Daily Current Affairs 1 March 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Airport in Kochi to become power-positive with new solar plant from March 6
The Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL), the world’s first airport fully powered by solar energy, is to become power-positive with the commissioning of its new solar power plant near Payyannur in Kannur district of Kerala.
- The airport became the first in the world in 2015 to be fully powered by solar energy.
MoS for Education Annpurna Devi presents National ICT Awards to 49 teachers
Union Minister of State for Education Annpurna Devi presented National ICT Awards to 49 teachers across the country.
- She said the National Education Policy-2020 emphasizes on the extensive use of technology in teaching and learning processes, removing language barriers, increasing access for DIVYANG students along with educational planning and management.
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurates ‘Arogya Vanam’ at Rashtrapati Bhavan
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated a hub of medicinal herbs and plants ‘Arogya Vanam’ at Rashtrapati Bhavan in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and First Lady Savita Kovind.
- The Arogya Vanam has been developed in a 6.6 acre area and it has 215 types of medicinal plants like Neem, Tulsi, Bel, Arand, Arjun, Ashwagandha and Harsingar. Aroma Garden, Lotus Pond, Water Channels, Yog Manch and a ViewPoint are also part of Arogya Vanam.
Bank of Maharashtra launches “Project Banksakhi” in Odisha
Bank of Maharashtra has tied up with Mahagram to roll out the ‘Bank Sakhi’ project in Odisha. The fintech would provide financial technology and infrastructure support to augment rural financial inclusion.
Google starts ‘Play Pass’ subscription in India
Tech giant Google has made its Google Play Pass, a subscription service which provides access to apps and games without ads, in-app purchases, and upfront payments, available in India.
- It is already operational in 90 countries.
- Play Pass will offer a high-quality and curated collection of more than 1,000 titles across 41 categories from developers across 59 countries including many from India
World’s biggest plane ‘Mriya’ destroyed by Russia near Kyiv
The largest cargo plane in the world — Ukraine’s Antonov-225 or ‘Mriya’ — was destroyed by Russian strikes outside Kyiv on the fourth day of Moscow’s invasion, Ukraine’s state-owned Ukroboronprom group said.
- The aircraft was unique to the world. At 276 feet long, it could transport up to 551,000 pounds of cargo at a speed of up to 528 mph.
- It had been named “Mriya,” which means “dream” in Ukrainian.
Ukrainian President signs formal request to join European Union
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has signed an official request for Ukraine to join the European Union.
- Zelenskiy has asked the European Union to allow Ukraine to gain membership immediately under a special procedure as it defends itself from invasion by Russian forces.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s GDP growth slows to 5.4% in Q3, estimated to rise 8.9% in FY22
India’s economic growth slowed to 5.4 per cent in the third quarter of 2021-22 but higher than China’s GDP expansion of 4 per cent during the same period and the country retained its position as the world’s fastest growing major economy.
- The National Statistical Office (NSO) in its second advance estimates of national accounts released pegged the country’s growth for 2021-22 at 8.9 per cent, a tad lower than 9.2 per cent estimated in its first advance estimates released in January.
- Besides, NSO revised its estimates of GDP contraction for the coronavirus pandemic-hit last financial year (2020-21) to 6.6 per cent.
NSE, BSE to introduce T+1 stock settlement from Feb 25
Indian stock exchanges – the NSE and the BSE – have introduced T+1 settlement for funds and securities investors from February 25. Previously, the Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) had cut short the settlement cycle from T+3 days to T+2 days in 2003.
- The new settlement cycle will be implemented in a phased manner. In the initial phase of the implementation, trading in the bottom 100 stocks in terms of market value can be settled in T+1 days.
Pooja Jatyan wins silver at Para Archery World Championships
Rookie para archer Pooja Jatyan scripted history as she became the first Indian to win a silver in an individual section of the Para Archery World Championships 2022 in Dubai. India has won 2 Silver medals for the first time in the Para Archery World Championship.
- Earlier, The compound mixed pair of Shyam Sundar Swami and Jyoti Baliyan had opened India’s account with a silver medal, the country’s first medal in the World Archery Para Championships.
International Olympic Committee withdraws top Olympic Honour from Vladimir Putin
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has stripped Russian President Vladimir Putin of the Olympic Order award in response to the invasion of Ukraine.
Prof Bhushan Patwardhan named as chairman of NAAC
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has appointed educationist and research scientist Professor Bhushan Patwardhan as chairman, of the executive committee of the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bengaluru.
- The position was vacant after Prof Jagadish Kumar was appointed as chairman of UGC.
Madhabi Puri appointed as new chairperson of SEBI
Madhabi Puri Buch has been appointed as the new chairperson of market regulator SEBI. She is the first woman chairperson of the Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- Buch is the former head of ICICI Securities, also served in SEBI as a Whole Time Member.
- The IIM-Ahmedabad alumna will also be the youngest SEBI chief.
- She will replace Ajay Tyagi as his term ends on 28th Feb 2022.
West Indies spin legend Sonny Ramadhin passes away
Legendary West Indies spinner Sonny Ramadhin, who was a part of the side that won its first away series in England in 1950, has passed away at the age of 92, the country’s cricket board said.
Janaushadhi Diwas week
Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI), under the aegis of Department of Pharmaceuticals is going to celebrate their 4th Jan Aushadhi Diwas by organizing weeklong celebrations from 1st March – 7th March at different locations across the country covering all States/UTs. This will generate awareness about the usages of generic medicines and benefits of Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana.
- Theme of 4th Janaushadhi Diwas: “Jan Aushadhi-Jan Upyogi”.
Zero Discrimination Day
Zero Discrimination Day is an annual day celebrated on 1 March each year by the United Nations and other international organisations. The day aims to promote equality before the law and in practice throughout all of the member countries of the UN.
- The theme of Zero Discrimination Day 2022 is “Remove laws that harm, create laws that empower”.