Daily Current Affairs 1 December 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurates Suryadhar Lake
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the Suryadhar lake at Doiwala in Dehradun.
- Suryadhar lake has been built at a cost of Rs 50.25 crore.It is 550 metres long, 28 metres wide and 10 metres deep with a capacity of 77,000 cubic metres.
- The lake will address the drinking water and irrigational needs of nearly 20 villages around it and is also set to become a major tourist and water sports destination in coming times.
Assam govt launches ‘Orunodoi’ scheme
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowalon launched the biggest-ever Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme called ‘Orunodoi’, aiming to cover 22 lakh families in the state.
- The scheme has been rolled out with 17 lakh families as beneficiaries at present. The government said that it will transfer Rs 830 per month to the account of one of the female members of the family under the ‘Orunodoi’ scheme.
- The number of beneficiaries will increase to about 22 lakh once the BTC districts are also included.
“Child-friendly” police station launched in Pune
The city’s first “child-friendly” police station was inaugurated at the cantonment police station in Pune, premises by Abhay Karandikar, director, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT).
- This police station will work towards character building among children and will also work in changing the notion that police are not enemies but friends of people.
- The child friendly police station houses books and and toys and will also work towards character building among children.
Govt. announces Rs 900 crore package for COVID-19 Vaccine Development Mission
The Centre has announced the third stimulus package of Rs 900 crore for the Mission COVID Suraksha- The Indian COVID-19 Vaccine Development Mission.
- This grant will be provided to the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) for Research and Development of Indian COVID-19 vaccines with end-to-end focus from preclinical development through clinical development and manufacturing and regulatory facilitation for deployment.
- It would consolidate all available and funded resources towards an accelerated product development.
- The Ministry of Science and Technology said that this will help accelerate development of approximately 5 to 6 vaccine candidates.
Madhya Pradesh Aims to completely eliminate AIDS by 2030
Madhya Pradesh did not see a significant increase in the number of HIV patients in the last two years. As per Union health ministry report issued this September 20, the state reported 0.59 lakh patients in 2018 and The government aims to completely eliminate AIDS by 2030
- The highest number 12 thousand 773 patients reported in Indore. Bhopal is at number two with more than 7 thousand patients. Jabalpur has around 6 thousand patients while Gwalior has more than 3 thousand HIV patients.
- The highest 68 percent HIV infected people belong to the age group of 25 to 49 years.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB, India sign 132.8 million loan to strengthen Meghalaya’s power distribution Sector
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $132.8 million loan to strengthen and modernize the distribution network and improve the quality of power supplied to households, industries, and businesses in India’s northeastern state of Meghalaya.
- The project will construct 23 substations; renovate and modernize 45 substations, including the provision of control room equipment and protection systems; install and upgrade 2,214 kilometers of distribution lines and associated facilities covering three out of the six circles in the state.
- Installation of smart meters will benefit about 180,000 households.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Highest FDI inflows to India coming from Singapore and USA
The U.S. has emerged as the second biggest source of foreign direct investment (FDI) into India after Singapore, replacing Mauritius, during the first half of the current financial year, according to data of the Commerce and Industry Ministry.
- During April-September 2020, India attracted FDI worth $7.12 billion from the U.S. and $2 billion from Mauritius, which slipped to fourth position, the DPIIT (Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade) data showed.
- Singapore with $8.30 billion foreign inflows continued to be the top source of FDI for India in April-September 2020-21. The country has received $2.1 billion inflows from Cayman Isands.
- The islands was followed by Netherlands ($1.5 billion), U.K. ($1.35 billion), France ($1.13 billion), Japan ($653 million) , Germany ($202 million), and Cyprus ($48 million).
Lewis Hamilton wins 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton has won the 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix at Bahrain International Circuit, Bahrain.
- The race was the fifteenth round of the 2020 Formula One World Championship. This is the 11th victory for Hamilton of the season, and 95th F1 win of his career.
- With this win, Hamilton now holds the records for the most wins (95), in Formula One history.
- Red Bull Racing teammates Max Verstappen and Alexander Albon were second and third respectively.
Varsha Joshi named Chairperson of NDDB
The Government of India appointed Varsha Joshi as the new Chairperson of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
- Joshi is the Joint Secretary (CDD), Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Government of India.
- With incumbent Dilip Rath’s tenure as Chairman of NDDB ends on November 30, 2020, Joshi’s appointment is made effective from December 1, 2020 until further orders.
Senior IAS Officer Utpal Kumar Singh Appointed Lok Sabha Secretary General
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla appointed senior IAS officer Utpal Kumar Singh as Secretary General of the Lok Sabha.
- Mr Singh, a 1986 batch IAS officer of Uttrakhand Cadre, will assume charge on December 1.
- He will succeed incumbent Snehlata Shrivastava
AR Rahman appointed BAFTA Breakthrough India ambassador
Academy Award-winning music composer AR Rahman was announced as the ambassador for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts’ (BAFTA) ‘Breakthrough Initiative’.
- The initiative, supported by Netflix, aims to identify, celebrate, and support up to five talents working in film, games, or TV in India.
- As part of BAFTA Breakthrough India, a jury of British and Indian industry experts will select five talents from across India to take part in the year-long mentoring and guidance programme.
Rajya Sabha MP Abhay Bhardwaj passes away
Rajya Sabha MP from Gujarat, Abhay Bhardwaj died due to Covid19 in a Chennai hospital. He was 66.
- Bharadwaj was a prominent lawyer and was elected to Rajya Sabha in June this year.
Senegalese Footballer Papa Bouba Diop passes away
Former Senegal midfielder Papa Bouba Diop has died at the age of 42.
- Diop is best known in his native country for scoring the winning goal against then defending champions France in the opening match of the 2002 World Cup.
- He won the 2008 FA Cup with Portsmouth in a club career that included stints at French club Lens, Fulham, West Ham United and Birmingham City.
World AIDS Day
World AIDS Day takes place on 1 December each year to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection and mourning those who have died of the disease.
- This year’s theme for World AIDS Day is ‘Ending the HIV/AIDS epidemic: Resilience and Impact’ .