Daily Current Affairs 11 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Lal Bahadur Shastri Statue unveiled by PM
The Prime Minister unveiled the statue of former Prime Minister Sh. Lal Bahadur Shastri at the Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport in Varanasi.
- It is built by Northern Coalfields, a subsidiary of Coal India.
India – Asean Troika Trade Ministers’ Meeting in New Delhi
India – ASEAN Troika Trade Ministers’ meeting was held in New Delhi for informal consultation on the ongoing Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP).
- Addressing the meeting Piyush Goyal said that India looks at RCEP as a logical extension of its Act East Policy and it holds enormous potential for economic growth and stability for the entire region.
Government approved Phase-I of Bharatmala Pariyojana along Indo-Nepal Border areas
The Government of India has approved Phase-I of Bharatmala Pariyojana with financial outlay of Rs 5,35,000 crore to develop 24,800 km Highways along with 10,000 km residual NHDP stretches over a period of five years. In Bharatmala Pariyojana Phase-I, development of Border & International Connectivity roads for a length of 2000 km has also been envisaged with outlay of Rs 25,000 crore.
A new human atlas initiative named Manav launched for holistic understanding of human biology
Manav, a new human atlas initiative launched by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Persistent Systems, a biotechnology company towards improving knowledge on human biology.
- The main aim is to create a database of a molecular network of all the tissues in the human body.
- They will help scientists to understand the differential molecular factors vary between diseased states versus a healthy state of an organ.
Sri Lanka eliminates measles
The World Health Organization announced that Sri Lanka has eliminated measles, interrupting transmission of the indigenous virus that causes the killer childhood disease.
- Sri Lanka has become fifth country in the World Health Organisation (WHO) Southeast Asia region to eliminate measles.
- The other countries in the region which have achieved this feat are Bhutan, Maldives, DPR Korea and Timor-Leste.
Ukraine inaugurates world’s largest Metal Dome
Ukraine has inaugurated the world’s largest movable metal dome encasing the destroyed reactor at the infamous Chernobyl plant. It is a 108-meter high dome which weighs 36,000 tonnes.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Milkbasket acquires Bengaluru’s e-grocery store PSR Supply Chain
Online grocery delivery platform Milkbasket has acquired Bengaluru-based e-grocery distributor PSR Supply Chain.
- Founded in early 2015, Milkbasket has built a new-age technology platform to enable a smooth grocery buying experience online.
Qasanov Memorial Meet at Almaty in Kazakhstan
Indian track and field athletes won 5 Gold medals in Qasanov Memorial Meet at Almaty in Kazakhstan.
- Mohammed Afsal won the men’s 800m gold.
- Gagandeep Singh won gold in men’s discus throw.
- Navjeet Kaur Dhillon won the third gold for India recording discuss throw covering 54.80m.
- MD. Salahuddin secured gold in men’s triple jump event.
- Sahil Silwal won Gold in the men’s javelin throw event.
Mitchell Starc sets World Cup record
Australia’s Mitchell Starc broke all-time World Cup record as the pacer now has the most number of wickets, 27, in a single edition of a World Cup.
- He surpassed the record of former Australian pacer Glenn Mcgrath, who took 26 wickets in the 2007 edition of the quadrennial tournament.
Reebok signs Katrina Kaif as its new brand ambassador
Fitness brand Reebok has announced Bollywood actor Katrina Kaif as its new brand ambassador in India.
- Kaif, who trains hard for a fitter and better self each day, embodies the brand ethos and is an inspiration for today’s generation.
The Aditya Birla World Academy is the Only Indian School to Feature in ‘The Commonwealth at 70’ Book
The Aditya Birla World Academy, India’s leading International school is the only Indian school to be featured in ‘The Commonwealth at 70: From Westminster to the World’ book published by the popular London publishers St James’s House and the History of Parliament Trust.
Former Goa minister Wilfred Mesquita passes away
Former Goa minister Wilfred Mesquita passed away recently after a brief illness. He was 70.
- He served as the cabinet minister in late 1990s in the then Congress-led state government and held various portfolios like revenue, environment, sports and youth affairs, power, law and judiciary and legislative affairs.
Former India goalkeeper Celestine passes away
Former India football goalkeeper from Tamil Nadu A. U. Celestine passed away. He played for the Tamil Nadu men’s team in the senior Nationals as a keeper in the 1965 and 69 National championships.
Brazilian bossa nova pioneer Joao Gilberto passes away
The legendary Brazilian musician and songwriter Joao Gilberto passed away. He was the pioneer of the lilting, melodious and famous music known as Bossa Nova.
World Population Day
World Population day is an annual event, observed on July 11 every year, which seeks to raise awareness of global population issues. The event was established by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme in 1989.