Daily Current Affairs 11 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
UIDAI introduces ‘Virtual ID’ to address privacy concerns
In an attempt to address security and privacy concerns around leakage of Aadhaar numbers and data, the Unique Identification Authority of India introduced two new measures – virtual ID and limited KYC.
- The virtual identity or virtual ID will be a random 16-digit number mapped to the Aadhaar number of a citizen, and will come with an expiration date. The VID will not be duplicable by agencies performing authentication of Aadhaar number, and hence will ensure safety of the Aadhaar number.
- The UIDAI has further introduced limited KYC (know your customer) process wherein only some entities, categorised as global authentication user agency (global AUA) will be allowed to store a citizen’s Aadhaar number, while others, known as local AUAs will not be allowed to store Aadhaar numbers.
Prez Kovind to inaugurate three-day International Dharma Dhamma conference
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated three day International Dharma- Dhamma conference in RAJGIR in Bihar.
- The conference is on State and Social Order in Dharma -Dhamma Traditions.
- The conference will bring together a wide array of dignatories who are responsible for governance, policy making and giving directions to countries.
Railways launches SFOORTI App for freight managers
In a major digital initiative to help plan the traffic flows and optimize freight operations, Railways have launched Smart Freight Operation Optimisation and Real Time Information, SFOORTI, App for freight managers.
- The app provides a bird’s eye view of all freight assets in a single window and end to end rake movement on Geospatial view.
GAIL to set up India’s 1st coal-to-gas conversion plant
India’s first plant to convert coal to synthetic gas is to be set up in Odisha under the supervision of state-run gas transmission utility GAIL.
World’s largest solar thermal plant to be built in South Australia
The world’s largest solar-thermal power plant has been given development approval by the South Australian government.Construction on the 150-megawatt Aurora plant, to be built by utility-scale solar power company SolarReserve, will begin in 2018 at an estimated cost of $509 million.
Kajol named ambassador for Swachh Aadat Swachh Bharat
Actress Kajol, an active supporter of eradicating preventable deaths from hygiene-related issues, has become an advocacy ambassador for a Swachh Aadat Swachh Bharat initiative.
- Kajol took to Twitter to urge people to become “swachhta doot” and contribute to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.