Daily Current Affairs 11 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Traditional ‘Fagli’ festival celebrated in Himachal Pradesh’s Kinnaur
The traditional ‘Fagli’ festival was celebrated in Yangpa village of Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh with great fervour.
- The festival is organised to observe the “victory of good over evil”.This festival is celebrated to mark the end of winter or the beginning of spring
Gujarat tops in domestic solar rooftop installations in 2020
To achieve renewable power generation goals, Gujarat has topped the list in the installations of solar rooftop plants across the country with about 50,915 systems being fixed on domestic rooftops in the State as on March 2, 2020.
- Maharashtra follows with 5,513 installations as on the same date.
- The Government of India has set a target of installation of 40,000 MW of Rooftop Solar (RTS) projects by the year 2022 in the country including installation of RTS on rooftop of houses.
Centre constitutes Delimitation commission for J&K, Assam, Manipur, Arunachal
The Central government has constituted the Delimitation Commission for the purpose of delimitation of Assembly and Parliamentary constituencies in the Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir and the States of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Nagaland.
- the Commission will be headed by former Supreme Court judge, Justice (Retd.) Ranjana Desai, whose tenure will last a year or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- The Commission will also consist of two members, viz. an Election Commissioner (presently Mr. Sushil Chandra) and the State Election Commissioners of the concerned States and UT.
Andhra Pradesh ranked 1st in the country for overall implementation of POSHAN Abhiyaan
Andhra Pradesh ranked 1st in country for overall implementation of Poshan Abhiyan as per the recent report shared by NITI Aayog
- Government is implementing Poshan Abhiyan earlier known as National Nutrition Mission, since 18th December, 2017 to address the problem of malnutrition in the country.
Exhibition titled Jallianwala Bagh held in New Delhi
Culture Minister Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated an exhibition titled Jallianwala Bagh in New Delhi on the occasion of 130th Foundation Day of National Archives of India.
- The exhibition will be held at the NAI premises. Based on the original documents, the exhibition is an endeavour to commemorate the centenary of Jallianwala Bagh Massacre covering a period from 1915 to 1950.
Govt has formed committee to finalise modalities of Kisan Rail: Railways
The government has formed a committee under the Ministry of Agriculture which also includes representatives of the Indian Railways to work out the modalities of ‘Kisan Rail’.Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman proposed to set up a ‘Kisan Rail’ through the public-private-partnership (PPP) mode for a cold supply chain to transport perishable goods in her budget speech.
- “The committee has been formed under the aegis of Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, which includes representative from Ministry of Railways also, to work out the modalities of ‘Kisan Rai
India ranks 46th out of 100 countries, Sweden tops : Inclusive Internet Index 2020
India has been ranked 46th out of 100 countries on the inclusive internet index 2020 released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- It is the first highest ranking country in South Asian region followed by Sri Lanka , which is on the 56th spot.
- The first country ranked in this year’s index is, followed by New Zealand and the United States.
1st UNDP Gender Social Norms Index 2020: Almost 90 % of People are biased against women; Pakistan ranks 1st
According to the 1st edition of ‘Gender Social Norms Index (GSNI) 2020’, released by the UNDP (United Nations Development Programme), about 90 % or 9 in 10 of the world’s population has some bias against women.
- The first gender social norm index analysed data from 75 countries that, collectively, are home to more than 80% of the global population. It found that almost half of people feel men are superior political leaders and more than 40% believe men make better business executives. Almost a third of men and women think it’s acceptable for a man to beat his wife.
- Countries with the highest bias against women topped by Pakistan, Qatar-Nigeria and Zimbabwe
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
FDI inflows recorded highest ever for fiscal year 2018-19
The total Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflow was over 318 billion US dollars between 2014 and September 2019 representing nearly 50 percent of the cumulative FDI in India since April 2000.
- In 2018-19, the FDI inflow stood at a record 62 billion US dollars, highest ever recorded for a fiscal year.
Mohun Bagan Clinch I-League Title With 1-0 Win Over Aizawl FC
Mohun Bagan won the I-League title with four rounds still to go in the competition.
- Mohun Bagan achieved the feat after defeating Aizawl FC 1-0 at the Kalyani Stadium. With this win, the side has become the second team in the history of the tournament to clinch I-League with four rounds still left.
Lt Gen KJS Dhillon to take charge as DG DIA, Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (DCIDS)
After serving at strategic XV Corps of Army last year, Lt Gen KJS Dhillon will take over the post of Director General Defence Intelligence Agency and Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Intelligence).
- The 57-year-old Lt Gen Dhillon, who is from the 1983 batch of the Indian Military Academy, recently handed over the charge of XV Corps to Lt Gen B S Raju.
PV Sindhu wins ‘BBC Indian Sportswoman of the Year’ award
Indian badminton player PV Sindhu won the inaugural BBC Indian Sportswoman of the Year award following a public vote.The shortlist of five contenders also consisted of sprinter Dutee Chand, boxer Mary Kom, wrestler Vinesh Phogat and para-badminton player Manasi Joshi.
- Former sprinter PT Usha was given the Lifetime Achievement award for her contribution to Indian sports and inspiring generations of players.
- The Indian Olympics Association also named her Best Sportswoman of the Century.
Jewar Airport, UP receives international recognition for strategic infrastructure
In a major achievement for Uttar Pradesh’s Yogi Adityanath government, the first phase of Jewar airport has been included in the world’s 100 strategic global infrastructure projects for the year 2020.
- Uttar Pradesh (India) and Yugoslavia have been chosen in the field of aviation all over the world. It has been recognised in the CG LA Infrastructure list.
Telangana State Agricultural University Vice Chancellor Praveen Rao wins Dr MS Swaminathan Award
V Praveen Rao, Vice-Chancellor of Professor Jayashankar Telangana State Agricultural University (PJTSAU), has won the seventh Dr MS Swaminathan Award for the period 2017-2019
- Praveen Rao, the maiden VC of PJTSAU, handled 13 research and six consultancy projects on micro irrigation in India, Israel and South Africa.
Noted journalist Anant Dixit passed away
Veteran Marathi journalist Anant Dixit died after a prolonged illness. He was 67.
- Dixit had worked as the editor of Marathi newspaper ‘Sakal‘ in Pune as well as in Kolhapur, and also for daily ‘Lokmat’.
- He was known as an expert political analyst.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Tahira Kashyap announced a new book titled “The 12 Commandments Of Being A Woman”
Writer-filmmaker Tahira Kashyap Khurrana announced that she is coming up with her new book, titled The 12 Commandments of Being A Woman.
- The “12 commandments of Being A Woman” will be published by Juggernaut Books later this year.