Daily Current Affairs 11 October 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank partners with Apollo Hospitals for holistic healthcare solution
HDFC Bank and Apollo Hospitals have joined hands to launch The HealthyLife Programme, a holistic healthcare solution which makes healthy living accessible and affordable on Apollo’s digital platform, Apollo 24|7.
- The programme is created exclusively for HDFC Bank customers who will get round the clock access to emergency Apollo Doctor at No Cost on Apollo 24|7 along with a plethora of benefits such as choice of payment options and ease of finance for treatments at all Apollo Hospitals.
LIC Housing launches ‘Project RED’ to improve efficiencies
LIC Housing Finance Ltd(LICHFL) launched “Project RED” (Reimagining Excellence through Digital transformation) to improve efficiencies at every level of the organisation.
- Project RED aims to create value across the entire spectrum of stakeholders that includes employees, shareholders, business associates, existing and potential customers of LICHFL.
- The project will be implemented over next 21 months and the housing finance company has appointed Boston Consulting Group (BCG) as its consultant for the project.
- It will be setting up a high-level project implementation group which will approve and monitor capacity building plans.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Infosys to acquire Blue Acorn iCi for up to USD 125 million
IT services major Infosys said it has inked a pact to acquire Blue Acorn iCi, a digital customer experience, commerce and analytics services provider, for up to $125 million (about Rs 915 crore).
- The move further strengthens Infosys’ end-to-end customer experience offerings and demonstrates its continued commitment to help clients navigate their digital transformation journey.
Manoj Kumar Appointed Chairman and Managing Director of Western Coalfields Ltd
Manoj Kumar has been appointed as the chairman and managing director of the Western Coalfields Limited (WCL), according to a personnel ministry order issued.
- Kumar is presently working as the director (technical) in the WCL. He has been appointed to the post of CMD of the WCL till the date of his superannuation January 31, 2024.
Ajinkya Rahane signed as brand ambassador of Hudle
Indian batsman Ajinkya Rahane has been appointed as the brand ambassador and advisor of Hudle, a Delhi-based sports tech & events startup.
- Apart from being the face of the brand, he will also be able to guide the team with strategic inputs through his wealth of experience in professional sport.
Uday Shankar steps down as president of Walt Disney Company India
Uday Shankar, president of Walt Disney Company APAC and chairman, Star & Disney India, has decided to step down to pursue entrepreneurial endeavors. The resignations will be effective as of December 31,2020.
- However, he will remain with Disney’s direct-to-consumer and international segment through the end of 2020 to help find his replacement and ensure a smooth transition.
- Previously, he was president of 21st Century Fox for Asia and the chairman & CEO of Star India.
Sarah Hall becomes first writer to win BBC National Short Story Award twice
Sarah Hall has become the first writer to win the BBC national short story award twice, with judges describing her as a virtuoso of the form.
- Hall, who previously took the £15,000 prize in 2013, won the annual competition again for The Grotesques, a “timeless and unsettling” story that explores privilege, inequality and mother-daughter relationships in a university town.
- The prize, which is supported by Cambridge University, is initially judged blind.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Assam CM launches Kisan Rath Mobile App to facilitate sale of agriculture products
Assam Chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched the Kisan Rath (fruits and vegetables) mobile application to facilitate timely selling of agriculture products by promoting buyer-seller network in a programme held at the Assam Administrative Staff College.
- The app interconnects online more than 10,000 farmers, 50 farmer producer organizations and 1,000 verified agricultural traders.
- The application was initially released by the Government of India and has been customized by NIC Assam to suit the requirements of the state
TNPL Spinner Prasanth Rajesh passes away
Tamil Nadu Premier League (TNPL) spinner Prasanth Rajesh (MP Rajesh) has passed away due to a heart attack. He was 35.
- Prasanth Rajesh, who starred in TNPL in 2018, took 3 vital wickets to help his team LYCA Kovai Kings beat IDream Karaikudi Kaalai by five runs in the Super Over match at the Indian Cement Company Ground in Tirunelveli.
- Prasanth Rajesh played alongside Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) star T Natarajan in the match.
Ganga River Dolphin Day
India celebrates October 5 every year as the ‘Ganga River Dolphin Day’ as this day Ganga Dolphins were declared national aquatic animals in 2010.
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) launched Dolphin-based ecotourism programme, including Dolphin safari, at six sites in three states Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal along the country’s national river on the occasion of the ‘Ganga River Dolphin Day’
- The other five sites, which witnessed multiple activities around Dolphin-based ecotourism, include Brijghat, Prayagraj and Varanasi in UP; Kahalgaon in Bihar and Bandel in West Bengal.