Daily Current Affairs 11 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
‘One Nation, One Ration Card’: Inter-state portability across India by June 2020
In a bid to implement ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ across the country by 1 June, 2020, the Centre kick-started inter-state portability of ration card between Telangana-Andhra Pradesh as well as Maharashtra-Gujarat.
- This means beneficiaries living in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh can buy their quota of ration from the Public Distribution System (PDS), also called ration shops, in either of the state. Similar would be the case in Maharasthra and Gujarat.
Rajasthan govt releases biofuel policy 2019, becomes first state to do so
The Rajasthan government released biofuel rules-2019 on the eve of the World Biofuel Day. Deputy Chief Minister Sachin Pilot said Rajasthan is the first state in the country to bring the policy for biofuel after the notification of the Centre. Promotion of biofuel will reduce the need of fossil fuel in the interest of environment, and also generate employment opportunities
UP’s “Vriksharopan Mahakumbh” drive creates world record
Uttar Pradesh’s “Vriksharopan Mahakumbh” drive has created world record after planting more than 22 crore saplings. The drive was launched on the occasion of 77th anniversary of Quit India Movement. More than 22 crore saplings were planted at 12.2 lakh locations under the drive in state. Another record of “largest distribution of saplings in the world” was created when 76823 saplings were distributed free in just 6 hours in Prayagraj.
Girl, 9, Seen Crying Over Felled Trees Made Manipur’s “Green Ambassador”
The Manipur government has appointed a nine-year-old girl as the brand ambassador for the Chief Minister’s Green Manipur Mission, after a video of her crying inconsolably on seeing the two trees planted by her being cut down went viral on social media.
- Elangbam Valentina Devi, a Class V student, had planted two Gulmohar (royal poinciana) trees by the side of a river when she was in Class 1.
3rd International Electric Vehicle (EV) Conclave held in Manesar
The 3rd International Electric Vehicle Conclave was inaugurated at the International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) in Manesar, Haryana. The Conclave was held to create a knowledge sharing platform to ensure flow of information at all levels in the automotive sector.
KVIC launches “Leather Mission” on World Tribal Day
The Khadi and Village Industry Commission has launched “Leather Mission” on World Tribal Day (9 August). Under this mission, the commission will give leather kits to the leather artisans across the nation.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
RBI task force submits report on offshore rupee markets
The Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) task force, chaired by Usha Thorat, set up to examine the issues relating to the offshore rupee markets has submitted its report to the governor.
- The task force was set up to examine issues relating to the offshore rupee markets in depth and recommend appropriate policy measures while factoring in the requirement of ensuring stability of the external value of the rupee including measures for incentivising non-residents to access the onshore foreign exchange market.
Practo partners with RBL Bank to launch health-focused credit card
Digital healthcare platform, Practo has partnered with RBL Bank to launch a co-branded credit card, powered by Mastercard. The card is designed to cater to customers in both metros and non-metro cities, through Practo and RBL Bank’s customer base across the country.
- The benefits of RBL Bank Practo Plus credit card include unlimited online consultations with doctors 24*7 for 1 year, one complimentary full-body health check-up and for every Rs. 100 spent on this card, cardholder earns 1 Practo HealthCash which can be used while availing Practo services like ordering medicine, tests and online consultations.
Afghanistan Cricket Board suspends Mohammad Shahzad
Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) suspended the contract of Mohammad Shahzad for an indefinite period stating that the wicket-keeper batsman breached ACB’s Code of Conduct.
Freedom fighter Dayanidhi Nayak passes away at 95
Noted freedom fighter Dayanidhi Nayak, who struggled against the British Government during the Quit India movement, has passed away at the age of 95.
- One of the 32 freedom fighters from Panimora, he joined the Quit India movement against the British government and was a devout follower of Mahatma Gandhi.