Daily Current Affairs 10 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Every child to get rotavirus vaccine by September: Health Minister Harsh Vardhanf
Every child will be administered rotavirus vaccine by the end of the year as Union Health Ministry is set to expand its vaccination programme across the country.
- Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan said the vaccine is expected to be available in all 37 States and Union Territories by September this year.
- He also said that the centre is committed to ending morbidity and mortality in children due to diarrhea by 2022.
Virasat-e-Khalsa museum in Punjab sets record in footfall
The Virasat-e-Khalsa museum in Punjab’s Anandpur Sahib town is all set to find a place in the Asia Book of Records for becoming the most visited museum in the Indian sub-continent on a single day.
- The Asia Book of Records has confirmed the record of ‘maximum footfall in a museum in a day’ in the name of Virasat-e-Khalsa, which will feature in the next edition of the Asia Book of Records.
- The museum had witnessed a record footfall of 20,569 visitors on a single day on March 20.
Air India launches ‘Discover India’ scheme
Air India has introduced a ‘Discover India’ scheme valid for sale and travel up to March 31, 2020.
- The scheme is rolled out to meet the growing demand of passengers to fly to different places of tourist and religious interest within the country by the Indian diaspora and foreign tourists.
- The scheme has various benefits like re-booking, which is permitted without penalty till 4 hours prior to scheduled departure. The date of the journey can also be changed without any charge.
India to participate with Pakistan, China in SCO exercise
In the backdrop of simmering tensions between the two, India and Pakistan will be participating in a major upcoming exercise under the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation in Russia.
- The exercise called ‘Tsentr (Centre) 2019’ is tentatively scheduled to be held from September 10 to 21 at Orenburg. All the eight Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) member states, including India, Pakistan and China, will be taking part in the exercise.
Papua New Guinea has highest number of living indigenous languages
United Nations report said that the Papua New Guinea has the highest number of living indigenous languages in the world with 840. India stands fourth with 453.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB to provide $200 million for rural road project in Maharashtra
Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 200 million loan for improving road infrastructure in 34 districts of Maharashtra.
- The aim of the project is to connect rural areas with markets and services. Roads in rural areas would be upgraded to all weather standards which will boost links between local residents and economic centres across the state.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Indian Bank signs up Corporate Agency with Chola MS
Indian Bank, a premier Public Sector bank has entered into a corporate agency agreement with Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Ltd (Chola MS) for distribution of the latter’s insurance products to Indian Bank customers.
Indian Bank, Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance ink pact
Public sector Indian Bank has inked a pact with private sector insurer Aditya Birla Sun Life to offer life insurance products to the bank’s customers.
- The partnership would see around 2,900 branches of the bank offering diverse range of life insurance policies to its customers.
India bags 8 medals in Asian schoolboy Boxing Championships
Indian junior boxers bagged eight medals including two gold medals in the Asian schoolboy Boxing Championships held in Kuwait, finishing as the second-best team in the tournament.
- Yashwardhan Singh (58 kg) and Bharat Joon (70 kg) won the gold medal as they overpowered Uzbekistan’s Aburakhimanov Abdulaziz and Kyrgyzstan’s Asanbekov Atai respectively.
Surya Shekhar Ganguly wins Belt and Road China Hunan International tournament
GM Surya Sekhar Ganguly has won the 2019 Belt and Road Hunan International with a score of 7.0/9. His stupendous victory earned him USD 50,000 (Rs.35 lakh!).
Steve Smith overtakes Virat Kohli to become second fastest to score 25 Test centuries
Steve Smith has smashed his second ton of the match and has now overthrown Indian skipper Virat Kohli to become the second-fastest batsman to score 25 Test centuries. The former Australia captain achieved the feat on Day 4 of the 1st Test against England in Birmingham.
Sudha Rani Relangi appointed Director of Prosecution in CBI
Sudha Rani Relangi has been appointed the Director of Prosecution in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for a period of two years.
SBI extends tenure of MD Dinesh Kumar Khara by two years
State Bank of India, the country’s largest state-run bank, said that the term of office of its Managing Director Dinesh Kumar Khara has been extended for further period of two years.
Melbourne’s University honours Shahrukh Khan with a doctorate degree
The Badshah of Bollywood, Shah Rukh Khan, has been conferred with an honorary doctorate by the La Trobe University in Melbourne for his work supporting women’s empowerment and his achievement in the Indian entertainment industry.
- Named after his mother, Khan’s Meer Foundation is best known for its work helping acid attack survivors who are victims of usually jealous or scorned men.
‘King of the Ring’ Harley Race Passes away
Harley Race, American professional wrestler passed away. Race overcame serious injuries from a car accident to become a mainstay of the wrestling circuit, winning numerous individual and tag-team titles in the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s.
Former Governor of Reserve Bank of India, Bimal Jalan’s new Book ‘Resurgent India’ launched
Former Governor of Reserve Bank of India, Bimal Jalan’s new Book ‘Resurgent India’ has been launched. The book talks about key priorities that can be implemented by the new government in national interest, irrespective of the political agenda of the party that come to power. The book has been published by Harper Collins.
Book ‘Oru Manidhan Oru Iyakkam Kalaignar Mu. Karunanidhi’ released
The book titled ‘Oru Manidhan Oru Iyakkam Kalaignar Mu. Karunanidhi’ in Tamil language which depicts the life and work of Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (Dravidian Progressive Conference) (DMK) leader Late M Karunanidhi , the former Tamil Nadu chief minister, was launched by K Veeramani, president of Dravidar Kazhagam in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
International Day of the World’s Indigenous People
The International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples (World Adivasi Day) is observed on 9 August each year to frontup and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population. This event also recognizes the achievements and contributions that indigenous people make to improve world issues such as environmental protection.
- The 2019 Theme for International Day of the World’s Indigenous People is “Indigenous Languages”.