Daily Current Affairs 10 December 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt disbursed Rs 36,000 crore to farmers under PM-Kisan Samman Nidhi
Around 36 thousand crore rupees have been disbursed under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi as on 30th of November, 2019.
- Around seven crores 60 lakh farmers have been benefited under the scheme.The government is striving to double the farmer’s income by 2022.
Over Rs 10 lakh cr loans sanctioned under MUDRA Yojana
The government informed that more than Rs 10 lakh crore have been disbursed under the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana till November 1, 2019. The PMMY is a scheme launched by the prime minister on April 8, 2015, for providing loans up to Rs 10 lakh to non-corporate, non-farm small/micro enterprises.
J&K LG inaugurates Project Sampark bridge
Jammu and Kashmir Lt Governor Shri Girish Chandra Murmu dedicated the 72-metre-long Multi Cell Box Type Load Class 70 bridge to the Nation in Rajouri. The bridge spans over Draj nallah and connected Draj Area to Tehsil Kotranka area under District Rajouri.This bridge will facilitate all weather and speedy movement of Army troops as well as locals.
India ranks 129 in UN’s human development index
According to a report titled ‘2019 Human Development Index (HDI)’ released by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), India climbed one spot to 129 among 189 countries in the 2019 human development index.
- Norway tops list of 189 countries,followed by Switzerland, Ireland, Germany and Hong Kong.
- As per report, more Indian men and women were showing biases in gender social norms, indicating a backlash to women’s empowerment.
India among top 10 countries with higher climate performance: Report
India, for the first time, ranks among the top 10 in this year’s Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) released at the COP25 climate summit in Spanish capital Madrid.
- The current levels of per capita emissions and energy use in India ranked 9th in the high category showing that emissions are still comparatively low.
- The authors of the report noted that while the country receives an overall medium rating in the renewable energy category, India’s 2030 renewable energy target is rated very high for its well-below 2 degrees Celsius compatibility.
Worldwide arms sales rise by nearly 5% in 2018
According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)’s report, Worldwide arms sales rose by nearly 5% in 2018. The market is dominated by the United States.
- Russia was second in the rankings for arms production, with 8.6 per cent of the market, just ahead of the United Kingdom on 8.4 per cent and France on 5.5 per cent.
ADB meets commitment to double annual climate financing to $6 billion
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) announced that it has achieved a key commitment to double its annual climate investments from three billion dollars in 2014, hitting a record high of more than six billion dollars in climate-related financing during 2019.
- ADB has now reached its target commitment one year ahead of time.ADB’s USD 6 billion climate financing milestone coincides with the 25th Conference of the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP25) in Madrid
UAE, US joint military exercise ‘Iron Union 12’commences
‘Iron Union 12’, a joint military exercise between the ground forces of the UAE and the United States, commenced. ‘Iron Union 12′ will see the two sides take part in joint military cooperation to enhance combat and tactical capabilities.
- The joint military exercises of the UAE Armed Forces with fraternal and friendly countries takes place in a manner consistent with latest developments and reflects the UAE Armed Forces’ determination to stand firmly against all threats and challenges facing the region.
Abu Dhabi selected as world’s leading sports tourism destination
Abu Dhabi has been selected as the world’s leading Sports tourism Destination at the 26th edition of the World Travel Awards (WTA) being held in Muscat. This is the seventh time in a row that Abu Dhabi has been selected for this coveted award.
- The award is the latest in several prestigious accolades gained by Abu Dhabi this year, including being selected as the West Asia’s Leading Business Tourism Destination at the West Asia edition of WTA and Best City Break at the UK’s Selling Travel Agents’ Choice Awards.
BANKING & FINANCE
Exim Bank provides USD 500 mn credit to Bangladesh for defence procurement
India has provided USD 500 million (Rs 3,561 crore) line of credit to Bangladesh for defence-related procurement in the neighbouring country.
- Export Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) entered into an agreement with Bangladesh’s Armed Forces Division for making available to the latter a Government of India-supported line of credit (LoC) of USD 500 million.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Vakrangee partners with Union Bank of India for 20,000 banking BC points for Pan India Nextgen Vakrangee Kendras
Vakrangee Finserve Limited, a 100% subsidiary company of Vakrangee Limited (VL) received approval from Union Bank of India for 20,000 Banking Business Correspondent (BC) point for Nextgen Vakrangee Kendra.
- The Bank shall allot in a batch of 2,500 BC points whereby 70-80% of BC points would be in Tier 5 and 6 locations and which would include 5% of the outlets to be opened in aspirational districts and LWE (Left-wing extremism) areas.
WADA hands four-year-ban to Russia over doping scandal
World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) handed a 4-year ban to Russia from participating and hosting major sporting events over its involvement in a doping scandal.This means that Russia will not take part in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, 2022 Winter Olympics, and the FIFA World Cup 2022.
Saurabh, Elavenil and Divyansh receive Golden Target award from ISSF
Elavenil Valarivan, Saurabh Chaudhary and Divyansh Singh Panwar, who finished the season as No.1 in their respective events in rifle and pistol, were presented the Golden Target award by the ISSF at its headquarters in Munich, Germany.
While Saurabh (air pistol) and Divyansh (air rifle) had also secured the Olympic quota this season
Manav Thakkar wins U-21 ITTF Challenge Series title
Indian paddler Manav Thakkar has become the first Indian since 2017 to win an U-21 men’s singles title when he lifted the crown at the ITTF Challenge Plus Benemax-Virgo North American Open in Markham, Canada.
- Manav cruised to a comfortable 11-3, 11-5, 11-6 win over Argentina’s Martin Bentancor in the final.
Praggnanandhaa wins the London Chess Classic FIDE Open 2019
Adding another feather to his cap, India’s R. Praggnanandhaa won the London Chess Classic FIDE Open 2019 with a score of 7.5/9 and a rating performance of 2699.
Arnab Goswami elected president of News Broadcasters Federation’s governing board
The News Broadcasters Federation has elected Managing Director and Editor in Chief of Republic TV, Arnab Goswami as the president of its governing board. The broadcaster’s body comprises of 78 news channels in 14 languages from 25 states.
Poet Viswanath Prasad Tiwari to get Gangadhar National Award
Eminent Hindi poet Viswanath Prasad Tiwari would be honoured with the prestigious ‘Gangadhar National Award’ during the 53rd Foundation Day celebrations of the Sambalpur University.The award, carrying a cash prize of Rs 50,000, a shawl and citation
- Tiwari, a former president of Sahitya Academy, has authored several anthologies. Notable among his creations are ‘Rachana ki sarokar’, ‘Kavita kya hai’, ‘Saath chalte hue’ and Bistar duniya le liye’.
Priyanka Chopra honoured at Marrakech Film Festival for 20 years in cinema
A day after receiving the Danny Kaye Humanitarian Award at the UNICEF Snowflake Ball, Priyanka Chopra Jonas was honoured for her contribution to cinema at Festival International Du Film De Marrakech in Morocco.
- Hollywood actor Robert Redford was also honoured at the event. Moroccan actress Mouna Fettou and Let Joy Reign Supreme’s filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier were among other people who were honoured at the festival.
Sesame Street Puppeteer Caroll Spinney passes away
Caroll Spinney, puppeteer behind Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, has died. He was 85. Spinney voiced and operated the two major Muppets from their inception in 1969 when he was 36, and performed them almost exclusively into his 80s on the PBS kids’ television show that later moved to HBO.
Former Odisha minister Bhagabat Mohanty passes away
Former Odisha Minister Bhagabat Prasad Mohanty has passed away. He was 93. Mohanty represented Kendrapda thrice in the state Assembly.
Mohanty authored several books including ‘Ardha Satabdi Ra Odisha Congress Ra Itihas’. He also wrote his autobiography ‘Sangramara Swaralipi’.
ICSSR chairman B B Kumar passes away
Chairman of the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), BB Kumar, passed away. He had not been keeping well for some time. Kumar was appointed as the chairman of the ICSSR in May 2017.
Human Rights Day
Human Rights Day is celebrated annually across the world on 10 December every year. It is a United Nations (UN) campaign that calls for people to know and push for their rights no matter where they are in the world.
- The theme for this year is “Youth Standing Up for Human Rights”.