Daily Current Affairs 1 April 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India gets first US LNG shipment at Dabhol, Maharashtra
India received its first LNG cargo from the US under a long-term supply deal when a ship carrying super-cooled natural gas arrived at Dabhol in Maharashtra.
- The first cargo from the project arrived at Dabhol, the cite of India’s biggest gas-fired power plant.
India’s longest elevated road inaugurated by Yogi Adityanath
The much awaited India’s longest elevated road was finally inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. The 10.3 km long Hindon Elevated Road’s primary objectivity was to ease traffic movement from Ghaziabad to New Delhi and vice versa.
Delhi becomes first city to roll-out Euro VI fuel
With an aim to combat the rising levels of air pollution in Delhi-NCR region, petrol pumps in the capital from 1st April 2018 started supplying ultra-clean Bharat Stage VI grade fuel (both petrol and diesel).
- This move makes New Delhi the first city in the country to switch from BS-IV grade fuels to BS-VI (equivalent to fuel meeting Euro-VI emission norms).
- Other cities like Noida, Ghaziabad, Gurugram and Faridabad along with 13 major cities, including Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Pune, will also switch over to cleaner BS-VI grade fuel from January 1 next year.
- However, BS- VI fuel will be rolled out in rest of the country by April 2020.
Odisha celebrates Utkal Divas
People across Odisha celebrated Utkal Divas on 1st April 2018 to commemorate the formation of the state in 1936.
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik extended his greetings and paid tribute to those who sacrificed their lives for the formation of a separate state which was carved out of a combined Bengal-Bihar-Odisha province on April 1, 1936.
- Sand artist Sudarsan Patnaik created a special sculpture at the Puri beach marking the occasion.
Petroleum Minister inaugurates World-Class Interpretation Centre and Tourist Amenities
Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, inaugurated the world-class Interpretation Centre and tourist facilities at Konark Sun Temple at Konark which coincides with Utkal Divas celebrations in Odisha.
Madhya Pradesh’s Kadaknath chicken gets Geographical Indication tag
Six years after it applied for the Geographical Indications (GI) tag for Kadaknath, a chicken breed whose black meat is in demand in some quarters, Madhya Pradesh has got the coveted label.
Russia tests new nuclear intercontinental ballistic missile Sarmat
The Russian military has successfully tested its latest intercontinental ballistic missile “Sarmat”. Sarmat is intended to replace the Soviet-designed Voyevoda, the world’s heaviest ICBM known as “Satan” in the West.
India replaces Vietnam to become second largest producer of mobile phones
India is now the second-largest mobile phone producer in the world after China. According to the data shared by Indian Cellular Association with the government, annual production of mobile phones in India increased from 3 million units in 2014 to 11 million units in 2017.
Mithali Raj adjudged ‘Sportsperson of the Year’
Indian women’s cricket team captain Mithali Raj was adjudged ‘Sportsperson of the Year’ while ace shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and P V Sindhu bagged the best senior male and female athletes at the Telangana Sports Journalists Association annual awards for 2017.
- Pullela Gopichand was given ‘best coach of the year’ award while triple Olympian and former national Hockey player N Mukesh Kumar was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement award at the event.
Kerala lifts their sixth Santosh Trophy
Kerala have lifted their sixth Santosh Trophy Football title. In a thrilling final at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata, they beat defending champions and 32-time winners Bengal via penalty shootout.
Sloane Stephens won Miami Open
US Open champion Sloane Stephens defeated Latvian Jelena Ostapenko 7-6 (7-5) 6-1 to win her first Miami Open title. Sloane Stephens has now won 6 WTA titles & has never lost in a final.
Veteran movie director Rajendran passes away
Veteran movie director C.V.Rajendran, who was ailing for sometime, has passed away. He was 81.