Current Affairs 1 February 2018 Quiz
Read our Current Affairs and Newspaper Quiz daily to excel in General Awareness section of upcoming Competitive Exams.
Quiz from Current Affairs 31 January 2018 of A2Z – Click Here to Read Current Affairs of January 31, 2018
- In a bid to expand its reach into the hyperlocal news, Google has introduced a new app named ______ to enable the users to submit stories for and about their communities.
Explanation:Google has introduced a new app named “Bulletin” that allows anybody to submit stories for and about their communities. This is a free, lightweight app for telling a story by capturing photos, video clips and text right from your phone, published straight to the web.The app is made for contributing hyperlocal stories about your community.
- The state government of Uttar Pradesh under Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the Mahesra over bridge on January 29. The bridge would connect which country to Gorakhpur and other east UP districts?
D) Sri Lanka
Explanation: Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the long-awaited Mahesra over bridge at Sonauli-Gorakhpur National highway (NH80). The bridge would connect Gorakhpur and other east UP districts to Nepal. It will also become a major route for people going from Gorakhpur to Balrampur, Maharajganj and Gonda.
- Name the third of six Scorpene class submarine launched by the Indian Navy on January 31 in Mumbai
A) INS Kareem
B) INS Karanj
C) INS Kiltan
D) INS Khukri
Explanation: The third indigenously-built diesel-electric Scorpene-class submarine, INS Karanj, has been launched at the Mazagaon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL) in Mumbai. The first of the vessels, INS Kalvari, was commissioned into the Indian Navy on December 14, 2017 while the second, INS Kandhari was launched in January of that year and is undergoing sea trials.
- Who among the following became the first player to clinch a gold medal of the Khelo India School Games on the opening day of the athletics competition on January 31 by winning the 1500 metres event?
A) Abhishek Singh
B) C Chanthini
C) Kathiriya Shraddha
D) Anu Kumar
Explanation: Anu Kumar of Uttarakhand grabbed the first gold medal of the Khelo India School Games in 1500 metres at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
- The 19th India International Watch and Clock Fair “Samaya Bharati 2018” was held in which Indian city?
B) New Delhi
Explanation: The 19th India International Watch & Clock Fair “Samaya Bharati 2018” was held in Mumbai. The Fair, a grand horological event, was organized by India’s leading watch & clock magazine “Trade Post” under the auspices of Watch Trade Federation and supported by other trade bodies.
- What is the rank of India in the 2018 Global Democracy Index?
Explanation: India has slipped to 42nd place on an annual Global Democracy Index amid “rise of conservative religious ideologies” and increase in vigilantism and violence against minorities as well as other dissenting voices.
- Who has clinched the 79th edition of the 11Even Sports Senior Table Tennis Nationals men’s single title?
A) Manav Thakkar
B) Kamlesh Mehta
C) Sharath Kamal
D) Anthony Amalraj
Explanation: Sharath Kamal beat top-seeded Anthony Amalraj to win the men singles title for the eighth time, equalling the feat of Kamlesh Mehta in the 79th edition of the 11Even Sports Senior Nationals in Ranchi, Jharkhand. Suthirta Mukherjee from West Bengal emerged the new women champion, beating Hyderabad Nationals winner Manika Batra.
- Tech giant Google has recently acquired the mobile arm of which smartphone manufacturing company under USD 1.1 billion deal?
Explanation: Tech giant Google has announced the closure of a USD 1.1 billion deal with smartphone maker HTC, following which the former is set to acquire the latter’s design talent.
- According to the report titled Airpocalypse II by the NGO Greenpeace India, which Indian city is found to be the most polluted city?
Explanation: Airpocalypse II, a report by environmental NGO Greenpeace India, has found that more than 47% of the population in India is still living in areas where there is no air quality monitoring. Greenpeace researchers analysed PM10 (coarse pollution particles) annual averages for 280 cities monitored by the Central Pollution Control Board under their national air quality monitoring programme, which shows Delhi to be the most polluted and Hassan in Karnataka to have the cleanest air.
- Name the legendary celebrities who have been conferred with the honorary Doctor of Letters (DLitt) Calicut University on January 29
A) Jayasurya and Dutee Chand
B) Mammootty and Tintu Lukka
C) Dulquer Salmaan and Krishna Poonia
D) Mohanlal and P T Usha
Explanation: Calicut University conferred honorary Doctor of Letters (DLitt) on actor Mohanlal and athlete P T Usha at a special convocation ceremony. The rise of Mohanlal opened a new era in Malayalam cinema. Usha rose to national attention at a time when India’s athletic scene was marked by pessimism and doubts about the country’s future in sports.
- What is the estimated rate of India’s GDP growth for the fiscal 2016-17 as predicted by Central Statistics Office (CSO)?
A) 7.1 Percent
B) 7.3 Percent
C) 6.75 Percent
D) 6.9 Percent
Explanation: According to Central Statistics Office (CSO) data, in line with the earlier official estimate of the country’s GDP growth in the last fiscal, India’s gross domestic product during 2016-17 grew at 7.1 per cent.
- Name the new mobile App launched by the three municipal corporations of Delhi to improve civic services in the city
A) Mobile App 301
B) Mobile App 321
C) Mobile App 311
D) Mobile App 310
Explanation: Mobile App 311 was launched by Delhi’s Lt Governor Anil Baijal. It is a mobile application of the three municipal corporations of Delhi (MCD) that was launched in a bid to enhance engagement of citizens in resolution of grievances and improvement of civic services in the city. Once a complaint is submitted by citizens in via the 311 App, it will be resolved by the designated officers of that locality identified by the geo-tagged photo.
- Who among the following has recently been conferred with the France’s highest civilian award, Legion d’Honneur?
A) Prakash Raj
B) Soumitra Chatterjee
C) Suresh Gopi
Explanation: Legendary Bengali actor Soumitra Chatterjee was presented France’s highest civilian award, Legion d’Honneur. In 1999, Chatterjee became the first Indian actor to receive the ‘Officier des Arts et Metiers’, the highest award for arts given by the French government.
- According to recent report published by World Steel Association (WSA), India has surpassed United States to become _________ largest steel producer in the world in 2018
Explanation: According to a recent report published by World Steel Association (WSA), India overtook the US to become the world’s third-largest steel producer in 2018. China has remained world leader by producing 831.7 MT in 2017, up 5.7% from 786.9 MT in the year-ago period.Japan is second largest global steel producer.
- Name the Indian entity which has partnered with Chinese gaming company AGTech to launch new mobile gaming platform?
Explanation: Chinese gaming and entertainment company AGTech Holdings Limited has entered a joint venture with Paytm to launch Gamepind, a mobile gaming platform with social and casual games that include rewards. Gamepind includes casual games, contests, and sports games, combined with a rewarding and engaging winning experience for the end user.
- Which among the following banks has signed an Information Utility (IU) agreement with National E-Governance Services Limited (NeSL) to share financial and security information under insolvency rules?
A) State Bank of India
B) Punjab National Bank
C) Bank of Baroda
D) Kotak Mahindra Bank
Explanation: State Bank of India (SBI) announced signing of a Information Utility (IU) agreement with National E-Governance Services Limited (NeSL), the first information utility registered with the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI), to share financial and security information under IBBI (IU) regulation 2017.
- Well known ________film director Dharmasena Pathiraja passed away recently.
B) Sri Lankan
Explanation: Renowned Sri Lankan filmmaker Dharmasena Pathiraja, fondly referred to as ‘a rebel with a cause’ and acclaimed for his compelling portrayals of urban underclasses has passed away.
- Which country has topped the Global Democracy Index 2018?
Explanation: Norway has again topped the list in the annual Global Democracy Index, followed by Iceland and Sweden, compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), India has moved down from 32nd place last year and remains classified among “flawed democracies”.
Static GK Based on Current Affairs
- Name the current Lieutenant Governor of Delhi
A) Anil Baijal
B) Najeeb Jung
C) Vijai Kapoor
D) Tejendra Khanna
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) was established in which year?
Explanation: It was established on 1 October 2016 and given statutory powers through the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, which was passed by Lok Sabha on 5 May 2016.
- Where is the headquarter of World Steel Association located?
A) Moscow, Russia
B) Vienna, Austria
C) Brussels, Belgium
D) Beijing, China
Explanation: World Steel Association, often abbreviated as worldsteel, is the international trade body for the iron and steel industry. Founded-10 July 1967
2 Thoughts to “Current Affairs Quiz: February 1, 2018”
THANK U MAM