Daily Current Affairs 10 October 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Goa becomes first Har Ghar Jal State in country by providing tap water connection to every rural household
Goa has become the first Har Ghar Jal State in the country by providing tap water connection to every rural household.
- The state has provided tap water connection to two lakh 30 thousand rural households.
- North Goa with one lakh 65 thousand rural households and South Goa with 98 thousand rural households in 191 Gram Panchayats are fully saturated with assured piped water supply through tap connections.
Assam CM launches “Swa-nirbhar Naari: Atmanirbhar Asom”
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched “Swa-nirbhar Naari:Atmanirbhar Asom” scheme in a bid to empower the economically disadvantaged women of the State in a programme organized by Panchayat & Rural Development Department at Chandrapur in Kamrup (Metro) district.
- The new scheme aims to create more than 3.72 lakh sustainable individual and 822 community assets benefitting around four lakh families in first phase under MGNREGA with convergence of schemes of various State government departments and missions including Assam State Rural Livelihood Mission, Agriculture & Horticulture, Fishery,Environment & Forest, Handloom & Textiles, Sericulture, Veterinary & Animal Husbandry etc.
Uttarakhand CM launches ‘Mukhya Mantri Saur Swarojgar Yojana’
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched the Mukhya Mantri Saur Swarojgar Yojana for self-employment by solar energy farming at the Veer Chandra Singh Garhwali auditorium in Dehradun.
- The aim of the scheme is to promote the production of green energy and to provide self-employment opportunities to the youth of the State and returning migrants.
- Each beneficiary of this scheme will be allocated solar plants of 25 kilowatts and 10,000 people will get self-employment under this scheme.
AP govt launches ₹650 crore scheme to distribute kits to school students
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has launched a new scheme, Jagananna Vidya Kanuka, providing free kits to students studying in government schools from Class 1 to 10 ahead of the academic which is scheduled to begin from November 2.
- The Vidya Kaunaka kits comprise three pairs of uniform cloth, one pair of shoes, two pairs of socks, a belt, textbooks and notebooks and a school bag.
- The kits will be given to about 42.32 lakh students studying in government schools and the stitching charges for uniforms would be credited to mothers’ account directly so that the children will be ready for November 2 reopening of schools. The total cost of the scheme is ₹650 crore.
Two-day coastal security exercise Sagar Kavach concludes
The two-day half-yearly coastal security exercise, Sagar Kavach, along the Kerala and Karnataka coasts ended recently .
- Conducted by the Navy and the Coast Guard, the exercise had participation by all coastal security stakeholders and assets ranging from patrol vessels and boats to fishing craft, fixed-wing aircraft, helicopters and remotely-piloted aircraft.
- The coastal security exercise was closely monitored from Joint Operations Centre in Kochi.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
WTO revises up forecast for goods trade to 9.2% decline in 2020
The World Trade Organization upgraded its forecast for trade in goods this year to a level still comparable to the decline during the global financial crisis, but better than initially predicted due to a rebound in June and July.
- The WTO said that global merchandise trade would fall by 9.2% this year and then increase by 7.2% in 2021.
- The WTO forecast in April that merchandise trade would decline by between 13 and 32% this year, figures described by the WTO chief as “ugly”, before rebounding by between 21 and 24% in 2021 if countries worked together.
Tamil Nadu to set up advanced manufacturing hub in partnership with WEF
Guidance, nodal investment promotion and facilitation agency of the state of Tamil Nadu has partnered with the World Economic Forum (WEF) to establish India’s first advanced manufacturing hub (AMHUB) in Tamil Nadu.
- The Advanced Manufacturing HUB or AMHUB is one of the 19 platforms designed by the WEF.
- This platform focuses on engaging entire regional production ecosystems to identify and address regional opportunities and challenges brought by the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) by amplifying regional success stories, sharing best practices & incubating new partnerships.
India’s first-ever badminton brand Transform launched; CWG medallist Chetan Anand to promote the brand
At the time when country is encouraged to be aatmanirbhar, the Commonwealth Games medallist shuttler Chetan Anand will be sporting India’s first-ever homegrown professional badminton brand “Transform” that was launched recently.
- Anand, a former world no.10 and the men’s singles bronze medal winner at the 2006 Melbourne CWG, was roped in as the face of the homegrown equipment brand along with his academy in Hyderabad.
- The initiative is promoted by VICKY Sports, one of India’s top three sports brands, which specializes in sports good manufacturing since 1978.
Myntra signs Bhuvan Bam as first digital brand ambassador
Fashion e-commerce platform Myntra has named digital influencer Bhuvan Bam as its first digital brand ambassador, to strengthen its digital presence and engage with tech-savvy customers ahead of the festive season.
- Both Myntra and Bhuvan will make content that will give the brand more acknowledgment in their effectively youthful market.
- The incorporation of topics like fashion and lifestyle in his creative and relatable content will facilitate Myntra’s endeavors of taking advantage of the fashion-centric crowds
Finnish Prime Minister gives country’s top job to a 16-year-old for a day
In a truly remarkable development, a 16-year-old Finnish girl was made the country’s Prime Minister.Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin handed her power to a 16-year-old girl as apart of a campaign to promote girls’ rights in the country.
- Aava Murto of Vaasky in southern Finland turned incredibly lucky for a day. Aava, who is an active campaigner on issues relating to climate changes and human rights.
- The ‘PM for a day’ is part of a global ‘Girls Takeover’ campaign by children’s rights charity Plan International, which aims to raise awareness of girls’ digital skills in technological industries and highlight the problem of online harassment of women
Union Minister Goyal gets additional charge of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
Union Minister Piyush Goyal will take over charge of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, in addition to his existing portfolios as Minister of Railways and Minister of Commerce and Industry.
- The government announced the appointment following the demise of Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan in Delhi.
Bishr al-Khasawneh appointed as PM of Jordan
King of Jordan, Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein has appointed Bishr al-Khasawneh, policy advisor to the king, as new Prime Minister of the country.
- His appointment comes after King Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Omar al Razzaz.
- Bishr al-Khasawneh,served as the advisor to the king for Communication and Coordination at The Royal Hashemite Court (April 2019- August 2020).He also served as the Minister for Legal Affairs.
Forbes India rich list 2020: Mukesh Ambani tops for 13th consecutive time
Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries Limited, remains the wealthiest Indian for the 13th consecutive year on Forbes India list, which has recently been released.
- In a tumultuous year for the global economy, India’s richest preserved their wealth. Mukesh Ambani remains the wealthiest Indian for the 13th year in a row, adding $37.3 billion to his net worth. At number one for the thirteenth consecutive year, his net wealth stands at $88.7 billion.
- It has also noted the entry of Pune-based Serum Institute of India, which is the world’s largest vaccine producer by the number of doses produced, in top 10.
List of India’s top 5 richest persons
- Mukesh Ambani (88.7 billion dollar)
- Gautam Adani (25.2 billion dollar)
- Shiv Nadar (20.4 billion dollar)
- Radhakishan Damani (15.4 billion dollar)
- Hinduja brothers (12.8 billion dollar)
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
India test-fires Rudram 1, its first anti-radiation missile to kill enemy radars
India successfully test-fired Rudram 1, the tactical anti-radiation missile that the Indian Air Force can launch from its Sukhoi-30MKI fighter jets to take down enemy radars and surveillance systems.
- The missile, Rudram-1, is India’s first indigenously developed anti-radiation weapon system and it was test-fired by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), at an integrated test range in Balasore in Odisha.
- The missile has a launch speech of up to 2 Mach, twice the speed of sound, is capable of bringing down a wide-range of enemy radar systems, communication networks and air defence systems within a range of up to 250 kilometers.
Veteran Marathi actor Avinash Kharshikar passes away
Veteran Marathi actor Avinash Kharshikar died due to a heart attack in Bethany Hospital, Thane.
- Kharshikar started his career in the Marathi industry in 1978 with a role in a movie Bandiwan Me Ya Sansari.
- He was a well-known for his comic acting in the Marathi industry and he worked with other well-known names in the Marathi industry like Ashok Saraf and the late Laxmikanth Berde.
Justice KK Usha, first woman chief justice of Kerala HC from the bar, passes away
Justice KK Usha, the former Chief Justice of Kerala High Court died at the age of 81 in Kochi.
- KK Usha was the first woman to be directly elevated to the HC bench from the bar.
- She served as the high court chief Justice from 2000-2001.After retirement, she headed the Customs, Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal in Delhi from 2001 to 2004.
National Postal Week
National Postal Week is being celebrated in the country from 9 October to 15 October every year to create awareness about the role and contributions of postal sector in social and economic development as well as in lives of people and business.
- The National Postal Week involves various programmes which started with celebration of the World Post Day on October 9.
- The week is celebrated to commemorate the establishment of Universal Postal Union (UPU) in 1874 in Swiss capital Berne.
World Mental Health Day
The World Health Organisation recognises World Mental Health Day on 10 October every year for global mental heatlh education, awareness, advocacy against the social stigma that is often attached to it.
- This year’s theme set by the World Federation for Mental Health is ‘mental health for all’.
World Egg Day
World Egg Day will be celebrated on second Friday in October every year.
- World Egg Day 2020 is celebrated on October 9.
- The day is celebrated in order to raise awareness about the benefits of eggs and their importance in human nutrition.