Daily Current Affairs 11 July 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
BANKING & FINANCE
Mastercard, Mumbai Metro and Axis Bank launch ‘One Mumbai Metro Card’, to ensure a seamless commute for Mumbaikars
Mastercard, Mumbai Metro and Axis Bank announced the launch of ‘One Mumbai Metro Card’, to ensure contactless and cashless travel for Mumbaikars.
- It is a prepaid, open loop contactless card which can be used as a part of the daily transit journey with just a tap. With this solution, Mastercard has continued to contribute in changing the way India commutes and helping the transit eco-system go completely digital.
- This is a card that can be used for all daily purchases from food, groceries, medicines as well as tickets.
NIIT, Axis Bank partner to launch digital banking academy
NIIT Institute of Finance Banking and Insurance (NIIT IFBI) and Axis Bank have launched a fintech professional programme to build future-ready professionals for the private sector lender.
- The programme offers graduates with zero to three years of experience an opportunity to join Axis Bank as a deputy manager (IT).
- NIIT said the programme is immersive in nature where the learners perform tasks of similar complexity as they would face in their role.
IndusInd Bank joins hands with TPCODL to launch fully digital payment network in Odisha
IndusInd Bank announced that it has partnered with TP Central Odisha Distribution Limited (TPCODL), a joint venture between Tata Power and the Government of Odisha to launch a fully digital network for facilitating electricity bill payment across the state.
- Through its vast network of ‘Bharat Money Stores’, a proposition by Bharat Financial Inclusion Limited, which is a 100 per cent subsidiary, the bank will enable nearly 30 lakh customers of TPCODL, who are residing in semi-urban and rural areas of the state to pay their bills seamlessly.
SBI General Insurance Launches ‘Arogya Supreme Health Insurance‘
SBI General Insurance, one of India’s leading general insurers, announced the launch of a comprehensive health insurance plan named ‘Arogya Supreme’.
- This specific plan is designed to ensure that customers can have full health insurance coverage, including 20 basic covers and 8 optional covers.
- The policy provides a wide range of sum insured options up to ₹5 crore, wherein customers can choose from 3 options viz Pro, Plus and Premium based on the sum insured and coverage features.
- Among other customer-friendly coverages like Sum Insured Refill, Recovery Benefit, Compassionate Visit, etc. customers also have a facility to choose the policy tenure ranging from 1 to 3 years.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Epsilon sets up ₹550-cr carbon black complex in Bellary
Epsilon Carbon, a coal tar derivates company, has established India’s first integrated carbon black complex with ₹550 crore investment at Bellary, Karnataka. With a capacity of 115,000 tonnes per annum (tpa), the carbon black unit is already running close to full capacity.
- As part of phase two, Epsilon will expand its capacity by 65,000 tpa at an additional investment of ₹350 crore, taking the total investment close to ₹900 crore.
- Further, the company will expand its carbon black capacity to 300,000 tpa to become the country’s largest single-location carbon black plant, which will bring cost-efficiency and consistent quality products for customers.
Kanchan Ugursandi finishes world’s 1st solo motorcycle expedition covering 18 Himalayan passes
Mountain biker Kanchan Ugursandi finished in New Delhi the world”s first solo motorcycle expedition covering 18 treacherous passes of northern Himalayan mountain ranges.
- Miss Ugursandi has become the first solo woman biker to scale the Umlingla Pass, the first woman to cover the 18 passes and also the first woman to traverse a distance of 3,187 kilometre from New Delhi-Manali-Leh-Umlingla-Delhi in one go.
Sweden’s Lofven re-elected as PM
Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven reappointed his previous cabinet of Social Democrats and Greens following his re-election.
- Lofven resigned last month after losing a no-confidence vote but got re-elected by parliament on Wednesday. He reappointed Social Democrats Magdalena Andersson as finance minister and Ann Linde as foreign minister.
UK Government Awards Social Activist For Feeding 1,500 People Everyday
Syed Osman Azhar Maqsusi, a social activist from Hyderabad, has recently been granted the prestigious United Kingdoms Commonwealth Points of Light Award for his initiative ‘Hunger Has No Religion’. The hunger drive feeds about 1,500 people every day in five cities across the country.
- Presented by the British government, the award is given to the outstanding individual volunteers who make a positive difference through their services to the community around them.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
France tests laser-powered anti-drone system
The French military used a laser-powered canon to destroy a drone in a test of technology that the government hopes will be used to protect the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
- The Armed Forces Ministry said the test, conducted near the Atlantic coast in southwestern France, was a first for Europe, adding that the United States and Israel were also working on similar “Star Wars”-inspired weapons.
- France plans to use the system, developed by local startup firm Cilas with public funds, to protect military bases and nuclear plants, as well as major events, against small low-flying drones that can escape radar detection.
Film critic and actor Mahesh Kathi passes away
Mahesh Kathi, a known Telugu film critic and actor, has passed away. He was 44.He had last month met with an accident near Chandrasekharapuram village in Kodavalur Mandal of Nellore district.
- He was known for films like Nene Raju Nene Mantri, Hrudaya Kaleyam, Amma Rajyam Lo Kadapa Biddalu, and most recently Krack, which released in January this year. He also directed a movie in 2015 called Pesaratu.