Current Affairs 11 April 2017
UAE’s Aster DM Healthcare agrees $295 million loan with Axis Bank
United Arab Emirates-based Aster DM Healthcare has agreed a $295 million credit facility with India’s Axis Bank.
Manappuram Finance to launch co-branded prepaid card with YES Bank
In its efforts to promote digital financial transactions, the Kerala-based NBFC Manappuram Finance will launch its own co-branded prepaid card ‘Manappuram YES Bank Prepaid Money Card’ in tie-up with YES Bank.
ESAF Small Finance Bank launches social deposit scheme Hrudaya Deposit
ESAF Small Finance Bank has launched a social deposit scheme called Hrudaya Deposit.
- The deposit scheme, as the name suggests, stands for a social cause, through which, ESAF Bank provides the customers an opportunity to be a part in social welfare projects, which none of the other banks has given so far.
Minister launches mobile app for interface with discoms
Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal launched the ‘Urja Mitra’ mobile application that allows consumers across India to exchange real-time information with electricity distribution companies (discoms) on power supply.
- The Power Ministry earlier launched a related application — Urban Jyoti Abhiyaan (Urja) — to monitor service delivery to consumers in towns across the country.
- According to data from the Urja app, Kerala, Maharashtra and Rajasthan top the list of states supplying uninterrupted power, with Jharkhand, Uttarakhand and Assam trailing in this regard.
“nakshe” Portal launched by Dr. Harsh Vardhan on 250th Anniversary of Survey of India
A new web portal “nakshe” was launched by the Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi, on the occasion of 250th anniversary of Survey of India (SoI).
- The Survey of India, the principal mapping agency of the country is celebrating its 250th anniversary this year. Origin of the Survey of India is traced back to Year 1767.
- It is the oldest scientific department in India and one of the oldest survey establishments in the world.
Varanasi to Build Music Village in Honour of Bismillah Khan
Varanasi is soon going to get a music village in the memory of Ustad Bismillah Khan, who belonged to Uttar Pradesh. The newly elected Yogi Adityanath government cleared the project.
- The music village is the brainchild of Soma Ghosh, the adopted daughter of the legendary shehnai player.
- The music village is to be named ‘Bismillah Khan Sangeet Gram’ will have a number of features including a museum and a music centre and a training-cum-research centre along with some special features of a musical ‘gharana’.
Assam govt to electrify all villages in state by 30th June
Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal announced that the government will electrify all villages in the state by 30th June this year under Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gram Jyoti Yojana.
Madhya Pradesh govt decides to ban plastic carry bags from May 1
Madhya Pradesh government has decided to ban plastic carry bags from 1st of May in the state.
Karnataka unveils mobile app for women’s safety
Karnataka Chief Minster Siddaramaiah has unveiled mobile app ‘Suraksha’ for the safety of women in Bengaluru.
- Launched by the Bengaluru police, the integrated personal app is aimed at helping women for their safety and security in emergency.
Arunachal Pradesh Deputy CM Mein inaugurates Tertiary Cancer Centre
Arunachal Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Chawna Mein inaugurated Tertiary Cancer Centre at Tomo Riba Institute of Health & Medical Sciences at Naharlagun.
- With this Arunachal is now equipped with the highest level of cancer treatment facilities.
Two-Day National TB Summit held in Dharamshala
Two-Day National TB Summit, for raising awareness and increasing momentum to fight against TB held in Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
- This is the first such summit on TB which will bring together Central & State Ministers, Members of Parliament (MPs), celebrities, bureaucrats, donors, corporate partners, health experts and organisations working to eradicate TB.
- All these stakeholders pledged their support for ‘TB free India by 2025’.
International Convention on World Homoeopathy Day held in New Delhi
The event is being organized to commemorate the 262nd birth anniversary of the founder of Homeopathy, Dr. Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann, a German physician, who was a great scholar, linguist and acclaimed scientist.
- The theme of the convention is “Enhancing Quality Research in Homeopathy through scientific evidence and rich clinical experiences”.
Children’s film fest held in Visakhapatnam
Children’s Film Society, India (CFSI) hosted National Childrens Film Festival (NCFF) in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- Child artist, Nikhileshwar, well known for his role in Bahubali, where he played young Bahubali, marked his presence as guest of honor.
7,000 girls perform ‘Kuchipudi’ in Vizag to set new record
As many as 7,000 girl students performed classical dance ‘Kuchpudi’ in Vizag, Andhra Pradesh to set a Guinness World record.
- This happened in the event to commemorate 125th birth anniversary of B.R. Ambedkar.
Atmosphere detected around Earth-like planet
Astronomers have for the first time detected an atmosphere around an Earth-like planet just 39 light years away, a significant step towards the detection of life beyond our solar system.
- Scientists studied the planet known as GJ 1132b, which is 1.4-times the size of our planet.
UK scientists to drill world’s highest Khumbu glacier
UK-based scientists are set to travel to the Himalayas in a bid to become the first team to successfully drill through the world’s highest glacier.
President released Veerappa Moily’s book ‘The Flaming Tresses of Draupadi’
Uruguay to become first country to sell marijuana in pharmacies
Uruguay will become the first country in the world to allow recreational marijuana to be sold in pharmacies, starting in July.
- The country adopted a revolutionary law in 2013 that fully legalised the production, sale and consumption of marijuana.
Wrestler Sakshi at 5th spot, Tomar 7th in world rankings
Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik and Asia No. 1 Sandeep Tomar have entered the top 10 in their respective categories in the world rankings of the United World Wrestling (UWW).
- Malik is placed fifth in world rankings while Tomar holds the seventh place in men’s 57kg freestyle division.
ICC names Intel ‘Innovative Partner’ for Champions Trophy
For the upcoming Champions Trophy, the International Cricket Council (ICC) has named global chipmaker Intel as its ‘Innovation Partner’ to help coaches and players improve performance.
- The tournament will be held in England and Wales between June 1 and June 18.