Current Affairs 25 December 2017 Quiz
Read our Current Affairs and Newspaper Quiz daily to excel in General Awareness section of upcoming Competitive Exams.
Quiz from Current Affairs 24 December 2017 of A2Z – Click Here to Read Current Affairs of December 24, 2017
- The government of India has extended the deadline for the companies to paste new MRP stickers on unsold packaged commodities post GST from December 2017 to ______
A) January 2018
B) March 2018
C) February 2018
D) April 2018
Explanation: The government has allowed companies, till March 2018, to paste price stickers on unsold packaged products to reflect new MRP post GST. After Goods and Services Tax (GST) became effective from July 1, companies were asked to use stickers on unsold packaged commodities to display new maximum retail price (MRP) till September, which was later extended till December, 2017.
- Which among the following is set be included as a serious disorder in the revised list of International Classification of Diseases (ICD) in 2018 published by the World Health Organisation (WHO)?
A) Messaging disorder
B) Selfie disorder
C) Gaming disorder
D) Social Media disorder
Explanation: For the first time, WHO will add gaming disorder to its International Classification of Diseases (ICD). The ICD — a diagnostic manual that’s published by the WHO — was last updated 27 years ago, in 1990. The 11th edition of the manual is due in 2018, and will include gaming disorder as a serious health condition to be monitored.
- Who has been sworn in as the new executive director of UNICEF?
A) Irina Bokova
B) Audrey Azoulay
C) Anthony Lake
D) Henrietta H Fore
Explanation: United Nations (UN) has appointed former senior US government official Henrietta H Fore as the new executive director of UNICEF. She will succeed William Anthony Kirsopp Lake who assumed office in 2010.
- The world’s longest glass bridge has been inaugurated in which country?
B) United Staes
Explanation: The world’s longest glass bridge, located in China’s Hebei province, was opened for the public. The bridge can support up to 2,000 people and is designed such that it swings a little when visitors walk to its centre.
- As per the latest data by the Reserve Bank of India, bad loans of Public sector banks (PSBs) stood at Rs ____ lakh crore by the end of second quarter (September 30) this fiscal
A) Rs 9.30 lakh crore
B) Rs 7.34 lakh crore
C) Rs 6.28 lakh crore
D) Rs 8.22 lakh crore
Explanation: According to Reserve Bank data, bad loans of Public sector banks (PSBs) stood at Rs 7.34 lakh crore by the end of second quarter (September 30) this fiscal, a bulk of which came from corporate defaulters. However, on the other hand private sector banks’ non- performing assets (NPAs) were considerably low at Rs 1.03 lakh crore by September 30.
- Recently the Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched his biography titled ‘Trivendra Ek Zindaginama – Khairasain ka Sooraj’. Who is the writer of the book?
A) Vijay Jhindal
B) Prashant Jha
C) Shantanu Gupta
D) Nandan Singh Bisht
Explanation: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has launched a biography based on chronicles of his early struggle and lesser known aspects of his life. Titled ‘Trivendra Ek Zindaginama – Khairasain ka Sooraj’, the book is written by a doctor named Nandan Singh Bisht.
- Who has been appointed as the new BCCI General Manager (GM)-Cricket Operations?
A) Rajeev Shukla
B) Rahul Johri
C) Saba Karim
D) MV Sridhar
Explanation: BCCI has appointed former India wicketkeeper Saba Karim as General Manager, Cricket Operations. He will succeed Dr MV Sridhar who stepped down from position.
- Name the Deputy Prime Minister of Russia who recently visited India to participate in the meeting of India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC)
A) Dmitry Medvedev
B) Dmitry Rogozin
C) Valentina Matviyenko
D) Vyacheslav Volodin
Explanation:Russia’s Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin arrived in New Delhi. He will co-chair the meeting of India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC).
- Who has been elected as the new chief minister of Himachal Pradesh?
A) Pramod Sharma
B) Prem Kumar Dhumal
C) Jairam Thakur
D) Virbhadra Singh
Explanation: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Jairam Thakur has been announced as the next Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh. He will succeed Virbhadra Singh, who is serving as the Chief Minister of Himachal since 2012.
- Which among the following banks has recently launched a Medium Term Note (MTN) programme to raise fund worth USD 1 billion?
A) Yes Bank
B) Axis Bank
C) HDFC Bank
D) Kotak Mahindra Bank
Explanation: Private sector lender Yes Bank has established a Medium Term Note (MTN) programme to raise USD 1 billion (over 6,400 crore) by issuing debt securities on private placement basis. The programme is in order to enable the bank to issue debt instruments in the international capital markets, to eligible investors, from time to time, in one or more tranches and/or series.
- Name the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Airtel Payments Bank who recently quit from the post amid Aadhaar eKYC controversy
A) Renu Satti
B) Rishi Gupta
C) H Srikrishnan
D) Shashi Arora
Explanation: Airtel Payments Bank chief executive Shashi Arora has quit the company after a recent controversy surrounding India’s largest telecom operator and its payment bank’s alleged violation of rules on using Aadhaar for its electronic know-your-customer (e-KYC) verification process.
- Name the public sector bank that recorded the highest amount of NPAs by the end of second quarter of 2017-18 as per the data by the Reserve Bank of India
A) Punjab National Bank
B) State Bank of India
C) Union Bank of India
D) Bank of Baroda
Explanation: Among the major public sector banks and among private sector lenders , State Bank of India (SBI) (at over Rs 1.86 lakh crore) and ICICI Bank (at Rs 44,237 crore) respectively had the highest amount of NPAs.
- Who among the following has been appointed as the next Secretary General of Amnesty International?
A) Pierre Sane
B) Irene Khan
C) Salil Shetty
D) Kumi Naidoo
Explanation: South African human rights activist Kumi Naidoo has been appointed as the next Secretary General of Amnesty International. He will take over from Indian activist Salil Shetty in August 2018.
- The world’s largest amphibious aircraft, AG600, has been developed by which country?
A) United States
Explanation:China’s domestically developed AG600, the world’s largest amphibious aircraft, performed its maiden flight on 24th December.
- Who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of the Premier League in India?
A) Ranveer Singh
B) Varun Dhawan
C) Shahid Kapoor
D) Farhan Akhtar
Explanation: To promote football in India, the Premier League has forged a partnership with Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh. Premier Skills is a global coaching and referee development programme which uses football as a tool to engage and develop the skills of young people.
- India is set to build new LIGO gravitational wave detector in collaboration with global universities by which year?
Explanation: A new LIGO gravitational wave detector to measure ripples in the fabric of space and time is set to be built in India by 2025, in collaboration with universities from across the globe. The LIGO detectors discovered the first gravitational waves produced by two giant merging blackholes last year. The research won a Nobel Prize in Physics this year.
- India Government Mint (IGM),Mumbai has developed India’s high purity gold reference standard ________ which represents gold of ‘9999’ fineness
Explanation: India’s first home-grown high purity gold reference standard – the Bharatiya Nirdeshak Dravya (BND-4201) – was launched at the India Government Mint, Mumbai. BND-4201, which is the reference material for gold of ‘9999’ fineness (gold that is 99.99 per cent pure), will be beneficial to the consumers and public at large to ensure purity of gold.
Static GK Based on Current Affairs
- Who is the head of the World Health Organisation?
A) Tedros Adhanom
B) Ron Paul
C) Bennet Omalu
D) Magdi Yacoub
- The India Government Mint does not operate in which of the following states?
A) Mumbai, Maharashtra
B) Noida, Uttar Pradesh
C) Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
D) Kolkata, West Bengal
Explanation: The India Government Mint operates four mints in the country for the production of coins. They are in: Mumbai, Maharashtra; Kolkata, West Bengal; Hyderabad, Telangana and Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- Who is the President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)?
A) Tushar Arothe
B) Rajeev Shukla
C) Rahul Johri
D) C K Khanna
- Where is Amnesty International located?
A) Geneva, Switzerland
B) London, United Kingdom
C) Washington D.C, United States
D) Paris, France
- What is the currency of Russia?
One Thought to “Current Affairs Quiz: December 25, 2017”