Daily Current Affairs 1 October 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
India’s unemployment rate drops to 6.43 pc in September: CMIE
India’s unemployment rate has drastically dropped to 6.43 per cent in September due to an increase in labour participation in the rural and urban areas, according to data from the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE).
- During August, India’s unemployment rate surged to a one-year high of 8.3 per cent as employment sequentially fell by 2 million to 394.6 million.
- The unemployment rate in the rural areas fell to 5.84 per cent in September from 7.68 per cent in August, while in the urban areas it dropped to 7.70 per cent against 9.57 per cent in the previous month, according to the data.
- According to the CMIE data, the unemployment rate was the highest in Rajasthan at 23.8 per cent in September, followed by Jammu and Kashmir at 23.2 per cent, Haryana at 22.9 per cent, Tripura at 17 per cent, Jharkhand at 12.2 per cent and Bihar at 11.4 per cent.
- The unemployment was the lowest in Chhattisgarh at 0.1 per cent in September, followed by Assam at 0.4 per cent, Uttrakhand at 0.5 per cent, Madhya Pradesh at 0.9 per cent, Gujarat at 1.6 per cent, Meghalaya at 2.3 per cent and Odisha at 2.9 per cent, the data showed.
ICCR signs MoU with Google to ease search in Sanskrit
ICCR signed an MoU with Google to ease searching the Internet in Sanskrit and provided the search engine giant one lakh commonly used sentences in the language with their English and Hindi translations.
- ICCR and Google are collaborating to improve the Sanskrit translation experience. This will help Google improve artificial intelligence or machine learning technology for translating Sanskrit text to various other languages and vice versa.
Putin declares annexation of four Ukrainian regions in Kremlin ceremony
Russian President Vladimir Putin annexed four territories in Ukraine controlled by his army at a grand ceremony in the Kremlin and urged Kyiv to lay down its arms and negotiate an end to seven months of fighting.
- The lavish ceremony at the Kremlin, a turning point in recent post-Soviet history, came hours after shelling killed 25 people in Ukraine’s southern region of Zaporizhzhia, one of the worst attacks against civilians in months.
BANKING & FINANCE
Active credit cards drop 2.3 million in August over new RBI norms
The outstanding credit card base dropped to 77.99 million in August from over 80 million in July, mainly on account of the new norms of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) that warrant the deactivation of cards that are inactive for a year.
- While there was a 2.8 per cent decline in net card additions on a month-on-month (MoM) basis in August, a first in many months, credit card spends slipped 3 per cent on a high base. Still, spends topped the Rs 1-trillion mark for the sixth consecutive month.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
GST collections up 26% to over ₹1.47 lakh crore in September
GST collections in September rose 26 per cent to over ₹1.47 lakh crore, the finance ministry said.Goods and Services Tax (GST) mop-up has been over ₹1.40 lakh crore for seven months in a row.
- The gross GST revenue collected in the month of September 2022 is ₹1,47,686 crore, of which Central GST is ₹25,271 crore, State GST is ₹31,813 crore, Integrated GST is ₹80,464 crore (including ₹41,215 crore collected on import of goods) and Cess is ₹10,137 crore (including ₹856 crore collected on import of goods), the ministry said in a statement.
Hero MotoCorp appoints Ram Charan as new brand ambassador
Hero MotoCorp has appointed Indian movie star Ram Charan as its new brand ambassador.
- Hero MotoCrop, the country’s largest two-wheeler maker has launched the Hero GIFT Programme. The Hero GIFT stands for the Grand Indian Festival of Trust. This initiative includes exciting model refreshers, retail benefits, several financing schemes, pre-booking offers, and many more.
ASCI appoints N S Rajan as next chairman
N S Rajan, Director of August One Partners LLP was unanimously elected as Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)’s Chairman of the Board of Governors.
- Saugata Gupta, Managing Director & CEO, Marico Limited, was elected Vice-Chairman, while Shashidhar Sinha, Chief Executive Officer at IPG Mediabrands India, was appointed Honorary Treasurer at the board meeting following the 36th Annual General Meeting (AGM) of ASCI.
- The board meeting also saw the induction of Virat Tandon, Group CEO of Lintas India, and Arun Srinivas, Director, GMS India (Meta), onto the board.
Women’s rights activist Srishti Bakshi wins ‘Changemaker’ award at UN SDG Action Awards
A women’s rights activist from India, who traveled 3,800km through the length of the country in less than a year to raise awareness on gender-based violence and inequality, has won a prestigious honour at the UN SDG Action Awards.
- Srishti Bakshi, marketer-turned-women’s-rights-activist, was honoured with the ‘Changemaker’ award at the UN SDG Action Awards for “confronting gender-based violence and advocating for safe access to public spaces.
- The Awards – a flagship of the UN SDG Action Campaign – sought initiatives that ‘Mobilise, Inspire and Connect’ people to drive action towards a more sustainable future on a healthy planet and those that are flipping the script and rethinking “how we live”, the SDG Action Campaign said in a statement.
World’s largest safari park to be developed in Gurugram, Nuh
Haryana is all set to develop one of the largest jungle safari parks in the Aravalli Mountain range of Gurugram and Nuh districts.This project spread on an area of 10,000 acres will be the largest such project in the world.
- At present, the largest curated safari park outside Africa is in Sharjah which was opened in February 2022 on an area of about 2,000 acres.
- The park will also include a large herbarium, an aviary, four zones for big cars, a large area for herbivores, an area for exotic animal/birds, an underwater world, natural trails, visitors, tourism zones, botanical garden, biomes, equatorial, tropical, coastal, desert, etc.
- For the making of the World’s largest jungle safari park an Aravalli Foundation will be set up which will manage the project.