Daily Current Affairs 12 December 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
ITBP names 6,000-metre height mountain in Eastern as ‘Norbu Wangdu Peak’
Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and the Ladakh Police successfully completed the scaling of two unnamed 6,000-metre height mountains in Eastern Ladakh.
- One of the mountains was named ‘Norbu Wangdu peak’ as it was dedicated to an ITBP mountaineer Nurbu Wangdu.
- ITBP Inspector General Lhari Dorjee Lhatoo along with members of North-West Frontier of the force’s Mountaineering Expedition ‘Shikhar’, and the Ladakh Police successfully scaled the twin unnamed peaks – 6,250 metre and 6,099 metre – on Eastern Ladakh. The ITBP named 6,250 metre as Norbu Wangdu Peak.
MoD signs MoU with IITE, Gandhinagar for training of 800 Sainik School teachers
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Institute of Teacher Education (IITE) Gandhinagar to facilitate training to teachers of Sainik Schools.
- Terming the MoU as a significant step towards capacity building of teachers of Sainik Schools in terms of imparting quality education to students with Indian ethos, the Defence Secretary said it would help to enhance the brand of not only existing Sainik Schools but also 100 upcoming Schools.
- The MoU is for the period of five years commencing with effect from January 2022 under which 800 plus teachers of all Sainik Schools will be trained through courses named ‘Gurudiksha’ & ‘Pratibaddhta’.
India, UK Explore Cooperation in Outer Space Domain
India and the UK explored the possibility of cooperation in the outer space domain. The two sides exchanged views over it under the framework of India-UK Space Consultations.
- The two sides exchanged information on respective national space priorities, prospects for bilateral collaboration, and deliberations in international forums in the outer space domain.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IndiGo Signs Partnership With CSIR-IIP to Manufacture Sustainable Aviation Fuel
IndiGo has signed an agreement with Dehradun-based Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-Indian Institute of Petroleum (CSIRIIP) to manufacture and deploy sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) globally, the airliner said.
- As per global airlines body IATA, SAF is defined as “fuel that has the potential to generate lower carbon emissions than conventional kerosene on a life cycle basis”.
Divyansh Panwar Wins Both Senior And Junior Air Rifle National Titles
Former world number one Divyansh Singh Panwar shot an impressive 250 in the final to bag back-to-back men’s 10m air rifle national championship crowns at the MP Shooting academy range in Bhopal.
- Maharashtra’s Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil came second with 249.3 while Assam’s Hriday Hazarika won the bronze with a score of 228.2 in the 64th National Shooting Championship Competitions (NSCC) in Rifle events.
- The men’s 10m air rifle discipline saw a record participation of 768 athletes this time around with over 800 registering to compete.
Decorated Soldier Brig Bhupesh Singh Hada Crowned Bundi Rajput’s New King
Brigadier Bhupesh Singh Hada, a National Security Guard commander and a recipient of several army medals, was crowned the 26th ‘king of Bundi’, a nomination opposed by the royal successor family.
- The royal post was lying vacant for 11 years after Ranjit Singh, the son and successor of last king colonel Maharo Raja Bahadur Singh, passed away in January 2010 childless.
- With the head post remaining unoccupied for so long, the Hada Rajput community constituted a ‘Paag’ committee to shortlist the next king’. ‘Paag’ literally means a turban tied to the successor after the demise of its head.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ISRO, Oppo collaborate to strengthen R&D of NavIC messaging service
The Indian Space Research Organisation has signed an agreement with Chinese smart devices maker Oppo’s Indian arm to strengthen the research and development of the NavIC messaging service.
- The NavIC system provides regional navigation services covering the Indian mainland and an area up to 1,500 km beyond the Indian mainland. In addition to its primary function of providing PNT (position, navigation and timing) services, NavIC is also capable of broadcasting short messages.
- Under the agreement ISRO and Oppo India will exchange technical information of NavIC messaging services to build rapid, ready to use, end-to-end application-specific solutions by integrating NavIC messaging service with the mobile handset platform keeping in mind the need of Indian users.
India Successfully Launches Supersonic Missile Assisted Torpedo System
India successfully launched Supersonic Missile Assisted Torpedo System (SMAT) from Abdul Kalam island, formerly known as Wheeler Island, off the Odisha coast, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said.
- During the mission, the full range capability of the missile was successfully demonstrated. The system has been designed to enhance anti-submarine warfare capability far beyond the conventional range of the torpedo, the DRDO said.
- This was a textbook launch, where the entire trajectory was monitored by the electro optic telemetry system, various range radars, including the down range instrumentation and down range ships. The missile carried a torpedo, parachute delivery system and release mechanisms.