Daily Current Affairs 11 July 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NSIC signs MOU with Small Business Corporation (South Korea)
National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) signed an MOU with Small Business Corporation (SBC) of South Korea to facilitate, assist and provide necessary support to MSMEs of both the countries to identify and exchange latest technologies, share management expertise, Product development, technology applications for productive development coinciding with the inauguration of Indo Korea Technology Exchange Centre at NSIC campus, Okhla Industrial Estate, New Delhi.
India surpasses France to become world’s sixth largest economy
India has become the world’s sixth largest economy overtaking France, according to World Bank data on gross domestic product (GDP) of countries for 2017.
- Ranking below United Kingdom, India has recorded a GDP of USD 2,597,491 million, followed by USD 2,582,501 of France, while United Kingdom recorded a GDP of USD 2,622,434 million.
- United States has topped the list recording a GDP of USD 19,390,604 million, followed by China with USD 12,237,700 million.
Supreme Court orders Hospitals to provide free treatment to poor patients
The Supreme Court bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra announced that all private hospitals in Delhi, which were given land on concessional rate, must provide free treatment to certain percentage of poor patients.
- Providing treatment to the poor was one of the clauses in the lease deed due to which land was given to hospitals at a very cheap price.
- It is mandatory for private hospitals, built on land allocated by the government on concessional rates, to provide 10 per cent treatment to In Patient Department (IPD) and 25 per cent to Out Patient Department (OPD) for free.
BSNL launches first Internet telephony service in India
State-owned BSNL launched India’s first Internet telephony service “Wings”. This service would allow customers to make and receive calls over the Internet from anywhere in India or abroad.
- It will use a Mobile Numbering Scheme, and will need an SIP Client (soft app) to be downloaded and installed on a smart device (laptop, smartphone, tablet).
First-ever metal craft exhibition inaugurated in Leh
With an aim to promote and preserve the metal craft tradition of Ladakh, the first-ever metal craft exhibition was held in Chilling village in Leh, Jammu and Kashmir.
- The maiden exhibition, organised by the Youth Association for Conservation and Development Hemis High Altitude National Park, in collaboration with Heritage Home Chilling, showcased the indigenous craft to the visitors.
Delhi CM approves yatra scheme
The Delhi government would send 77,000 senior citizens along with one adult attendant each on all-expenses paid pilgrimages every year, with Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal approving the scheme called Mukhyamantri Tirth yatra Yojana.
- The government would also pay for one attendant over the age of 18 years to accompany each senior citizen.
Andhra CM inaugurates ‘Anna Canteen’, meals for Rs 5
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu inaugurated ‘Anna Canteen’, which will serve food for just Rs. 5. The canteen would serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner all at the same rate.
‘One farmer one transformer’ scheme in Maharashtra from August 15
In order to reduce electricity losses, the Maharashtra government will on August 15, 2018 launch a new scheme allocating one transformer per farmer. Two lakh farmers will be given electricity connection for high voltage distribution line which will ensure uninterrupted power supply under the scheme “one farmer one transformer”.
Haryana tops states in per capita revenue collection under GST
Haryana has topped the states in per capita revenue collection under GST and has become fourth highest generator of e-way bills in the country. The state has also widened the tax base by 82.22 per cent, logging 19 per cent hike in revenue collections.
In a first, Indian Naval aircraft deployed for RIMPAC exercise
For the first time, Indian Navy’s P8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft from Indian Naval Ship (INS) Rajali has inducted at Hawaii for participating in the Rim of Pacific Multinational Naval exercise (RIMPAC-18).
- This is the first time ever that an Indian Naval aircraft has traversed so far east into the Pacific.
Indian Satyarup Siddhanta scales world’s highest volcano
Satyarup Siddhanta has become the second Indian mountaineer after Malli Mastan Babu to climb Mt Ojos del Salado, the highest volcano in the world.
- Ojos del Salado is a stratovolcano (a volcano built up of alternate layers of lava and ash)in the Andes on the Argentina-Chile border and the highest active volcano in the world at 6,893 metres (22,615 ft).
- Satyarup is also set to be the first Indian to climb Mt Sidley, the highest volcano of Antarctica, which will help him realise the dream of scaling seven summits and seven volcanic summits.
India Japan Partnership Group Holds “India Japan AI and Fintech Forum” in Tokyo
India Japan Partnership Group held the first India Japan AI and Fintech Forum in central Tokyo district of Marunouchi. The forum attended by industry, government and academic leaders in the domain emphasized the need for India Japan collaboration in the areas like AI and related DeepTech technologies like Fintech, Blockchain, IoT and Cyber Security.
India constructs library for Nepali academicians
Nepali Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli inaugurated a library in Kathmandu built by the Indian Government in the presence of Indian Ambassador Manjeev Singh Puri.
- Nepal received financial assistance of NRs. 43.94 million from India for construction of the building.
HDFC securities enable MF transactions through Facebook messenger
HDFC securities announced launch of Mutual Funds transactional capabilities on Facebook Messenger through their virtual assistant, Arya.
- A subsidiary of HDFC Bank, HDFC securities rolled out a theme called “The Pace of Innovation” which is structured to innovate and provide intuitive and relevant digital solutions to customers and this effort, is in line with the vision.
Indian men’s hockey team to be part of TOPS
The Mission Olympic Cell (MOC) decided to approve the Indian Men’s Hockey team, comprising 18 players selected for the Asian Games, as part of the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS).
- Under this scheme, the hockey team will receive a monthly allowance of Rs.50, 000 per team member.
- The decision was taken in view of the recent improvement in the performance of the men’s hockey team under the newly appointed coach Harendra Singh.
T Latha Appointed New MD & CEO Of Dhanlaxmi Bank
Dhanlaxmi Bank Limited has appointed T Latha as the Managing Director & CEO. She has taken over from G Sreeram, who has retired from the office on completion of his tenure.
Italian pop star Laura Pausini named WFP Goodwill Ambassador
Award-winning Italian singer Laura Pausini has been named Goodwill Ambassador of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), WFP announced, calling her “a role model both on and off stage”.
Veteran journalist JN Sadhu passes away
Veteran journalist JN Sadhu has passed away at the age of 94. He was a committed journalist, who always maintained professionalism and remained active in the field of journalism for many years.