Daily Current Affairs 10 January 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cherry Blossom Mao Festival held in Manipur
In Manipur, the Cherry Blossom Mao Festival was held at Senapati district marking the beginning of pink season in the district.
- The Mao area of Senapati district in Manipur is known for Cherry Blossom, a plant which is popularly known as Sakura in Japan.
- The festival which featured the picturesque landscape of Mao town adorned with beautiful Cherry Blossom flowers was streamed live from 2 pm on various social media platforms and the programs consisted of traditional dances and special ballet.
IAF signs MoU with IDSR for officers to undertake doctoral research
Indian Air Force and Institute of Defence Studies and Research – IDSR- an autonomous Institution of Gujarat University have signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) .
- This will enable the Officers of IAF to undertake Doctoral Research, Post-Graduate Programme and Post Graduate Diploma.
- These courses will cover various areas of interest that include Defence studies, Defence Management, National Security, Aerospace & Aviation Science and other areas of Defence Technology.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Centre merges J&K cadre officers with AGMUT
In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, the Centre has merged J&K cadre for all India Services Viz; IAS, IPS and IFS officers with that of Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territory (AGMUT), also called the Union Territory cadre, through an ordinance.
- The move will allow officers posted in these states and UTs to work in J&K and vice versa.
- The move will help tackle the shortage of All India Services Officers in J&K owing to an earlier rule fixing the ratio of direct recruits in Civil Services to promotees from J&K State Civil Services (Kashmir Administrative Service) at 50:50 instead of 67:33 formula followed in other states.
Subodh Kumar Jaiswal appointed as CISF DG
Maharashtra-cadre IPS officer Subodh Kumar Jaiswal assumed the charge of Director General, Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
- Prior to this, he was serving as Director General of Police, Maharashtra, since February 28, 2019.
PK Purwar re-appoimnted as CMD of MTNL
The Board of Directors of state-run Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) has re-appointed PK Purwar as Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of the telecom PSU.
- Purwar is currently CMD of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL). He assumed additional charge as CMD of MTNL in April 2020.
- This is the fourth time Purwar has been given charge of the post of MTNL’s CMD in the last six years.
Elon Musk overtakes Amazon’s Jeff Bezos to become world’s richest person
Tesla Inc chief and billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk surpassed Amazon.com Inc’s top boss Jeff Bezos to become the world’s richest man, Bloomberg News reported.Elon Musk had a net worth of more than $188.5 billion.
- Bill Gates is now a distant third at $132 billion, according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index, a ranking of the world’s 500 wealthiest people.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
NIXI offers free Domain in local Indian languages
The National Internet Exchange of India, NIXI has announced that it will offer a free Internationalized Domain Name, IDN in any of the preferred 22 official Indian language along with every IN domain booked by the registrant.
- Applicant will also get a free email in local language. This offer has been created to stimulate the adoption of भारत IDN domain name and proliferation of local language content.
- This offer is valid for new .in users who register up to 31st of January. This offer is also extended to those existing in users who renew their domain in the month of January 2021.
Legendary tennis coach Bob Brett passes away
Bob Brett, a tennis coach whose players included Grand Slam champions Boris Becker, Goran Ivanisevic and Marin Cilic, has died at the age of 67.
- Brett received the ATP’s Tim Gullickson Career Coach award in November.
- In addition to his work with Becker, Ivanisevic, Cilic and other individual players, Brett coached for national tennis associations in Britain, Japan and Canada. He also opened a private tennis academy in San Remo, Italy.
Former Minister K.K. Ramachandran passes away
Former Minister and veteran Congress leader K K Ramachandran died of a heart attack. He was 78.
- A six-time legislator, Ramachandran had served as food and civil supplies minister in the A K Antony government during 1995-96 and as health minister in the Oommen Chandy ministry in 2004.
- He had served in various official positions in Congress, including as KPCC general secretary, AICC member and state vice-president of INTUC.
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas celebrated on 9 January
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is observed on January 9th every year to mark the contribution of the Overseas Indian community in the development of India.
- On this day in 1915, Mahatma Gandhi, the greatest Pravasi, returned to India from South Africa, which led India’s freedom struggle and changed the lives of Indians forever.
- This year, the theme of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is “Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat”.