Current Affairs 8 February 2018 Quiz
Read our Current Affairs and Newspaper Quiz daily to excel in General Awareness section of upcoming Competitive Exams.
Quiz from Current Affairs 7 February 2018 of A2Z – Click Here to Read Current Affairs of February 7, 2018
- Instant messaging service provide Hike has partnered with which telecom service provider to launch a new service named ‘Total’ for smartphone users?
Explanation: Homegrown messaging app Hike Messenger partnered with telecom service provider Airtel to embed its “Total” service on mobile phones under the latter’s “Mera Pehla Smartphone” programme.
- United States based SpaceX successfully launched the world’s most powerful rocket into the outer space on February 6. Name the rocket
A) Falcon XXX
B) Falcon Jumbo
C) Falcon 9X
D) Falcon Heavy
Explanation: Business tycoon Elon Musk’s SpaceX has created history by successfully launching the Falcon Heavy rocket, the most powerful operational rocket in the world, into outer space. The rocket, which is on its course to the orbit of planet Mars, is the first step in Musk’s ambitious dream to send humans to Mars and create a colony on the planet.
- In its final bi-monthly monetary policy review of the fiscal 2017-18, RBI has kept the Repo Rate at ____ percent
A) 6 percent
B) 6.5 percent
C) 5 percent
D) 5.5 percent
Explanation: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) kept its key interest rate unchanged at 6 per cent for the fourth time in succession at its final bi-monthly monetary policy review of the fiscal, citing concerns about the inflationary push by rising global crude oil prices. Repo Rate: Unchanged at 6% and Reverse Repo Rate: Unchanged at 5.75%
- Name the Indian women cricketer to achieve the feat of becoming the first player of the world to take 200 wickets in ODI series
A) Harmanpreet Kaur
B) Jhulan Goswami
C) Veda Krishnamurthy
D) Smriti Mandhana
Explanation: Indian women’s cricket team pacer Jhulan Goswami has become the first woman in the world to take 200 wickets in ODI cricket. Goswami achieved the feat playing in her 166th ODI against South Africa. Goswami had become the leading wicket-taker in women’s ODIs in May last year, overtaking former Australian pacer Cathryn Fitzpatrick’s record of 180 wickets.
- Which among the following states recently organized India’s first ever Pelican Festival?
C) Andhra Pradesh
D) Tamil Nadu
Explanation: The Andhra Pradesh government has decided to hold the first-of-its-kind, one-day Pelican Festival at the Atapaka Bird Sanctuary on Kolleru. Kolleru is one of the largest freshwater lakes in the country. Atapaka village is located on the borders of the Krishna and the West Godavari districts.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to link the base rate with the MCLR with effect from _______ to ensure quicker transmission of policy rates to existing loan interest rate to borrowers
A) May 1, 2018
B) April 1, 2018
C) March 1, 2018
D) June 1, 2018
Explanation: To speed up retail transmission by banks of the central bank’s cuts in the lending rate, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said that it will link the Base Rate with the Marginal Cost of Funds-based Lending Rate (MCLR) from the next fiscal. The RBI introduced the MCLR from April 1, 2016, as a system working in tandem with its policy rates, which commercial banks have been slow in accepting, preferring to continue with the Base Rate regime. As per RBI guidelines, banks have to prepare their MCLR which would serve as the internal benchmark lending rate.
- Who has been appointed as the MD & CEO of SBI Card recently?
A) Hardayal Prasad
B) Vijay Jasuja
C) Arijit Basu
D) Rajnish Kumar
Explanation: SBI Card, the country’s second largest credit card issuer, has appointed Hardayal Prasad as new Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer.
- How much amount has been allocated to Government of Odisha in the Union Budget 2018-19 for its railway projects?
A) Rs 6,500 crore
B) Rs 5,450 crore
C) Rs 6,105 crore
D) Rs 5,252 crore
Explanation: The union government has allocated Rs 5,252 crore in the Union Budget 2018-19 for railway projects in the state as against the state’s demand for Rs 6,500 crore. It received Rs 150 crore more compared with last year’s budget, which is the highest ever allocation for Odisha in any Budget pertaining to railways.
- Which among the following payments bank has collaborated with Mumbai Dabbawala Association to use digital banking services for collecting instant payments?
A) India Post Payments Bank
B) Fino Payments Bank
C) Airtel Payments Bank
D) Paytm Payments Bank
Explanation: Paytm Payments Bank, a digital bank which provides zero balance accounts and zero charges on digital transactions, partnered with the Mumbai Dabbawala Association, the pioneers of home-cooked food delivery. As part of this association, around 5000 dabbawalas will now be able to collect instant payments for their Dabba service through Paytm QR. Additionally, they will also avail an easy access to banking and other financial services by opening their bank accounts with Paytm Payments Bank.
- According to the Reserve Bank of India, what is the projected inflation rate for the first half of 2018-19?
A) 4.6 to 5.6 %
B) 6.6 to 7.2 %
C) 5.1 to 5.6 %
D) 5.6 to 7.2 %
Explanation: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) revealed that the estimated inflation for first half of the next fiscal would stand at 5.1 to 5.6 percent. However, RBI Governor Urjit Patel noted that it may ease to 4.6 percent, likely in the second half.
- Renowned artist Madavoor Vasudevan Nair passed away recently. He was a maestro of ________
Explanation: Kathakali maestro Madavoor Vasudevan Nair has passed away. He was 89. He was a recipient of several awards including Padma Bhushan.
- The 88th Mahamastakabhisheka Utsav has been inaugurated in which Indian state by President Ram Nath Kovind recently?
C) Andhra Pradesh
D) Tamil Nadu
Explanation: The President of India Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the 88th Mahamastakabhisheka Utsav of Lord Gomateshwara in Hassan district of Karnataka. Mahamastakabhisheka of Gommateshwara, who is also known as Bahubali takes place once in 12 years. It is an important Jain pilgrimage centre and lakhs of tourists visit Shravanbelagola to see 57 feet tall monolithic stone statue.
- How much amount has been sanctioned by the Department of Heavy Industry in budget 2018-19 towards the development of 800 MW advanced ultra super critical thermal power plant project?
A) Rs 250 crore
B) Rs 150 crore
C) Rs 200 crore
D) Rs 100 crore
Explanation: The development of 800 MW advanced ultra super critical thermal power plant project got Rs 100 crore for next year from the Department of Heavy Industry with a target to finalise the turbine design, as per 2018-19 budget papers.
- According to a report by Fitch Group unit-BMI Research, India’s fiscal deficit is expected to increase to ____ percent of GDP in 2018-19
A) 3.3 Percent
B) 3.5 Percent
C) 4.0 Percent
D) 3.7 Percent
Explanation: According to the report by BMI Research, a unit of Fitch Group, India’s fiscal deficit is expected to come in at 3.5 per cent of GDP in financial year 2018-19, as policymakers seek to promote economic growth by reducing the pace of fiscal consolidation.
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has sanctioned _____solar cities to be developed cross the country under its ‘Development of Solar Cities’ scheme
Explanation: The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy under its scheme “Development of Solar Cities” has approved/sanctioned 60 Cities including 13 Pilot and 5 Model Cities up to 12th Five-year Plan period.
- The Banking Ombudsman Scheme is operational since which year?
Explanation: The Reserve Bank of India announced setting up ombudsman for addressing customer grievances in the non-banking finance companies. RBI will start with deposit taking NBFCs and widen the scope to cover NBFCs with asset size of Rs 100 crore. Banking ombudsman is a quasi judicial authority, created to resolve customer complaints against banks relating to certain services provided by them. The Banking Ombudsman Scheme is operational from 1995.
- What is the current Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) Rate?
Explanation: Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) Rate: Unchanged at 6.25%
Bank Rate: Unchanged at 6.25%
Cash Reserve Ratio: Unchanged at 4%
Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR): Unchanged at 19.5%
Static GK Based on Current Affairs
- The Marginal Cost of Funds Lending Rate (MCLR) was introduced in which year?
Explanation:The RBI introduced the MCLR from April 1, 2016, as a system working in tandem with its policy rates, which commercial banks have been slow in accepting, preferring to continue with the Base Rate regime.
- Who is the President of credit rating agency Fitch Ratings Inc?
A) Linda S. Huber
B) Paul Taylor
C) John Berisford
D) John J. Goggins
Explanation: Its headquarters are located in New York City, New York, U.S. and London, England, U.K.
- Atapaka Bird Sanctuary is located in which state?
C) Andhra Pradesh
- One of the largest freshwater lakes in India, Kolleru Lake is in which state?
D) Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: Kolleru is one of the largest freshwater lakes in the country. Atapaka village is located on the borders of the Krishna and the West Godavari districts.
- Who is the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) in the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy?
A) Meena Singh
B) Raj Kumar Singh
C) Farooq Abdullah
D) Sriprakash Jaiswal
Explanation: Constituency- Arrah
2 Thoughts to “Current Affairs Quiz: February 8, 2018”
Thank u mam