Daily Current Affairs 1 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
‘One nation one ration card’ scheme from July 1, 2020
‘One Nation One Ration Card’ scheme will be available across the country from July 1, 2020. The scheme will allow portability of food security benefits according to which the poor migrant workers will be able to buy subsidised rice and wheat from any ration shop in the country as long as their ration cards are linked to Aadhaar.
Telecom Ministry forms committee to spell out revival plans for Telecom sector
Acknowledging that country’s telecom industry was under financial stress, Union Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had constituted a committee chaired by Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan to spell out revival plans for Telecom sector.
Tamil yeoman declared Tamil Nadu’s state butterfly
Tamil yeoman (Cirrochroa thais) butterfly has been declared the state butterfly of Tamil Nadu. These butterflies are also known as Tamil Maravan, which means warrior, are found mainly in the hilly areas.
- Tamil Nadu is only the fifth state in the country to declare its state butterfly.
India-assisted IT-biotech park inaugurated in Cote d’Ivoire
The Mahatma Gandhi IT and Biotechnology Park in Cote d’Ivoire, a dedicated free trade zone built with India’s assistance to build development capacities, has been inaugurated.
- MGIT-BP is a dedicated Free Trade Zone (FTZ) for IT and Biotechnology.
- The MGIT-BP is being built with India’s assistance through EXIM Bank Lines of Credit of USD 20 million.
Abu Dhabi to host first ISA’s joint security exercise ISALEX19
Representatives of 50 law enforcement agencies of the International Security Alliance (ISA) are taking part in the first joint security exercise in Abu Dhabi.
- The participants include representatives from tactical teams, rapid intervention units, communications, civil defence, and explosive ordnance disposal, teams.
- The International Security Alliance, launched in 2017 in Abu Dhabi, is an international working group to confront organised, transnational and extremist crimes.
- The alliance now comprises nine countries, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Morocco, France, Italy, Spain, Senegal, Singapore, and the Slovak Republic.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India signs Rs 200 crore anti-tank missile deal with Russia
Seeking to keep itself battle-ready in situations like the one post-Balakot aerial strikes, India has signed a deal to acquire ‘Strum Ataka’ anti-tank missile from Russia for its fleet of Mi-35 attack choppers.
- The deal for the missiles is worth around Rs 200 crore and would give an added capability to the Mi-35 attack choppers to take out enemy tanks and other armoured elements.
Money parked in Swiss banks: India slips one place to 74th, UK remains on top
India has moved down one place to 74th rank in terms of money parked by its citizens and enterprises with Swiss banks, while the UK has retained its top position, as per data released by the central banking authority of the Alpine nation. India was ranked 73rd last year, after jumping 15 places from its 88th position a year ago.
Max Verstappen wins Austrian Grand Prix
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won the Austrian Grand Prix for the second year in a row while champion Mercedes lost for the first time in this season.
Veer wins U-19 Asian Squash title
India’s Veer Chotrani beat compatriot Yash Fadte to win the U-19 title at the Asian Junior Squash Championship. With the victory, Veer became the third Indian to win the Asian trophy after Ravi Dixit and Vela Senthilkumar.
MTNL chairman Purwar assumes additional charge as BSNL CMD
The government has appointed MTNL Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) P.K. Purwar as the CMD of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) for a period of three months starting July 1, subject to the approval of the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), for ensuring continuity at the struggling PSU.
K. Natarajan has sworn in as the 23rd chief of ICG
K. Natarajan took over as the Director-General of the Indian Coast Guard (ICG). He has become the 23rd chief of India’s coastal security force. He took over from Rajendra Singh.
National Doctors’ Day
India observe 1st July as the National Doctors’ Day. The day is celebrated to recognize the contributions of physicians to individual lives and communities.
- National Doctor’s Day is also celebrated to honour the legendary physician Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy. Dr Roy was honoured with the country’s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna.
- The theme for 2019 National Doctors’ Day is ‘Zero tolerance to violence against doctors and clinical establishment’.