Daily Current Affairs 11 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi, K P Oli jointly inaugurate Motihari-Amlekhganj petroleum product pipeline
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepal counterpart K P Sharma Oli jointly inaugurated the Motihari-Amlekhganj petroleum product pipeline via a video link.
- The over 60 km-long pipeline is the first-ever cross-border petroleum product pipeline in the South Asia region.
Kerala to set up India’s first trade centre for women
Kerala will set up India’s first international women’s trade centre (iWTC), in consonance with the United Nations sustainable development goals (SDGs), in Kozhikode.
- A key project of the state’s gender park under the department of social justice, it is envisaged as a safe space away from home for women to harness their entrepreneurial capabilities, set up or expand their businesses and get their products marketed globally.
- The first phase of iWTC, being executed under the gender park’s “Vision 2020”, is scheduled to be completed by 2021.
Niti Aayog, McKinsey to launch First Digital Capability Centre
India will soon set up its first digital capability centre showcase advanced technologies and provide a test bed for emerging innovations as the government looks to transform the country’s manufacturing sector.
- The Niti Aayog has roped in McKinsey & Company, which supports five such centres globally — in Aachen, Chicago, Singapore, Venice and Beijing — to develop it here.
National Conference on Crop Residue Management
The National Conference of Farmers on crop residue management 2019 for farmers from states of Punjab, Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh was held in New Delhi. The National Conference was held with an aim to address concerns of farmers and State Governments.
Gurugram Police ties up with Google for traffic updates
The Gurugram traffic police have tied up with Google maps for dissemination of traffic related information in real time for public use.
- The information such as planned road closures, diversions, traffic alerts regarding road crash etc. is now shared by Gurugram traffic police with Google maps. Based on the information shared by the traffic police, Google maps immediately updates the information on its public maps.
22nd Session of UN Committee on CRPD at Geneva
The 22nd Session of UN Committee on Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities was held at Geneva. The UN Committee on CRPD took up India’s First Country Report for consideration during the session. India ratified this Convention on 01-10-2007 in pursuance of Article 35 of the Convention.
Powerful Typhoon Faxai makes direct hit on Tokyo
Typhoon Faxai became one of the strongest typhoons in recent years to strike Japan’s capital city as the Greater Tokyo area was left under assault from fierce winds to heavy rain.
- As the storm lashed eastern Japan, Faxai reportedly turned deadly, killing at least three people and leaving more than 40 others injured.
Thessaloniki International Fair held in Greece
Thessaloniki International Fair (TIF) was held in Thessaloniki, Greece’s second-largest city. It is an annual international exhibition event and is one of the largest fairs of Greece. The United States were chosen as the honoured country for the 83rd Fair,
- India was the honoured country for the 84th TIF in 2019. An Indian delegation led by Minister of State (MoS) for Commerce and Industry, Hardeep Singh Puri participated in the 84th Thessaloniki International Fair (TIF) in Greece recently.Senior officials and businessmen and prominent Indian entrepreneurs were part of the delegation.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India Ratings cuts FY20 growth forecast for NBFCs to 10-12%
Credit rating agency India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra) cut its FY20 growth forecast for non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) to 10-12% from 15% earlier, and also revised the sector outlook to negative from stable.
Former Indian cricketer Amol Muzumdar appointed as South Africa’s interim batting coach
South Africa has appointed former India batsman Amol Muzumdar as their interim batting coach for the Test series against India, starting from October 2.
- Muzumdar will be replacing Dale Benkenstein, who departed after the team’s dismal performance in the 2019 World Cup.
Brazilian tennis player Diego Matos handed life ban for match-fixing
Brazil’s Diego Matos has been given a life ban from professional tennis and fined $125,000 after being found guilty of match-fixing.
Pawan Munjal to be inducted to Asia Pacific Golf Hall of Fame
Hero MotoCorp Chairman and Managing Director Pawan Munjal will be inducted to the 2019 Asia Pacific Golf Hall of Fame later this year for his support to the sport in India and around the world.
Rajiv Kumar appointed as the new MD of Microsoft India (R&D)
Microsoft has appointed Rajiv Kumar as the new managing director of Microsoft India Research and Development Pvt Ltd (MIRPL). He is currently served as a Corporate Vice-President of Microsoft’s Experiences and Devices (E+D) Group. He will replace Anil Bhansali, who held this role for six years.
Jack Ma steps down as chairman of Alibaba
Jack Ma, the founder of Alibaba, the Chinese e-commerce giant, has stepped down as chairman. Daniel Zhang will officially take over the reins of Alibaba and serve as the chairman of the group.
Odia Writer Pradeep Dash to receive 40th Sarala Puraskar
Noted Odia writer Pradeep Dash will be conferred with the 40th edition of prestigious Sarala Puraskar for his poetry work Charu Chibar O Charjya.
- The annual award, comprising a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh and a citation, will be presented at a special function to be held on October 26.
- Two more notable personalities of Odisha will be honoured for their valuable contribution in the field of music and art. While Pandit Harmohan Khuntia will be awarded ‘Ila Panda Sangeet Samman’, Lalat Mohan Patnaik will receive ‘Ila Panda Chitrakala Samman’.
Anupriya Lakra becomes first woman pilot from Odisha’s Naxal-Hit Region
Hailing from Odisha’s Naxal-affected Malkangiri district, 27-year-old Anupriya Lakra has scripted history by becoming the first female pilot from the backward region.
- Lakra, who will soon join a private airline as a co-pilot, has achieved this feat after years of hard work.
16-yr-old boy becomes youngest to pass ‘Mahapariksha’
Priyavrata, 16, created a record by becoming the youngest person to clear 14 levels of the Tenali Pariksha. Priyavrata became the youngest person to pass the Maha Pariksha.
- Tenali examination having 14 levels is taken twice a year by the students studying ‘Shastras.
Freedom fighter Heeralal Sharma passes away
Rajasthan born freedom fighter of India Heeralal Sharma has passed away at the age of 95. He took an active participated in the freedom struggle and was jailed for two years.
A book titled “Savarkar: Echoes from a forgotten past, 1883-1924” released
A book titled “Savarkar: Echoes from a forgotten past, 1883-1924″ is penned by Bengaluru-based historian Vikram Sampath and published by Penguin.
- This book describing the life of freedom fighter and Philosopher Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, popularly known as Veer Savarkar.