through this Janasevaka scheme, the government will reach the doorstep of every house. Under the programme, various services such as caste certificate, property Khata certifcate, old age and widow pension schemes will be provided.
NDDB inks pact with UP to manage Varanasi Dairy Union for 5 years
The National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) has signed an agreement with the government of Uttar Pradesh to manage the Varanasi Milk Union for five years.
- This will promote dairy sector in the northern State, while providing the dairy farmers required economic resilience.
Telecom department sets up 6G technology innovation group
The government has formed a technology innovation group on sixth generation (6G) standards for mobile networks to take the lead in the development of the next-generation technology globally.
- The group, formed by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), will be headed by Telecom Secretary K Rajaraman.
- The forum aims to create vision and objectives as well as develop a roadmap for research and development (R&D), pre-standardisation, development of applications and products, and action plans for 6G technology.
Centre launches ‘Har Ghar Dastak’ COVID-19 vaccination campaign
The central government launched its ‘Har Ghar Dastak’ Covid-19 inoculation campaign for special house-to-house Covid-19 vaccination focussed on those whose second dose is overdue to accelerate the inoculation drive.
- This comes in the backdrop of Prime Minister Narendra Modi exhorting officials to ensure that the country widens its Covid-19 vaccination coverage by the end of the year and enters the new year with renewed self-belief and confidence.
UK unveils commemorative coin celebrating Mahatma Gandhi
A new £5 coin to commemorate the life and legacy of Mahatma Gandhi has been unveiled by the UK Chancellor during the festival of Diwali.
- Available in a range of standards including gold and silver, the special collectors’ coin was designed by Heena Glover and features an image of a lotus, India’s national flower, alongside one of Gandhi’s most famous quotes – ‘My life is my message’.
- Building on the enduring relationship and cultural connections between the UK and India, it is the first time that Gandhi has been commemorated on an official UK coin with the final design chosen by Rishi Sunak, who is the Master of the Mint.
BANKING & FINANCE
PhonePe’s ‘SafeCard’ tokenisation solution to help users meet RBI norms
Walmart-owned digital payments firm PhonePe has launched PhonePe SafeCard, a tokenisation solution for online debit and credit card transactions.
- This solution will enable both PhonePe users and merchant partners to continue experiencing the convenience of saved card transactions with increased security, and in compliance with the new Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines.
- This solution supports all major card networks such as Mastercard, Rupay and Visa.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Yahoo Inc. stops its services in China wef November 01
Yahoo Inc. has announced that the company has stopped providing service in mainland China with effect from November 01, 2021 due to the increasingly challenging business and legal environment in the country.
- This means that services like Yahoo Weather, Yahoo Finance, and other websites run by Yahoo such as AOL.com, TechCrunch and Engadget will not be accessible from within China.
- With this Yahoo has ended its 22-year presence in the Chinese market.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China launches world’s first Earth-science satellite dedicated to UN 2030 Agenda
China sent an Earth science satellite into space from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in the northern Shanxi Province.
- The satellite, called Guangmu, was launched by a Long March-6 carrier rocket and entered the planned orbit. It was the 395th flight mission of the Long March rocket series.
- Developed by the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the satellite (SDGSAT-1) is the world’s first space science satellite dedicated to serving the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- The satellite, with three optical payloads in it, can provide space observation data for monitoring, evaluating and studying the interaction between human and nature and sustainable development.
DRDO, IAF conduct 2 flight tests of smart anti-airfield weapon
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Indian Air Force have jointly conducted two flight tests of an indigenously developed smart anti-airfield weapon in Rajasthan’s Jaisalmer, the defence ministry said.
- Two different configurations (of the weapon) based on satellite navigation and electro-optical sensors have been successfully tested. In both the tests, the intended target was hit with high accuracy, it said.
- Electro-optical seeker-based flight test of this class of bomb has been conducted for the first time in the country, the statement mentioned.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“The Sage with Two Horns: Unusual Tales from Mythology” book by Sudha Murty
The book titled “The Sage with Two Horns: Unusual Tales from Mythology” authored by Sudha Murty had been released recently.
- It is the 5th and last book of the “Unusual Tales from Mythology” series. The series features the stories of kings and queens, gods and goddesses, sages, and extraordinary men and women of wisdom.
“The Cinema of Satyajit Ray” book by author Bhaskar Chattopadhyay
A new book on the works of legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray revisits each one of his 39 feature films, shorts and documentaries to investigate their cinematic and social context.
- “The Cinema of Satyajit Ray”, published by Westland, is written by author Bhaskar Chattopadhyay.
- In this book, he revisits each one of Satyajit Ray’s thirty-nine feature films, shorts and documentaries to investigate their cinematic and social context. He also speaks to a number of the master’s collaborators as well as other directors and critics to truly understand Ray and his work.