Current Affairs 31 May 2018 Quiz
Read our Current Affairs and Newspaper Quiz daily to excel in General Awareness section of upcoming Competitive Exams.
Quiz from Current Affairs 30 May 2018 of A2Z – Click Here to Read Current Affairs of May 30, 2018
- Which country’s airlines has announced to launch world’s longest commercial flight in October 2018?
C) United Kingdom
D) United States
Explanation: Singapore Airlines has announced plans to launch the world’s longest commercial flight, a non-stop service from Singapore to New York from October, which will take nearly 19 hours. With this, the airline will overtake the current record holder of world’s longest existing flight, Qatar AirwaysFlight 921 from Auckland to Doha, which takes 17 hours 40 minutes covering 14,500km
- Moody’s has revised the growth forecast for India for the year 2018 at ______ percent in its latest update.
Explanation: International agency Moody’s Investor Services has cut India’s growth forecast to 7.3 percent from the previous 7.5 percent for calendar year 2018. However, it has maintained the estimate for 2019 at 7.5 percent’.
- Recently, President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Sadhu Vaswani International School in which Indian city?
Explanation: The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the Sadhu Vaswani International School in Pune on May 30, 2018. He also unveiled the statue of Matoshree Ramabai Bhimrao Ambedkar at the Matoshree Ramabai Bhimrao Ambedkar Garden in Pune.
- According to the Investor’s Business Daily report, which among the given companies has emerged as the top most valuable firm based on market capitalization?
Explanation: Microsoft has surpassed Alphabet, the parent company of Google, in the market capitalisation for the first time in three years, becoming the third most valuable firm after Apple and Amazon globally.
According to a report in Investor’s Business Daily, Microsoft had a market cap of $753 billion at the close of trading, almost $14 billion ahead of Apple leads with a market cap of nearly $924 billion and Amazon is at distant second, with nearly $783 billion.
- Who has been appointed as the new President of National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC)?
A) Justice D. K. Jain
B) Justice R K Agrawal
C) Justice V. Balakrishna Eradi
D) Justice Manu Needhi
Explanation: Former Supreme Court judge Justice R K Agrawal has been appointed the President of the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC). Justice Agrawal, who hails from Uttar Pradesh, will take over from Justice D K Jain, who will complete his term on May 31.
- The Indian Government has organised the 4 days long “Gaj Yatra” in which state?
Explanation: The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) rolled out the ‘Gaj Yatra’ from Tura, the principal town of Garo Hills in Meghalaya.
- How many agreements have been signed between India and Indonesia during PM Modi’s visit to the foreign nation recently?
Explanation: During the first leg of three nation tour, Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks with Indonesian President Joko Widodo in Jakarta and underlined the importance of boosting diplomatic, trade and economic ties between the two nations. Both the nations signed 15 agreements in various fields including defence, science and technological cooperation, railways and health.
- Vikas Gowda, renowned sports personality of India, announced his retirement recently. He is associated with which sports?
A) Discus Throw
Explanation: Top discus thrower Vikas Gowda announced retirement from the sport after competing at the highest level for more than 15 years. The four-time Olympian, who will turn 35 on July 5 became the first and only Indian male to win a Commonwealth Games medal in the discipline during his sports career.
- The 174th meeting of ESI Corporation took place in which city?
C) New Delhi
Explanation: The 174th meeting of ESI Corporation was held in New Delhi under the Chairmanship of Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar, Union Minister of State for Labour & Employment (I/C) to strengthen medical services in all the districts of the country.
- The International Conference on TRIPS- CBD Linkage is being organised in which of the following cities?
C) New York
D) New Delhi
Explanation: The Government of India, along with the Centre for WTO Studies, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade and the South Centre (an inter-governmental organisation based in Geneva), are organising an International Conference on TRIPS- CBD Linkage in Geneva on 7-8 June 2018 to discuss issues related to preventing theft of traditional knowledge.
- Who has been sworn in as the new Commander of Northern Command of the Indian Army?
A) Lt Gen Sarath Chand
B) Lt Gen Devraj Anbu
C) Lt Gen Deepak Kapoor
D) Lt Gen Ranbir Singh
Explanation: Lt Gen Ranbir Singh has been appointed as the new Northern Army commander. He succeeds Lt Gen Anbu who will take charge as Vice Chief of the Indian Army from June 1, 2018. He succeeds Lt Gen Sarath Chand who retires on May 31, 2018.
- Who among the given is set to take the Presidential charge of Paraguay after Horacio Cartes stepped down ahead of completing the tenure?
A) Alicia Pucheta
B) Blanca Ovelar
C) Marta Lafuente
D) Sheila Abed
Explanation: Paraguay will have a woman president for the first time in its history, at least temporarily, after outgoing leader Horacio Cartes stepped down ahead of schedule. Vice President Alicia Pucheta, 68, will complete Cartes’s mandate after he resigned on May 28 to become a senator.
- Goa observed its Statehood Day on May 30. It achieved the status of an independent state in which year?
Explanation: The Goa Statehood Day is celebrated every year on May 30 since 1987. The state observed its 31st Goa Statehood Day on May 30, 2018.
- US Capitol which is set to host the maiden gathering of Indian American officials in June 2018 is headquartered at___________
A) Los Angeles
B) New York
C) Washington D.C
Explanation: For the first time, the US Capitol will host a meeting of Indian American elected officials, candidates, philanthropists, community leaders, and political strategists on June 6, 2018.
- The 3rd Home Affairs’ Dialogue between India and U.K. was held in which city?
A) New Delhi
Explanation: The Third Home Affairs’ Dialogue between India and U.K. was held in New Delhi and covered a wide range of issues including cyber security, women safety, organized crime, terror financing etc.
- How much amount has been released by the Government of India to Nepal under Postal Highway Projects for two road packages of Birgunj-Thori Road?
A) Rs 33.30 crore
B) Rs 33.20 crore
C) Rs 33.00 crore
D) Rs 33.10 crore
Explanation: The Government of India has released Rs 33.10 crore to Nepal towards cost of two road packages of Birgunj-Thori Road being implemented under Postal Highway Projects in Nepal with Government of India’s grant assistance.
- Name the one day workshop organized by the Ministry of Railways to enhance the speed of freight and passenger trains?
A) Mission Tejaswi
B) Mission Pragati
C) Mission Raftaar
D) Mission Gatimaan
Explanation: Ministry of Railways conducted a one day workshop “Mission Raftaar” aimed at raising the average speed of freight trains and passenger trains in New Delhi.
- Name the first Indian to receive the prestigious Linnean Medal of the Linnean Society of London?
A) Kartar S Thind
B) Kattungal S Manilal
C) Arun Kumar Sharma
D) Kamaljit S. Bawa
Explanation: Indian Botanist Dr. Kamaljit S. Bawa, President of Bengaluru-based non-profit Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), received the prestigious Linnean Medal in Botany from the Linnean Society of London on May 24. Bawa is the first Indian to win the award ever since it was first constituted in 1888.
Static GK Based on Current Affairs
- The Northern Command of the Indian Army is headquartered at _______
- The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) was set up in which year?
Explanation: The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC), India is a quasi-judicialcommission in India which was set up in 1988 under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986. Its head office is in New Delhi.
- The intergovernmental organisation of developing nations named “South Centre” is headquartered at________
C) New Delhi
Explanation: The South Centre is an intergovernmental organisation of developing nations, established by an intergovernmental Agreement, which came into force on 31 July 1995, with its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Garo Hills are located in which state?
Explanation: The Garo Hills are part of the Garo-Khasi range in Meghalaya, India. They are inhabited mainly by tribal dwellers, the majority of whom are Garo people. It is one of the wettest places in the world.
Click here for the Current Affairs Quiz Section