Daily Current Affairs 10 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s first elephant rehabilitation centre in the works at Kerala’s Kottoor
The Kerala government is working to set up the country’s first elephant rehabilitation centre in Kottoor, an ecotourism village near the state capital Thiruvananthapuram. The first phase of the Rs 105 crore-project has already been launched by chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- The centre, expected to have an elephant museum, mahout training centre, super-specialty hospital, a retirement home and crematorium for the animals, will house orphaned, injured and older elephants. It is being planned on the lines of the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage in Sri Lanka.
India’s first cow sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh to be privatised
India’s first cow sanctuary, set up by the previous BJP-led Madhya Pradesh government in September 2017, will be privatised by the Congress-led government.
- Kamdhenu Gau Abhyaranya in Agar Malwa, 190 km north west of Bhopal, was developed by the MP Gau Samvardhan Board by spending about Rs 32 crore. The decision of privatisation is being taken due to financial crises.
National Museum of Indian Cinema’s news bulletin launched
A fortnightly bulletin of the National Museum of Indian Cinema, brought out by the Films Division, was launched here Tuesday, with veteran film maker Jahnu Barua hoping that it will become a platform for movie buffs and other stakeholders.
- Barua described the newsletter “NMIC Bulletin” as a fantastic initiative by the Films Division. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had in January inaugurated the museum, whose portions occupy a 19th century heritage bungalow and a modern building in south Mumbai.
Connaught Place ninth most expensive office location in the world: CBRE
New Delhi’s Connaught Place—commercial business district (CBD)– is among the top 10 most expensive office markets around the globe. Retaining its place as last year, it has has been ranked at 9th position in the list, according to a report by CBRE, a real estate consulting firm.
- The report titled, “Global Prime Office Occupancy Costs survey” mentioned that the office occupancy cost is valued at $ 143.97 per sq. ft per annum at Connaught Place – CBD.
- For the second year, Hong Kong’s Central district retained the top spot as the world’s most expensive market for prime office rents. The second position was taken by West End in London.
BANKING & FINANCE
Deposits in Jan Dhan accounts cross Rs 1 lakh crore
Deposits in bank accounts opened under Jan Dhan scheme, launched about five years ago by the Modi-government, have crossed the Rs 1 lakh crore mark. As per the latest finance ministry data, the total balance in over 36.06 crore Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) accounts was at Rs 1,00,495.94 crore as on July 3.
- The deposits in the account of the beneficiaries, which has been steadily rising, was Rs 99,649.84 crore on June 6
- The PMJDY was launched on August 28, 2014, with an aim to provide universal access to banking facilities to the people in the country.
Govt infused over Rs 3.15 lakh crore into PSBs between FY09 and FY19
The government has infused over Rs 3.15 lakh crore into public sector banks (PSBs) in the 11 years through 2018-19.
- During the period from the FY09 to FY19, PSBs have mobilised Rs 2,81,616 crore of capital through sources other than government, and have posted a net profit of Rs 98,373 crore.
Wilful defaults in India cross $21 billion in 2018-19
India’s state-owned banks had classified 1.50 trillion rupees ($21.76 billion) worth of loans as “wilful defaults” in 2018-19, with the biggest lender State Bank of India accounting for nearly a third.
- Under Indian law, wilful defaulters are classified as firms or individuals who own large businesses & deliberately avoid repayments.
Dutee Chand wins gold in World University Games
Sprinter Dutee Chand won the 100m gold medal in the ongoing World University Games in Napoli, Italy.
- Chand won the gold medal in just 11.32 seconds. She also holds the 100m national record with 11.24 seconds.
Emmy winning actor Rip Torn passes away at 88
Emmy winner actor Rip Torn (American), who is known for his acting and comedy passed away at the age of 88.