Daily Current Affairs 11 June 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
France to provide up to 7 lakh euros for railway station development in India
Indian Railway Station Development Corporation (IRSDC) entered into a tripartite agreement with French National Railways (SNCF) and French Development Agency (AFD), under which a grant of up to 7 lakh euros will be provided to boost capacity building for railway station development program in India.
Haryana to set up six nursing colleges
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has approved the construction of six nursing colleges at a cost Rs 194.30 crore in the state so as to overcome the shortage of trained and qualified nursing personnel.
- The nursing colleges will be constructed within 15 months. He said two colleges would be constructed in Faridabad district, while one each in Rewari, Kaithal, Kurukshetra and Panchkula districts.
India hands over NPR 1.6 billion to Nepal for post-quake reconstruction
India handed over NPR 1.6 billion as reimbursement of part payment of the first and second tranches of housing reconstruction in Nuwakot and Gorkha, among the areas affected in the devastating 2015 earthquake.
- India is partnering with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) for providing socio-technical facilitation to the affected house owners to ensure that homes are rebuilt as per the Nepalese Government’s earthquake resilient norms.
Canada to ban single-use plastics by 2021
In an effort to curb pollution of oceans, the Canadian government announced that it will ban single-use plastics as early as 2021.
- Underlining the harmful effects of using plastic, the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that the action should be implemented as soon as possible.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Limited acquires ‘Jaypore’
India’s leading fashion company, Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Limited began a new chapter in its growth story with 100 per cent acquisition of ‘Jaypore’; an Indian online and offline retailer, that offers curated collections of handmade, handwoven and handcrafted apparel, jewellery, home textiles and accents, based on craft forms, from all over India.
Amazon dethrones Google as top global brand: 100 Top BrandZ report
According to global market research agency Kantar in its 2019’s ‘100 Top BrandZ Report’, US retail giant Amazon has moved past hi-tech titans Apple and Google to become the world’s most valuable brand.
- The brand value of Amazon surged by 52 percent to $315 billion, hence jumping from third to first place to replace Google.
Kothari wins Pacific International Snooker C’ship
Reigning World billiards champion Sourav Kothari lifted the 2019 Pacific International Snooker Championship – The Reventon Classic, in Melbourne.
Sharad Kumar named interim CVC Vigilance Commissioner
Sharad Kumar has been named as acting Central Vigilance Commissioner as current (CVC). K V Chowdary completed his tenure at the anti-graft body.
BJP MP Virendra Kumar to be the Protem Speaker of 17th Lok Sabha
Virendra Kumar, a seventh time BJP MP from Tikamgarh constituency in Madhya Pradesh and a former Union Minister, has been chosen to be the Protem Speaker of the Lok Sabha.
- Usually, the senior-most member of the House is chosen as protem Speaker whose job is to oversee the oath taking by the newly-elected members and the election of a regular Speaker of the house.
Venkateswarlu appointed as Chief Secretary to Tripura govt
U Venkateswarlu, Additional Chief Secretary to Governor of Tripura, Kaptan Singh Solanki, has been appointed as the Chief Secretary to the state government.
- TK Chakma, Secretary to the Government of Tripura, will hold the additional charge of Secretary to the Governor of Tripura.
Ali Stroker makes history as first person on wheelchair to win Tony Award
Ali Stroker made history by becoming the first actor in a wheelchair to win a Tony Award. The 31-year-old won best-featured actress in a musical award for her outstanding role as Ado Annie in Rogers and Hammerstein’s ‘Oklahoma!’
Former Puducherry CM R V Janakiraman passed away
Former Puducherry Chief Minister between 1996 and 2000, a senior Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam leader R V Janakiraman, who headed the coalition government of DMK and the Tamil Maanila Congress died after a brief age-related illness.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs