Daily Current Affairs 1 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India first country to digitise entire Hajj process, says President
President Ram Nath Kovind said that a record 2 lakh Indian Muslims performed Hajj this time and India is the first country in the world where the entire process of Hajj was done digitally and online
Telangana tops in best performing state in sustainable growth: UNDP India
Telangana has emerged as the best performing state in promoting inclusive and sustainable economic growth and decent work for all on Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index 2019, according to United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) India.
- The state has improved its performance over 2018 in eight out of 17 SDGs. In decent work and economic growth, India’s youngest state moved to 82 percent from 75 percent in the previous year.
Under PMAY-G, centre aims to achieve objective of housing for all by 2022
Union Government aims to achieve objective of Housing for All by 2022 under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Grameen. A total of over one crore 50 lakh rural houses have been completed in the last five years. Government has set a target of 60 lakh houses for the current financial year.
Nagoba Jatra festival celebrated in Telangana
Nagoba Jatara is a tribal festival held in Keslapur village, Inderavelly Mandal Adilabad district, Telangana, India. It is the second biggest tribal carnival and celebrated by Mesaram clan of Gond tribes for 10 days. Tribal people from Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Orissa and Madhya Pradesh belonging to the Mesram clan offer prayers at the festival.
India Railways to offer content on demand service by 2022
Content on Demand (CoD) will available in all Premium/Express/Mail trains and Suburban trains of Indian Railways by 2022.
- With an aim to generate more non fare revenue, Railway Board had entrusted RailTel, a miniratna PSU under Ministry of Railways, with providing the Content on Demand service to passengers in trains.
9th Tomtom Traffic Index 2019: Bengaluru has world’s worst traffic; 4 Indian cities in top 10 list
Bengaluru emerged as the worst traffic congested city globally in the TomTom Traffic Index of 2019. Along with it, three other Indian cities have made it to the top 10 list of the Dutch real-time traffic information and services company.
- As per the results of the TomTom Traffic Index, a report detailing the traffic situation in 416 cities in 57 countries. Apart from Bengaluru, three other Indian cities are in the top 10 of the traffic index. These include Mumbai (65%), Pune (59%) and New Delhi (56%) at the fourth, fifth and eight position, respectively.
12th South Asia Conference held in New Delhi
The 12th edition of the annual South Asia Conference was held in New Delhi.The theme of the South Asia Conference 2020 was India’s “Neighbourhood First” Policy: Regional Perceptions.
- The conference is organised by the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), New Delhi since 2007.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Bank launches first-of-its-kind 24×7 self-service delivery facility , ‘iBox’
Private sector lender ICICI Bank Ltd has launched ‘iBox’, a 24×7 self-service delivery facility that allows its customers to collect their deliverables such as debit card, credit card, cheque book and returned-cheques, from a branch close to their home or office.
- This facility is especially useful for customers who are not available at home to receive their package during working hours.
Indian Bank launched two-tailor made credit products for textile sector
Public sector Indian Bank on Thursday announced the launch of two tailor-made credit products Corporate Loan and Ind Surya Shakthi/ Indian Bank Solar for the benefit of the textile sector.
- The Corporate Loan, to be offered at ‘affordable’ interest rates, will help industries meet their working capital requirements while Surya shakthi is a Term Loan for setting up roof-top solar power plants for captive consumption which will give a thrust to the renewable energy utilisation culture in the textile sector
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Tata AIG in collaboration with DFI to develop insurance products for drone industry
Private sector general insurer Tata AIG General Insurance Company has tied up with Drone Federation of India (DFI) for drone insurance. DFI is a not-for-profit industry-led body that strives to build a safe and scalable unmanned aviation industry in India.
Messi becomes first player to win 500 matches in Spanish football history
Barcelona’s striker Lionel Messi has become the first player to record 500 wins in the history of Spanish football.He achieved the feat against Leganes in the ongoing Copa del Rey tournament as Barcelona defeated the visitors 5-0.
- These number of wins (500) is the highest recorded by a single player in Spanish football. The 32-year-old Messi took 710 games to register this number of wins.
Bala Devi the first Indian woman to sign up for a Rangers FC foreign football club
Renowned Scottish club Rangers FC announced the signing of women’s national team forward Bala Devi, a first in Indian football.
- Subject to international clearance, the 29-year-old will join the club on an 18-month deal after a successful spell on trial at Rangers in November.This will make Bala the first Indian woman to become a professional foot
Wipro CEO Abidali Neemuchwala decides to step down
Tech giant Wipro Limited announced that its Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director Abidali Z Neemuchwala has decided to step down due to family commitments.
- Neemuchwala has served as the CEO and MD of Wipro since February 2016. Prior to that, he was the CEO of the BPO division of Tata Consultancy Services Limited.
Journalist Yusuf Jameel won 2019 PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism
Senior journalist from Jammu and Kashmir Yusuf Jameel has been selected for the 2019-2020 PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism. “His work in journalism shows an exemplary commitment to professional integrity and the ideals of democracy,” reads the citation of the award
CSS Corp wins the 2020 BIG Innovation Award
CSS Corp, a new-age IT services and technology company, announced it has been named a winner in the 2020 BIG Innovation Awards presented by the Business Intelligence Group.
- CSS Corp was lauded for its Digital Customer Experience Platform for its ability to transform customer support from an effort-led to an intelligence-led ecosystem for modern B2B and B2C enterprises.
Noted Urdu poet Ajmal Sultanpuri passed away at 97
Noted Urdu poet Ajmal Sultanpuri died here after protracted illness.He was 97.
- He was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by Uttar Pradesh Urdu Academy in March 2016 for his contribution to Urdu poetry.
- “Kahan Hai Mera Hindustan” and “Agar Main Tera Shahjahan” are two of his popular poems.
Former India basketball captain Matthew Satya Babu passes away 79
Veteran basketball player P Mathew Satya Babu died in Chennai on Thursday after a brief illness. He was 79.
- Mathew Satya Babu had represented India in the Asian Basketball Championship in Seoul in South Korea in 1967, Bangkok in 1969 and Manila in 1970. He led India in the Asian Games in Bangkok in 1970 and was a qualified NIS basketball coach and a B panel Basketball Federation of India referee.
Assamese litterateur Sashi Sarma passed away at 89
Noted Assamese litterateur, thinker and educationist Sashi Sharma passed away at his residence in Nalbari. He was 89
- The scholar was honoured with several awards during his lifetime and has written numerous books on Assamese literature. In 1968, he was honoured with the “Soviet Nehru Award” and the Asam Xahitya Xabha also conferred him with the Sitanath Brahma Choudhury Award.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Calcutta Nights” – Book reveals Kolkata’s best kept secrets
A classic by famous Bengali author Hemendra Kumar Roy has been translated into English almost a century after it was published in 1923 and reveals to the contemporary readers the darkest secrets of the erstwhile Calcutta.
- In the book, translated into English by Rajat Chaudhuri, Roy reveals the darkest secrets of an earlier Calcutta.