Directions (1-4): Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follow:
Fortunately, more and more countries are shifting their focus away from industrial development to control of climate change these days.
A. The countries which focus more on controlling climate change than industrial development are only the richer ones which can afford to concentrate on areas other than industrial development.
B. Many countries had once prioritized industrial development which proved to be harmful to the environment in the longer run.
C. Some experts are of the view that climate change is not as alarming an issue as it is made to be because it is a natural phenomenon and has been occurring regularly throughout the history of earth
D. If climate change continues at the present rate, it would bring in large scale destruction to human habitation in a very short time
E. Industrial development is one of the biggest but definitely not the only reason behind global warming.
- Which of the statements numbered (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) can be an assumed/inferred from the facts/information given in the statement? (An assumption is something supposed or taken for granted and an inference is something which is not directly stated but can be inferred from the given facts.)
E) Either D or A
- Which of the statements numbered A, B, C and D mentioned above would weaken the argument for the need of a shift away from industrial development to that of controlling climate changes?
E) Both B and D
- Which of the following can be inferred from statement (E) if it is considered to be true with regard to the given information?
A) Nations also need to focus on sources other than those generated due to industrial development.
B) Other sources of pollution have more adverse effects as compared to those generated due to industrial development.
C) Unlike older times, industrial development has ceased to be a reason behind global warming these days.
D) If Industrial Development stops, global warming would automatically come to an end.
E) If sources other than Industrial Development are identified and controlled global warming will end completely.
- Which of the statements numbered A, C, D and E mentioned above represents the reason behind curtailing industrial development by some of the countries?
A) Either C or E
D) Either A or C
Directions (5-8): Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follow:
A host of foreign companies are in talks with the Indian government for selling B150, a tough, short-haul plane ideal for connectivity of smaller towns which is lacking in India at present.
A. B150 planes have not only low operating costs than competing planes like Cezana but also a much better track record in terms of safety and efficiency.
B. The profit margin of road transport operators in the smaller towns connected by B150 planes has been reduced substantially as a majority of people prefer air transport over other means of transport.
C. Smaller towns, at present, are better connected by roads and railways as compared to flight services.
D. B150 planes are capable of operating in sectors where large airlines cannot fly due to challenging conditions such as mist, short runways, etc. Such planes can also double up as cargo planes and charter flights for the rich and the elite.
E. B150 planes need to operate in the existing airports which are situated in bigger cities only and are poorly connected to the smaller cities.
- Which of the statements (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) can be inferred from the facts/information given in the statement? (An inference is something which is not directly stated but can be inferred from the given facts.)
A) Only A
B) Only B
C) Only C
D) Both B and D
E) Only E
- Which of the statements (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) mentioned above would weaken the offer made by the foreign companies for selling B150 planes to Indian government?
- Which of the statements (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) mentioned above represents a possible consequence of the success of B150 planes in smaller cities?
- Which of the statements (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) would favour the foreign companies’ bid to sell B150 planes in India?
A) Only A
B) Only B
C) Both B and C
D) Both A and D
E) Both E and C
Directions (9-10): Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follow:
During the past decade of economic reforms, the Indian economy has undergone far-reaching changes like the emergence of India as an IT superpower, a phenomenal growth in global careers for Indian managers upwardly spiralling salaries and so on.
But there has also been corporate bloodshed, closure of firms and drastic organisational downsizing. A culture of ‘hire and fire’ has seeged into the corporate world. The overall job market has shrunk substantially.
This could be a boon in disguise as the employed youth would be on their toes to face the challenge and complete successfully, as the adversities will make people more alert and wiser.
- Which of the following is an assumption which is implicit in the facts stated in the above paragraph?
A) The Economic reforms are beneficial to selective ones.
B) The devastated job market scenario is not likely to become lively in the near future
C) Indian economy has emerged as the most powerful economy in the world
D) India needs to review its economic policy
E) None of these
- Which of the following is a positive outcome on the basis of the facts stated in the paragraph
A) The Economic reforms will continue for some more time, say a decade or so.
B) India’s emergence as an IT superpower is attributable to economic reforms.
C) The silver lining of economic reforms is not free from the darkness of the cloud.
D) A culture of ‘hire and fire’ has seeped into the corporate world due to economic reforms.
E) None of these.