Daily Current Affairs 12 December 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
ASI identified 138 monuments as “Must See Monuments”
The ASI has identified 138 monuments as “Must See Monuments”, Minister of State for Culture and Tourism Prahlad Patel informed Parliament.
- There are 38 World Heritage Sites in India, out of which 22 cultural sites including monuments/ buildings and caves are under the protection of the ASI.
Mongla and Chattogram declared as Ports of Call under the “Coastal Shipping Agreement” between India and Bangladesh
Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) and Chemical & Fertilizers Shri Mansukh Mandaviya informed that the Port of Mongla is declared as Port of Call under Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade (PIWT&T) and Chattogram is not part of PIWT&T.
- Mongla and Chattogram (Ports in Bangladesh) are declared as Ports of Call under the “Coastal Shipping Agreement” between India and Bangladesh.
National award for outstanding services in field of Prevention of Alcoholism and Drug abuse
Department of Social Justice and Empowerment has started the scheme of National award for outstanding services in the field of Prevention of Alcoholism and Drug abuse.
- The national award will be presented to the awardees on the occasion of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on 26th of June 2020.
Andhra cabinet approves Disha Act providing for harsher punishments for crimes against women
Andhra Pradesh Cabinet under Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy approved the enactment of the Andhra Pradesh Criminal Law (Amendment) Act also known as the Disha Act that provides for harsher punishments, including death sentence, to those guilty of heinous crimes against women.
- The cabinet also approved the Andhra Pradesh Special Court for Specified Offences against Women and Children Act 2019,decided to set up a new department to bring village and ward volunteers.
- The Cabinet approved to make Telugu as a mandatory subject in all the schools in the state
Haryana govt distributed 101 Pashu Kisan Credit Cards in Bhiwani
The First Pashu Kisan credit cards in India were distributed to 101 animal farmers in Bhiwani in Haryana. Haryana Government has set a target to issue 10 lakh Pashu Kisan Credit cards by March 2021.
- Under the Scheme, banks give Rs 40783 for a cow and Rs 60249 for a buffalo. The credit amount for goat and sheep each is Rs 4063. In the case of a pig, it is Rs 16337 per pig. For Hens, it is Rs 720 per layer and Rs 161 per broiler hen.
e-yAna’ taxi service introduced in Hyderabad to reduce carbon footprints
In a bid to combat pollution in the city, electric autos and bikes service ‘e-yAna’ has been introduced in Hyderabad which is a True Green First Exclusive Fleet Service of the city launched to reduce the carbon footprint.
7 Indian Cities On List Of World’s Most Popular City Destinations In 2019
Global market research company Euromonitor International has published a list of Top 100 City Destinations for 2019. Seven Indian cities, including the capital Delhi, have made it to the top 100 city Destinations ranking this year.
Notably, the number 1 spot has been grabbed by Hong Kong while New York City is the most popular American destination on the 2019 ranking list.
Indian Cities in top 100 City Destinations in 2019
Delhi – 11th, Mumbai – 14th, Agra – 26th, Jaipur – 34th,Chennai – 36th, Kolkata – 74th, Bengaluru – 100th.
Maha has most employable talent, followed by TN, UP: Study
According to the seventh edition of the India Skills Report 2020, Maharashtra topped the list of states with the highest employable talent, followed by Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh while Mumbai, Hyderabad and Pune stood out as the most employable cities.
- The report puts Mumbai on top, closely followed by Hyderabad.
- Bengaluru, New Delhi, Pune, Lucknow and Chennai have maintained their presence in the top 10 list over the past 6 years.
India, Russia commence joint tri-services exercise ‘INDRA 2019’
India and Russia kicked off the second edition of their bilateral tri-service exercise, designated INDRA – 2019, at Babina town of Uttar Pradesh.
- The tri-services exercise, which will be simultaneously conducted in Babina, Goa, and Pune, will help strengthen mutual confidence, interoperability and sharing of best practices between the armed forces of the two countries.
ISRO launches PSLV-C48 carrying earth observation satellite from Sriharikota
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched a radar imaging earth observation satellite and nine customer satellites by PSLV-C48 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre. This is the 50th successful mission of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- The radar imaging satellite — RISAT-2BR1 — weighing about 628 kg along with all nine customer satellites, has been placed in their designated orbits.
- The satellite will be used in applications such as agriculture, forestry and disaster management support.
- PSLV-C48 also carried nine customer satellites including one from Israel, one from Italy, one from Japan and six from the US as “co-passengers”.
- This was the 75th launch vehicle mission from Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota, and 37th launch from the FLP (First Launch Pad).
US shuts down World Trade Organization appeals court
Global commerce lost its ultimate umpire, as the terms of two of the last three judges on the World Trade Organization’s appellate body ended.
- The United States, under a president who favours a go-it-alone approach to economics and diplomacy, appears to prefer it that way.
World’s first fully electric commercial plane takes flight in Canada
The world’s first-ever fully electric commercial aircraft retrofitted with a 750 horsepower all-electric magni500 propulsion system took its inaugural test flight from the Canadian city of Vancouver and flew for 15 minutes.
- The flight marks the start of the third aviation age — “the electric age”.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Maruti Suzuki ties up with Federal Bank for dealer and retail car financing
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd (MSIL) has joined hands with Federal Bank to provide dealer finance and customised auto retail financing solutions to customers.
Dell Technologies, UNESCO tie up to boost quality of education
Dell Technologies announced a new partnership with UNESCO MGIEP (Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace) to enable school teachers adopt technology in classrooms by using ICT tools.
- The information and communication technology (ICT) tools have been developed by Dell Aarambh and FramerSpace platform.
Kohli becomes first Indian batsman to score 1,000 T20I runs on home soil
Skipper Virat Kohli became the first Indian batsman to score 1,000 T20I runs on home soil. He achieved the feat against West Indies in the ongoing third and final T20I of the three-match series.
Rohit Sharma becomes first Indian to smash 400 sixes in international cricket
Rohit Sharma became the first Indian batsman to smash 400 sixes in international cricket. He achieved the feat against West Indies in the ongoing third and final T20I of the three-match series at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
- Only Shahid Afridi and Chris Gayle have hit more sixes than Rohit in international cricket.
Pepsi India announces Salman Khan as brand ambassador
Pepsi India has announced Salman Khan as the brand ambassador of Pepsi. The year 2020 will see brand Pepsi create a 360-degree campaign that will reflect the self-confidence of today’s youth in a manner that is as effortlessly cool as Salman
Greta Thunberg, 16, named Time’s Person of the Year
Swedish climate change activist Greta Thunberg was named Time Magazine’s person of the year 2019, becoming the youngest person ever to be the recipient of the title.
- The teen activist first rose to prominence in 2018 when she began protesting outside the Swedish Parliament under the campaign “School Strike for Climate”.
Former US Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker passes away
Paul Volcker, the former head of the US central bank who was known for fighting inflation, has passed away at the age of 92.
- Volcker was known as a towering Fed chairman – both for his impressive height (he stood 6 feet 7 inches) and also for confronting difficult economic circumstances.
International Universal Health Coverage Day
Universal Health Coverage Day, commemorated each 12 December, is the anniversary of the first unanimous United Nations resolution calling for countries to provide affordable, quality health care to every person, everywhere.
- The theme for this year’s celebration is “Keep the promise”, a reference to the UN High-Level Meeting on Universal Health Coverage that took place earlier this year.