Daily Current Affairs 1 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi launches Academic Bank Of Credit, other initiatives on first anniversary of NEP 2020
Prime Minister Modi launched multiple educational initiatives including Academic Bank of Credits, National Digital Education Architecture and other initiatives to mark the completion of one year of reforms under the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- The Academic Bank of Credit will provide flexible multiple entries and exit options for students in Higher education.
- Multiple entry/exit will help students break away from the shackles of sticking to one stream. One can select their course and can exit if they are not interested.
- The new National Education Policy assures the youth that the country is complete with them and with their spirits. The program of artificial intelligence (AI) launched now will also make our youngsters future-oriented and will create a way for AI-driven economy.
National Health Adaptation Plan on Air Pollution launched by Health Minister
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Shri. Mansukh Mandaviya presided over the 112th Annual Day celebrations of National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) along with Dr. Bharati Pawar, MoS (HFW). At the event, the Union Health Minister virtually inaugurated the Whole Genome Sequencing National Reference Laboratory for Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and BSL 3 Laboratory along with a PG hostel and Guest House. The L3 laboratory complex has five floors and houses 22 Biosafety level (BSL) II laboratories.
- The Union Health Minister also launched the National Health Adaptation Plan on Air Pollution and National Health Adaptation Plan on Heat along with infographics and the first newsletter under the “National Programme on Climate Change and Human Health” developed by Centre of Environmental and Occupational Health, Climate Change and Health at NCDC.
BANKING & FINANCE
Magma Fincorp renamed Poonawalla Fincorp after takeover by Adar Poonawalla
Magma Fincorp has been renamed as Poonawalla Fincorp with effect from July 22 after Adar Poonawalla-led Rising Sun Holdings acquired a controlling stake in the non-banking finance company (NBFC).
- Rising Sun Holdings had acquired a controlling stake in the NBFC through an equity infusion of Rs 3,456 crore. The transaction was completed on May 21, and Adar Poonawalla was appointed as the company’s Chairman on May 31.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Centre’s fiscal deficit touch 18.2 pc of annual target at end of June
The Central Government’s fiscal deficit stood at Rs 2.74 lakh crore or 18.2 per cent of the full year’s Budget estimate at the end of June, according to data released by the Controller General of Accounts (CGA).
- The fiscal deficit at the end of June 2020 was 83.2 per cent of the Budget Estimates (BE) of 2020-21.In absolute terms, the fiscal deficit was at Rs 2,74,245 crore at the end of June.
- The fiscal deficit or the gap between expenditure and revenue for 2020-21 was 9.3 per cent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), better than 9.5 per cent projected in the revised estimates in the Budget in February.
Labhanshu Sharma wins Bharat Kesari Wrestling Dangal for Uttrakhand
Indian Wrestler Labhanshu Sharma has created history by winning the Bharat Kesari Wrestling Dangal 2021 organised in Tamil Nadu this year.
- 20 years since the formation of Uttarakhand, Labhanshu has broken the drought and won the title of Bharat Kesari for the state.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
YouTube to acquire video-based social commerce startup simsim
Google’s YouTube has signed a definitive agreement to buy video shopping app simsim as it looks to help discover and buy products from Indian retailers.
- The terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
- In its blogpost, Google said this deal builds up on its ongoing investments in India that includes the $10 billion India Digitization Fund.
Sai Life Sciences wins Golden Peacock National Training Award 2021
Sai Life Sciences, one of India’s fastest growing Contract Research, Development & Manufacturing Organizations (CRDMOs), announced that it has been honoured with the Golden Peacock National Training Award 2021 in the pharmaceutical category.
- This is the second consecutive Golden Peacock Award for the company following the Golden Peacock National Quality Award it received in 2020.
Centenarian Sprinter Man Kaur passes away
Centenarian sprinter Man Kaur, referred to as ‘Miracle from Chandigarh’, died of a heart attack. She was 105.
- The multiple World Masters Games medallist from Patiala, won her first medal at the Chandigarh Master’s in 2010 where she was noticed by David Premnath, general secretary of the Masters Athletic Federation of India.
- In 2011, she won the 100 metre sprint at the World Masters Games in Auckland in 2017 and held several world records. In 2019, She also won gold in track and field events at the World Masters Athletic Championship in Torun, Poland. Kaur bagged the gold in 60m dash race, 200m sprint, shot put and javelin throw.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
‘The Khan of Khel Khudaai’ book by Harshaa Bharatula
Author Harshaa Bharatula’s debut novel, “The Khan of Khel Khudaai,” has been released recently.
- The book gives readers an insight into the culture and the complex manoeuvres of multiple entities – Afghan and non-Afghan. The story captures readers’ attention, especially now when political conditions in Afghanistan have made headlines worldwide.
Muslim Women Rights Day
The ministry of minority affairs announced that “Muslim Women Rights Day” will be observed across the country on August 1.
- It will celebrate the second anniversary of the enactment of the law against triple talaq.
Peru commemorates 200th anniversary of its independence
On July 28, Peru will commemorate 200 years of independence from erstwhile Spanish Empire.
- Peru and India are two nations with a glorious past, and a forward-looking future, which continue to share cordial and ever-closer ties with each other. The two countries enjoy excellent people-to-people relations, trade ties that have soared in the past decade, and an active diplomatic connection, both bilaterally and multilaterally.