Daily Current Affairs 11 December 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NE states, UP, Bihar top in pandemic management: Report
North-eastern states have topped the list of states in managing Covid-19 followed by Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, according to a study conducted by SBI Research. Northeast was combined into one.
- Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Himachal Pradesh, on the other hand, are at the bottom of the list.
- As far as the entire country is concerned, the estimated number of infections is 9,929,000 which is 466,000 higher than the 9,463,000 confirmed cases. This indicated that India has done a fairly good job on controlling the spread of the virus.
- The northeast topped the list in the macro economic parameters as well, followed by Himachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. Bihar, Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal were at the bottom.
- Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra were at the top on performance in the Centre’s schemes, while Goa, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh were the most laggard.
Andhra Pradesh signs MoU with Survey of India for historic land survey
Andhra Pradesh government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Survey of India in the presence of Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy for the implementation of the ‘YSR Jagananna Saswatha Bhoomi Hakku-Bhoomi Rakshana’, scheduled for launch on December 21.
- The State government in partnership with Survey of India will be conducting a comprehensive survey which will go down in history with the golden letters, as such a large scale survey is being conducted for the first time in the country after almost 100 years.
- The State government and Survey of India are putting together 70 base stations to take up this survey, which will be added to their network in future.
Maharashtra Cabinet clears draft bill for proposed ‘Shakti Act’
The Maharashtra Cabinet approved the introduction of two draft bills pertaining to the prevention of incidents of violence and atrocities against women and children in the state.
- The “Maharashtra Shakti Criminal Law (Maharashtra Amendment) Bill, 2020” has been drafted along the lines of the Andhra Pradesh Disha Act Criminal Law (AP Amendment) Act, 2019. Once passed by the state legislature it will be called the “Shakti Act”.
- The second draft bill, which is meant for the implementation of the Shakti legislation, has been named as Special Court and Machinery for Implementation of Maharashtra Criminal Law, 2020.
World class incubation centre in offing in Maharashtra
In a bid to provide basic amenities and conducive atmosphere to new entrepreneurs, a world class incubation centre is in the offing in Maharashtra.
- The state government would sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Cornell University from New York, USA for setting up the incubation centre. With this, Maharashtra will become the first state in the country to come up with such a centre.
- The incubation centre will come up at Ghansoli in Navi Mumbai on a thirteen thousand square feet land. Besides, it will cost seven crore rupees annually to implement the project. A financial provision of five crore rupees has been done from the Maharashtra Industrial Development Board. While the remaining fund of one crore rupees each will be allocated from the social justice department and tribal development department.
Cabinet approves setting up of public WiFi networks under ‘PM-WANI’
The Union Cabinet approved a proposal for setting up public WiFi hotspots across the country via public data offices or PDOs, which could even be a kirana shop or a paan shop. The move, aimed at helping accelerate the uptake of broadband Internet services, will not require the PDOs to get a license or pay a fee.
- The public Wi-Fi Access Network Interface, which will be called ‘PM-WANI’, was first recommended by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) in 2017. This will involve multiple players, including PDOs, Public Data Office Aggregators (PDOA), app providers, and a central registry.
- PDOs — comparable to a PCO or a cybercafe — will establish, maintain, and operate Wi-Fi access points and deliver broadband services to subscribers, while the PDOAs will be aggregators of PDOs and perform functions such as authorisation and accounting.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBL Bank, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance announce bancassurance partnership
RBL Bank and ICICI Prudential Life Insurance have entered into a bancassurance partnership.
- This alliance will enable over 87 lakh customers of RBL Bank to access and seamlessly purchase customer-centric protection and long-term savings products of the company and provide financial security to themselves and their families.
Max Life Insurance launches critical illness rider and a wellness app
Max Life Insurance Company Ltd. announced the launch of ‘Max Life Critical Illness and Disability Rider’ along with ‘Max Fit’ — a comprehensive wellness programme.
- Max Life’s newly launched ‘Max Life Critical Illness and Disability Rider’ provides comprehensive financial protection against a range of critical illnesses and disability. With many critical illnesses linked to lifestyle related habits, Max Life wants customers to stay fit, active and maximise their personal health and wellbeing.
- Max Fit is a wellness app designed to lead customers on a path of protection through holistic fitness and wellness. In line with the company’s brand philosophy of “#YouAreTheDifference”, the app promises to provide patrons with a unique and exciting opportunity to work towards a healthier lifestyle with the ultimate aim of helping them realise that health is their biggest asset.
SBI General Insurance ties up with Mahindra Insurance to make deeper inroads into tier-2, 3 cities
SBI General Insurance has partnered with Mahindra Insurance Brokers Ltd (MIBL) to raise its penetration in tier-II and III cities.
- This association will enable the company to provide health insurance cover to a significant number of people in tier-II and III cities and generate employment.
- Under this ‘Sajhedaari programme’, the insurer said it hopes to make a significant milestone in realising its vision to be the most-trusted general insurer.
Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance launches digital campaign heroesofmycity
Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance has launched its new digital campaign- ‘heroes of my city’ celebrating real life heroes and their acts of generosity during the ongoing pandemic.
- This two month long campaign is an extension to the initiative ‘me for my city’ which was launched in 2018 by Canara HSBC OBC Life Insurance.
- The campaign is all about fulfilling promises to the society at large and making a difference to the cities.
- The campaign starts with actress Bhumi Pednekar lending a strong voice to the idea of recognising these real-life heroes that exist in every city.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
ADB narrows India’s FY21 GDP contraction projection to 8%
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) upgraded its forecast for the Indian economy, projecting 8% contraction in 2020-21 as compared to 9% estimated earlier, on the back of a faster-than-expected recovery.
- Observing that the economy had begun to normalise, the Asian Development Outlook (ADO) Supplement said the second quarter contraction at 7.5% was better-than-expected.
- The economy contracted by 23.9% in the June quarter on account of the impact of the COVID-19s pandemic.
BSNL in partnership with Skylo to introduce worlds’ first, satellite-based narrowband-IoT network in India
BSNL in partnership with Skylotech India announced a breakthrough in satellite-based NB-IoT (Narrow Band-Internet of Things).
- With this solution, India will now have access to a ubiquitous fabric of connectivity for millions of yet unconnected machines, sensors and industrial IoT devices.
- The coverage will be so vast that it will not leave any dark patch within the boundary of India, from Kashmir and Ladakh to Kanyakumari, and from Gujarat to the North East, including the Indian seas.
Madagascar replaces Maldives to host 2023 Indian Ocean Island Games
The 2023 Indian Ocean Island Games (IOIG), will take place in Madagascar, instead of Maldives. It will be the 11th edition of this multi-sport event for athletes representing the National Olympic Committees of Indian Ocean island nations.
- The Indian Ocean Island Games Federation has changed the host nation due to concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic.
Annika Sorenstam elected president of International Golf Federation
The IGF Board elected the 72-time LPGA winner and World Golf Hall of Famer, Annika Sorenstam as the next president of the International Golf Federation during a virtual meeting.
- Sorenstam will replace current president Peter Dawson, who decided not to seek reappointment after his current two-year term ends at the end of the year. Dawson served as president of the IGF for the last 10 years and led the federation’s efforts to bring golf back to the Games in 2016.
England’s Zena Wooldridge appointed as World Squash Federation President
Zena Wooldridge has been elected as the new World Squash Federation (WSF) President following the WSF’s 2020 Annual General Meeting.
- Wooldridge, from England, will become the 10th WSF President to serve since the Federation’s inception in 1967 and the second female.
- She replaces outgoing President Jacques Fontaine, from France, who was elected President in 2016.
- Before this, Wooldridge served as President of the European Squash Federation between 2013-2019
Veteran Congress Leader Ram Lal Rahi passes away
Veteran Congress leader and former Union minister Ram Lal Rahi died at a hospital in Uttar Pradesh’s Sitapur district. He was 86.
- In his long political career, Rahi was elected four times from the Misrikh Lok Sabha seat and twice from the Hargaon seat, where the incumbent BJP MLA is his son Suresh Rahi.
- He served as the minister of state for Home Affairs in the Narsimha Rao government in the nineties.
Dance Pioneer And Padma Shri Awardee Astad Deboo passes away
Astad Deboo, the pioneer of contemporary dance in India, and a recipient of the prestigious Padma Shri and Sangeet Natak Akademi awards, passed away after a brief illness. He was 73.
- Deboo trained in Kathak as well as Kathakali and went on to combine the two classical dance forms to create a unique fusion dance form, earning the tag of ‘pioneer of modern dance in India’.
- Throughout his long and illustrious career, he worked with various prominent performers such as Pina Bausch, Alison Becker Chase and Pink Floyd, and performed in many parts of the world.
- He was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1996 and Padma Shri in 2007.
International Mountain Day
In order to raise awareness of the need to protect mountains and its biodiversity, International Mountain Day is observed on December 11.
- The theme for International Mountain Day 2020 is mountain biodiversity. This theme highlights the need to address the threats mountain biodiversity face.
UNICEF Foundation Day is celebrated every year on December 11 ever since the United Nations General Assembly created UNICEF on the same day back in 1946.
- The programme was initiated to provide supplies, assistance and to improve the health, nutrition, education, and general welfare of children after World War II.