Daily Current Affairs 10 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt proposes to create 75 lakh Self Help Groups in two years to support women to earn livelihood
Government is planning to create a total of 75 lakh Self Help Groups by 2022 to enable more women to get livelihood informed by Rural Development Minister Narendra Singh Tomar
- Women’s Self Help Groups are the backbone of poverty alleviation programmes and the entire focus of the Ministry is oriented towards women’s emancipation.
Odisha becomes the 1st state to introduce department for SHGs: “Mission Shakti”
Odisha will be the first State to have an exclusive department for Self-Help Groups (SHGs). This will be called ‘Department of Mission Shakti. This was announced by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik at a function held here to mark the International Women’s Day.
- The Mission Shakti and the Mamata scheme and the initiative of 50-per cent reservation in the Panchayats and Urban Local Bodies have empowered a massive number of 70 lakh women socioeconomically.
National Conference on Women in Police and CAPFs held in New Delhi
Mrs Smriti Zubin Irani inaugurates a National Conference on Women in Police and CAPFs in New Delhi. The conference was organized by the Bureau of Police Research and Development, the BPR&D.
- The main objective of the National Conference was to discuss and deliberate on the following 2 (two) themes:
1.Cyber Stalking and Bullying of Women : Steps for Protection
2.Challenges faced by CAPF Women in Operational Areas
UNGCNI organizes 3rd Gender equality summit 2020 in New Delhi
Global Compact Network India (GCNI) – A local arm of United Nations Global Compact, New York today conducted the third edition of its Gender Equality Summit, 2020 “India Inc. For Generation Equality: Decade of Action at The Park, New Delhi.
- This summit aimed towards building a concrete roadmap towards gender equality at workplaces in India
- Theme paper on ‘Rethinking Gender Representation across Value Chains’ unveiled in association with Grant Thornton India.
Tripura CM launches drive to build 127 km village roads in 72 hours
Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb launched a drive for construction of 127 km brick soling village roads in just 72 hours in a single district of the state.
- Under this mission mode project, a total of 440 brick soling roads mainly in remote areas would be constructed in the West Tripura district.
‘COVA Punjab’ mobile app launched to sensitise people about precautions
In a bid to sensitise people how to deal with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Punjab Chief Secretary Karan Avtar Singh launched ‘COVA Punjab” mobile application.
- COVA stands for Corona Virus Alert and has been developed by the Department of Government Reforms and Public Grievances in consultation with the Health and Family Welfare Department to spread awareness by sharing various traveling and preventive care advisories
Kerala to launch digital literacy drive named “I am also digital” in the Thiruvananthapuram Corporation
Creating a model for the entire country, Kerala is all set to launch a massive total digital literacy campaign ‘I am also digital’, powered by the Kerala State IT Mission under the Department of Information Technology and Kerala Literacy Mission, the campaign.
- The programme aims at building capacity of the whole society to enjoy benefits of digital technology including a spectrum of online services and educate people about the cyber security issues in the context of the spurt in cybercrimes.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Moody’s again slashes India’s growth projection for 2020 to 5.3%
In less than a month, ratings agency Moody’s Investors Service revised its baseline growth projections for India from 5.4% to 5.3% in 2020, saying an extensive and prolonged slump as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak will reduce growth in Asia’s third-largest economy to 5% during the calendar year.
- The latest revision, which is part of its Global Macro Outlook, said the global spread of the virus is resulting in simultaneous supply and demand shocks
Lt Gen Dhillon appointed Defence Intel Agency chief
Former 15 Corps Commander, Lt Gen KJS Dhillon, has been appointed as the Director-General, Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) and Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Intelligence) under the Chief of Defence Staff.
- He will replace Lt Gen AS Bedi who assumed the appointment in February 2018.
Ashraf Ghani sworn in as Afghan President for second term, rival Abdullah holds parallel inauguration
Ashraf Ghani was sworn in as the President of Afghanistan for the second term at a ceremony held at the Presidential Palace in Kabul.
- Meanwhile, the Chief Executive of Afghanistan Abdullah Abdullah, who too claims to have won the Presidential election, also held a swearing-ceremony for himself.
- Ghani was declared to have won a second term in February, nearly five months after the polls were held in September amid a record number of Taliban attacks intended to destabalise the election.
SBI’s C V Nageswar given additional charge of Deputy MD and CFO
State Bank of India (SBI) said that Chalasani Venkat Nageswar, Deputy Managing Director of its international banking group, has been given additional charge of Deputy Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer with immediate effect.
- He fills the gap after his predecessor Prashant Kumar was appointed as Administrator of Yes Bank on March 5.
Manpreet, Rani bag Player of Year awards at Hockey India Annual Awards
National team captains Manpreet Singh and Rani Rampal won the Dhruv Batra Player of the Year Award 2019 in the men’s and women’s categories respectively at the third Hockey India Annual Awards.
- Manpreet and Rani received a cash award of Rs 25 lakh each, besides trophies.
- Other medallist Harbinder Singh won the prestigious Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award 2019 for his outstanding contribution to the sport.
- The Milestone Awards were presented to Deep Grace Ekka, Kothajit Singh and Savita for playing 200 international matches. They received a cheque of Rs 1 lakh each, plus a trophy.
- Harmanpreet Singh, Lalit Kumar Upadhyay and Nikki Pradhan were also recognised for playing 100 matches for India. They were presented with a cheque of Rs 50,000 each and a trophy.
CPI(M) MLA Vijayan Pillai of Kerala passed away
Vijayan Pillai, CPI(M) MLA representing Chavara constituency, passed away early at a private hospital in Kochi. He was 65
- Mr. Pillai started his political career in 1979, representing the local body for over 20 years as a leader of the Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP). He left the RSP and joined the Congress in 2000 and was a member of Kollam District Panchayat from 2000 to 2005.
- He joined the Communist Marxist Party (Aravindakshan). The party was later merged with CPI(M) in 2016 and fielded Vijayan as the assembly candidate from Chavara.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Odisha CM released book titled “ The Adventures of the Daredevil Democrat”
Chief minister Naveen Patnaik released “The Adventures of the Daredevil Democrat’ – a comic book on adventure and works of legendary leader and his father Biju Patnaik.
- The comic book, prepared by Kalinga Foundation Trust and published by New Delhi-based the Creative Workshop, chronicles Biju’s childhood, his bicycle journey from Cuttack to Peshawar (now in Pakistan), his daredevilry as a pilot, his role in Kashmir mission, his contribution for development of modern Odisha and his journey in Indian politics with pictures and anecdotes.