Daily Current Affairs May 10 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PMJJBY, PMSBY and APY complete 7 years of providing social security net
Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMSBY), and Atal Pension Yojana (APY) have completed seven years of providing social security net. The schemes were launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 9th May 2015 in Kolkata, West Bengal. These schemes have been successful in providing affordable insurance and security to people.
- These three social security schemes are dedicated to the welfare of the citizens, recognizing the need for securing human life from unforeseen risks or losses and financial uncertainties. In order to ensure that the people from the unorganized section of the country are financially secure, the Government launched two insurance schemes – Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana and introduced Atal Pension Yojana to cover the exigencies in the old age.
Arvind Kejriwal govt unveils free sewer connection scheme in Delhi
A total of 25,000 households in East Delhi will be provided free sewer connections under the ‘Mukhyamantri Muft Sewer Connection Yojana’, according to a communication from the Delhi Jal Board (DJB).
- These free connections will be provided in 12 colonies in Karawal Nagar and Mustafabad, for which an amount of Rs 19 crore has been allocated.
- The aim is to prevent sewage from landing in the Yamuna river.
Tamil Nadu govt announces breakfast scheme for primary school students
On the occasion of the DMK government of Chief Minister M. K. Stalin stepping into its second year, TN CM Stalin made some announcements in the Assembly to provide some schemes.
- The schemes are a free morning breakfast scheme for government school students, a scheme to eradicate nutrition deficiency, establishment of schools of excellence and primary health centres in urban areas and the expansion of ‘CM in Your Constituency’, a public grievances redress system, to all 234 constituencies.
- Speaking under Rule 110, he said the free breakfast scheme was launched based on the available information that the government school children skip breakfast while going to school because of the distance and family situation. He said free breakfast would be provided to students of Classes 1-5 on all working days.
Mascot, logo, jersey, launched for Khelo India Youth Games
Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur launched the mascot ‘Dhakad’ along with official logo and official jersey of the Fourth Khelo India Youth Games at Panchkula and lauded the effort of Haryana to host the games.
- 5 traditional games Gatka, Thang-ta, Yogasana, Kalaripayattu, and Mallakhamb will be included in the games,
- The games were earlier scheduled to happen in October-November last year before they were postponed to February this year owing to the Covid-19 pandemic. The games, which are to be held in 25 sports disciplines including five indigenous disciplines, will be held in Shahbad, Ambala, Chandigarh, Panchkula and Delhi.
Carlos Alcaraz won men’s singles title at Madrid Open title 2022
Carlos Alcaraz (Spain) has clinched the men’s singles Madrid Open title 2022 after beating the defending champion Alexander Zverev (Germany). Alcaraz has also defeated Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic (world No. 1) to reach the final. It is his second Masters 1000 crown after Miami 2022 and his fourth title of the year.
Abhinav Deshwal won gold medal in men’s 10m air pistol
Abhinav Deshwal has won the second gold medal for India in shooting at the 24th Deaflympics in Caxias do Sul, Brazil. He was tied with silver winning Ukrainian Oleksii Lazebnyk before winning gold in a shoot-off.
India’s Avinash Sable breaks 30-year-old 5000 metre record
Armyman Avinash Sable had broken Prasad’s 5,000 metres national record, clocking 13 minutes and 25.65 seconds in San Juan Capistrano, USA, finishing 12th in a high-quality field which included two Olympic medallists. For the former Asian Athletics Championship silver medallist, the race was all about the clock rather than a podium finish.
Alkesh Kumar Sharma appointed as new MeitY secretary
Senior IAS officer Alkesh Kumar Sharma, has taken over the role of secretary, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). Sharma was earlier secretary (Coordination), Cabinet Secretariat.
Bengali translation of French novel ‘Meursault, contre-enquête’ wins Romain Rolland Book Prize 2022
The Bengali translation of French novel “Meursault, contre-enquête” (The Meursault Investigation) has won the fifth Romain Rolland Book Prize.
- The award, announced during the French LitFest 2022, was given to translator Trinanjan Chakraborty and publisher Patra Bharati.
Guruswamy Krishnamoorthy receives British Honour ‘MBE’ For His Service During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Guruswamy Krishnamoorthy, CEO of Penlon, a world-class British medical technology firm, is likely to receive The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (Civil Division) Award 2022 – Honorary Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) recognition from the Queen at Buckingham Palace, London, UK. Guruswamy Krishnamoorthy hails from Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- The British Honorary Awards are awarded twice a year, first during the new year and again in June, on the date of the Queen’s official birthday.