Daily Current Affairs 1 June 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre approves Rs 445 cr for Chhattisgarh under Jal Jeevan Mission
The Union Government has approved Rs 445 crore for the implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in Chhattisgarh during 2020-21.
- The Ministry said Chhattisgarh has planned to have 100 per cent Functional Tap Water Connection (FHTC) by 2023-24.
- Out of 45 lakh households in the state, it has planned to provide tap connections to 20 lakh households.
One Sun One World One Grid’: India initiates talks on West to SE Asia solar grid
India has come up with a ‘One Sun One World One Grid’ (OSOWOG) initiative to set up a framework for facilitating global cooperation in this regard aiming at building a global ecosystem of interconnected renewable energy resources that can be seamlessly shared.
- The Union Ministry of New and Renewable energy (MNRE), through this initiative, plans to build global consensus about sharing solar resources among more than 140 countries of West Asia and South East Asia.
- At a later stage, the project envisages getting this grid interconnected with the African power pools.
PM Modi Launches Video Blogging Contest “My Life, My Yoga”
Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi has launched a video blogging competition titled “My Life, My Yoga” inviting citizens to take part in it to promote the practice of yoga among the masses, reports Times of India.
- The development comes as one of the Government’s activities to observe the sixth International Day of Yoga which is set to be celebrated on 21 June. The contest is a joint effort by the Union Ministry of AYUSH and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
US joins G7 artificial intelligence group to counter China
The US has joined an international panel for setting ethical guidelines for the use of artificial intelligence, a move previously dismissed by the Trump administration.
- The partnership launched after a virtual meeting between national technology ministers. It was nearly two years after the leaders of Canada and France announced they were forming a group to guide the responsible adoption of AI based on shared principles of “human rights, inclusion, diversity, innovation and economic growth.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Singapore top FDI source for India in FY20 with $14.67 bn in investments
Singapore was the top source of foreign direct investment into India for the second consecutive financial year, accounting for about 30 per cent of FDI inflows in 2019-20.
- According to the data of the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), In the last financial year, India attracted $14.67 billion in FDI from Singapore, whereas it was $8.24 billion from Mauritius.
- FDI in India rose by 13 per cent – the sharpest pace in the last four fiscals – to a record $49.97 billion in 2019-20
Mindshare’s Anita Kotwani joins Carat India as CEO
Carat India has announced the appointment of Anita Kotwani as chief executive officer.
- Kotwani moves from Mindshare India where she was senior vice president, new business and client lead, The Walt Disney business.
- She will report to Kartik Iyer, president media brands and Amplifi.
Power Finance Corporation board Appoints RS Dhillon as CMD
State-run Power Finance Corporation (PFC) announced the appointment of Ravinder Singh Dhillon as Chairman and Managing Director from June 1 following superannuation of Rajeev Sharma this month.
- Dhillon would hold the post till the date of his superannuation (May 31, 2023) or until further orders
Virat Kohli Remains Only Cricketer In List Of World’s Highest-Paid Athletes, Roger Federer Top
Roger Federer topped the 2020 Forbes magazine list of highest-paid global athletes announced Friday, leading the lineup for the first time with pre-tax earnings of $106.3 million (95.5 million euros). India captain Virat Kohli remains the only cricketer in the list rising to 66th place from being 100th in 2019.
- Portuguese football star Cristiano Ronaldo was second on the list at $105 million, Argentine football hero Lionel Messi third on $104 million, Brazilian footballer Neymar was fourth overall on $95.5 million, while NBA star LeBron James of the Los Angeles Lakers was fifth on $88.2 million.
- NBA star Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors was sixth on $74.4 million with former teammate Kevin Durant next on $63.9 million.
- Tiger Woods, the reigning Masters champion and a 15-time major winner, was eighth on the list and tops among golfers at $62.3 million.
Former Rajasthan BJP Chief Bhanwar Lal Sharma Passes Away
A veteran politician and former Rajasthan President of the Bharatiya Janata Party, Bhanwar Lal Sharma passed away in Jaipur. He was 95-years-old.
- Bhanwar Lal Sharma became a municipal council chairman in 1961 and an MLA for the first time in1977 from the Hawamahel constituency. In 1978, he became a minister in the state government for the first time and held portfolios such as higher education, housing and sports among others. He also held the post of a minister again in 1990.
- He was an MLA from 1980 to 1990 and became the BJP President for the state of Rajasthan for the first time in 1986. Bhanwar Lal Sharma was re-elected to the post for the second time in 1989 and for the third time in 2000.
Music Composer Wajid Khan of Sajid-Wajid Fame passes away
Musician Wajid Khan, of composer duo Sajid-Wajid, has passed away at the age of 42.
- Starting their career in 1998 with Salman Khan-starrer Pyaar Kiya Toh Darna Kya, Sajid-Wajid scored music for many films of the superstar including Dabangg franchise, Chori Chori, Hello Brother, Wanted and Mujhse Shaadi Karogi. They had recently composed the actor’s single, Bhai Bhai, as well