Current Affairs 9 June 2018 Quiz
Read our Current Affairs and Newspaper Quiz daily to excel in General Awareness section of upcoming Competitive Exams.
Quiz from Current Affairs 8 June 2018 of A2Z – Click Here to Read Current Affairs of June 8, 2018
- The Government of India has announced to establish a committee for recommending on the formation of an Asset Reconstruction Company. The committee will be headed by__________
A) Sunil Mehta
B) P S Jayakumar
C) Rajnish Kumar
D) G. Padmanabhan
Explanation: Finance Minister Piyush Goyal has announced setting up of a committee to give recommendations on the formation of an Asset Reconstruction Company for faster resolution of stressed accounts of public sector banks. The committee is chaired by Sunil Mehta, the non-executive Chairman of Punjab National Bank, and would examine whether such an arrangement would be good for the banking system.
- How much amount has been approved by the West Bengal government to check riverbank soil erosion along Ganga and Padma?
A) Rs 129 crore
B) Rs 95 crore
C) Rs 107 crore
D) Rs 111 crore
Explanation: The state government of West Bengal has decided to invest Rs 107 crore to check erosion at vulnerable areas along the banks of the Ganga and the Padma. The work will be completed by March 2019. A stretch of 15 kilometres will be concretised, to prevent erosion.
- Which among the following women’s cricket team has clinched the world record of posting highest ever One-Day International (ODI) score of 490?
D) New Zealand
Explanation: New Zealand women’s team smashed the world record for the highest ever One-Day International (ODI) score by posting a mammoth 490-4 against Ireland at at the YMCA Sports Club, Dublin. New Zealand broke their own 21-year-old record women’s ODI total of 455 -5 made against Pakistan at Christchurch in 1997.
- Renowned celebrity chef and TV anchor Anthony Bourdain died recently. He hailed from which country?
B) United States
C) United Kingdom
Explanation: US Anthony Bourdain, celebrity chef, adventurer and television host, has died at the age of 61. Bourdain was in France shooting for the upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series, “Parts Unknown”during which he was found dead in his hotel room.
- The northeastern state of Sikkim has got its longest state of the art tunnel ‘Theng Tunnel’. This tunnel will connect capital city Gangtok to___________
Explanation: Minister of State for Defence Subhash Ramrao Bhamre inaugurated 578-metre-long Theng Tunnel in Sikkim. This is the longest tunnel in Sikkim constructed on Gangtok-Chungthang State Highway by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO). The tunnel would provide all-weather connectivity.
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has sanctioned over Rs 5500 crore for the procurement of ____High Power Radars for the Indian Air Force under ‘Buy (Indian) IDDM’ category.
Explanation: The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman, has approved the procurement of equipment for the Defence Forces valued at over Rs 5500 crore. Pursuing the goal of indigenisation and self-reliance in the field of Defence Procurements, the DAC approved procurement of 12 High Power Radars for the Indian Air Force under ‘Buy (Indian) IDDM’ category. The DAC also accorded approval for procurement of Air Cushion Vehicles (ACVs) for the Indian Coast Guard and Indian Army from Indian Shipyard.
- Which Indian state has decided to scrap semester system in undergraduate courses from this academic session?
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) Himachal Pradesh
Explanation: The Himachal Pradesh government has decided to discontinue with the semester system in undergraduate coursesand re-establish the annual examination system from the coming session under Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA). The government also decided to start nursery classes in 3,000 schools from the current year.
- When is the World Ocean Day observed?
A) June 7
B) June 8
C) June 6
D) June 5
Explanation: World Oceans Day is held every year on 8th June to raise awareness of the vital importance of our oceans and the role they play in sustaining a healthy planet.
- The Kalinga Literary Festival (KLF) is an annual literary fest. organised by which state?
C) Tamil Nadu
D) Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: The 5th edition of the Kalinga Literary Festival (KLF) kick-started in Odisha in the presence of eminent personalities from Indian literature, politics, media, and public services. KLF is an annual literary festival held in the Smart and Temple city of Bhubaneswar of Odisha normally in the month of June each year. Kalinga Literary Festival was launched in 2014 to celebrate the Classical Language Status of Odia language.
- Which state has declared itself as the India’s first state to achieve the status of Open Defecation Free (ODF) state?
C) Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has announced that the state was now Open Defecation Free (ODF) as it had achieved its goal of constructing 2.77 lakh individual toilets. With this achievement, Andhra Pradesh becomes the first large state in the country to be declared as Open Defecation Free.The state is now working towards achieving the ODF+ status.
- Recently a workshop on ‘Skill Development in Port and Maritime Sector’ was conducted in which city?
D) New Delhi
Explanation: A day-long workshop on ‘Skill Development in Port and Maritime Sector’ was conducted in New Delhi. The workshop was organised by Ministry of Shipping in association with Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gramin Kaushal Yojana under the Ministry of Rural Development.
- What is the theme of the World Oceans Day 2018?
A) Together We Have the Power to Protect the Ocean
B) Oceans of Life: Pick your Favorite * Protect your Favorite
C) Preventing Plastic Pollution and Encouraging Solutions for a Healthy Ocean
D) Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet
Explanation: The conservation action theme for World Oceans Day 2018 is “Preventing Plastic Pollution and Encouraging Solutions for a Healthy Ocean”.
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Summit 2018 has been organised in which country?
Explanation: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the first time will participate in the upcoming Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit in China as a full member. The forthcoming 18th meeting of the Council of Heads of State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization will be held in Qingdao in China on June 9th and 10th.
- The “Business First Portal” has been unveiled by which state to promote ease of doing business?
D) Madhya Pradesh
Explanation: The Punjab government has launched a “Business First Portal” to facilitate ease of doing business in the state. The online Portal would facilitate the industrialists for Regulatory Clearances and Fiscal Approvals, real time tracking of applications at common platform.
Static GK Based on Current Affairs
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy is a national sports award given to_______
A) Sports Coaches
B) Olympic Medallists
D) Sports Broadcasting Channel
Explanation: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy was instituted in 1956- 57 as a running trophy by the Ministry of Education, Govt. of India. This running trophy is awarded by the President of India each year to a University which has all round best performance in sports at Inter-University, National and International competitions.
- What is the rate of interest offered on revised Gold Monetisation Scheme (GMS) of 2015 on Medium Term Government Deposit (MTGD)?
Explanation: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has made changes in the Gold Monetisation Scheme (GMS) of 2015 to enable people to open a hassle-free gold deposit account. The current rate of interest as notified by the Central Government are as under:
(i) On medium term deposit – 2.25% p.a.
(ii) On long term deposit – 2.50% p.a.
Click here for the Current Affairs Quiz Section