Daily Current Affairs 12 April 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Himachal Pradesh launches project Sanjeevani to empower dairy farmers
Himachal Pradesh’s economy is largely banking on agriculture and animal husbandry. With a livestock population of about 4.41 million, their care is an essential part of every rural household.
- For them, the state government has launched a project named Sanjeevani that helps in empowering the livelihood of small dairy farmers and livestock owners.For this a collaboration was signed by the Animal Husbandry Department with Bharat Financial Inclusion Ltd. (BFIL), a subsidiary of IndusInd Bank.
- It will enhance the lives of farmers by providing them convenient and quality care for livestock at their doorsteps. Telemedicine and technology will help reducing the turnaround time of services and also arrest outbreaks to one extent.
Andhra Pradesh tops State Energy Efficiency Index-2022
Aspiring to become the hub of renewable energy in India, Andhra Pradesh added another feather to its cap as the southern state topped the latest State Energy Efficiency Index (SEEI) 2022 with over 60 points. The SEEI 2022 was released by the Union Power Minister RK Singh recently.
- Apart from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Rajasthan and Telangana are also amongst the top 5 states in terms of energy efficiency. AP scored 77.5 points in SEEI-2022. The state has improved by 53 per cent compared to its SEEI 2020 score of 50.5.
Armed Forces form panel to examine disability pension
The Indian Armed Forces have set up an inter-services panel chaired by the Army’s Adjutant General (AG) to examine different aspects of disability pension to their personnel.
- This comes after the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) released a report last month which questioned the rise of disability pensions of retired officers, especially of medical officers.
- Those with 100 per cent disability receive 30 per cent of their last salary, while lower ratings receive a proportionally reduced amount.However, individuals with less than 20 per cent disability do not qualify for any benefits. Medical boards are responsible for grading the percentage of disability.
T.N. Governor gives assent to Bill banning online gambling
The Tamil Nadu government notified the Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Online Gambling and Regulation of Online Games Bill, after state governor RN Ravi gave his assent to the Bill.
- Pending for several months, the law was published in the Government Gazette, following the assent from Governor RN Ravi.
- The State Assembly condemned his comments and passed a resolution urging the President and Union Government to create a definite time period for Governors to provide assent to Bills passed by the Legislative Assembly.
EAM S.Jaishankar launches ‘Tulsi Ghat Restoration Project’ in Uganda
During his three-day visit to Uganda’s Kampala, External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar launched the ‘Tulsi Ghat Restoration Project’ in Varanasi. He commended the Overseas Friends of BJP-Uganda for their efforts to enhance the aesthetic appeal of the oldest inhabited city in the world.
- Uganda has been selected to chair the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) for the period of 2022 to 2025 on behalf of Africa. The chairmanship of the movement rotates every three years during summit conferences and is assisted by both the previous and incoming chairs, representing the movement’s past, present, and future.
BANKING & FINANCE
Asian Development Bank commits Rs 150 Crore to Tata Power Delhi
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has announced its plans to invest in non-convertible debentures valued at Rs 150 crore in Tata Power Delhi Distribution Ltd (TPDDL).
- The investment aims to improve Delhi’s power distribution through grid enhancements. Additionally, ADB has also approved a grant of USD 2 million to assist in the acquisition and integration of a pilot battery energy storage system (BESS).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IMF cuts India’s FY24 GDP forecast to 5.9%
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) cut India’s GDP growth forecast for the financial year 2023-24 by 20 basis points to 5.9 percent.
- The latest forecast is lower than the Reserve Bank of India’s projection of 6.4 per cent. But, India will continue to be the fastest-growing economy in the world.
- The IMF expects India’s retail inflation to be at 4.9% in FY24 and 4.4% in FY25.In its World Economic Outlook report, the IMF also lowered the forecast for India for 2024-25 fiscal to 6.3 per cent from the 6.8 per cent it had predicted in January this year.
Gold imports dip 30% to $31.8 billion in April-February 2023
India’s gold imports have declined by about 30% to $31.8 billion during April-February 2023, compared to the same period in the previous year, according to data from the country’s commerce ministry.
- The decline in gold imports is attributed to several factors, including high customs duty and global economic uncertainties.
- The negative trade balance is a cause for concern for the Indian economy, which is heavily dependent on imports of goods and services.
Nilesh Sambare honored with the ‘Maratha Udyog Ratna 2023’ by Maratha Entrepreneurs Development and Guidance Institute Maharashtra State
Nilesh Bhagwan Sambre, the founder of Jijau Educational and Social Foundation, was recently honored with the “Maratha Udyog Ratna” award at the “Maratha Entrepreneurs Conference 2023”.
- The conference was organized by the “Maratha Entrepreneurs Development and Guidance Institute Maharashtra State”. Nilesh Sambre received the award for his noteworthy achievements in the industry sector and his dedicated work in remote areas like Palghar.
- Nilesh Bhagwan Sambre, who is also known as Appa, received the award from prominent entrepreneurs from Maharashtra, including Suresh Haware, Purushottam Khedekar, Nirmalkumar Deshmukh, Dr. Sachin Bhadane, and Vijay Ghogare.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
UIDAI – IIT Bombay join hands to develop touchless biometric capture system
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has joined hands with Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT-Bombay) to develop a robust touchless biometric capture system for easier usage by people anytime, anywhere.
- As part of the memorandum of understanding, UIDAI and IIT Bombay will carry out joint research to build a mobile capture system for fingerprints along with liveness model integrated with the capture system.
- The touchless biometric capture system, once developed and operational, will allow fingerprint authentication from home alike face authentication.