Daily Current Affairs 12 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt saved ₹56k cr through Aadhaar-enabled DBT: PM Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi at World Government Summit in Dubai said that the Union government has saved ₹56,000 crore through Aadhaar-enabled Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) of about 400 government schemes.
Rajasthan CM announces one time loan waiver of upto Rs. 50,000 for small & marginal farmers
In the budget speech, Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje announced one time loan waiver of upto Rs. 50,000 for small and marginal farmers in the state.
- She also announced free travel for people above 80 years of age and the hike in honorarium to Anganwadi workers.
Mumbai 12th Richest City Globally, New York Tops: New World Wealth Report
Mumbai, India’s financial capital is the 12th richest city in the world with a total wealth of $950 billion, according to a report by New World Wealth. The list was topped by New York as the richest city in the world.
- Total wealth refers to the private wealth held by all the individuals living in each city. It includes all their assets (property, cash, equities and business interests) less any liabilities.
World Government Summit held in Dubai
The World Government Summit kicked off in Dubai, UAE, bringing together some of the globe’s top thinkers and decision makers, as well as a few celebrity speakers.
- The three-day event, which was first held in Dubai in 2013, has been described as the largest annual government gathering in the world.
World’s first driverless transport pods unveiled in Dubai
Dubai has started testing the world’s first self-driving pods that can travel individually and can also couple together to behave like a bus. The pods, designed to travel short and medium distances at 20 kmph, can be coupled in 15 seconds and detached in 5 seconds. Each pod can carry 10 riders and last for 3 hours on single charge.
Gevora, the world’s tallest hotel, opens in Dubai
The tallest hotel in the world, the 356-metre-high Gevora Hotel, has opened in Dubai. The 75-storey structure broke the record earlier held by JW Marriott Marquis, which is also situated in Dubai, by just one metre. The Gevora Hotel has 528 rooms, four dining options, a luxury spa and a swimming pool, among other facilities.
Direct tax collections rise 19.3% in April- Jan
According to official data released, direct tax collections grew by nearly 20 per cent between April and January this year with strong growth in both corporate and personal income tax receipts. It grew by 19.3 per cent up to January 2018 to ₹6.95-lakh crore.
Eduvanz secures RBI approval to disburse loans for skill development
Eduvanz Financing – a skill development loan provider, has been granted the non-banking financial company (NBFC) licence by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to start providing loans in the multi-billion skill development sector.
- Eduvanz Financing Private Limited is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
ONGC, partners acquire 10% stake in Abu Dhabi oilfield for $600 million
ONGC Videsh Ltd and its partners have acquired a 10 per cent in a large offshore oilfield in Abu Dhabi, UAE for $600 million, the first time any Indian company has set foot in oil-rich Emirates.
Kishan Gangolli wins 13th edition of National Chess Championship for blind
Defending champion Karnataka’s Kishan Gangolli won the 13th edition of the National ‘A’ Chess Championship for the blind in Mumbai.
Ramesh Sippy to get inaugural Raj Kapoor Award
Veteran filmmaker Ramesh Sippy, who directed the classic blockbuster “Sholay” and tele-serial “Buniyaad”, would be conferred the first ‘Raj Kapoor Award for Excellence in Cinema’.
- Instituted by the Asian Centre for Entertainment Education (ACEE) with various international organisations like World Bank, UNICEF, USC Annenberg Normal Lear Cenre, Hollywood Health and Society, Cinepolis Foundation and CMS, the ‘Raj Kapoor Trophy’ will be unveiled in Mumbai on 14th February, 2018.
Veteran Odia actress Parbati Ghosh passes away
Veteran Odia actress, producer and director Parbati Ghosh has passed away after pro-longed illness. She was 85. The national award-winning actress was ailing for sometime.
Golden Globe Award Winner Musician Johann Johannsson passes away
Acclaimed Icelandic musician and Oscar-nominated composer Johann Johannsson has passed away. He was 48.
Renowned Pakistan actor Qazi Wajid passes away
Veteran actor Qazi Wajid, a pioneer of Pakistan’s radio industry, has passed away.
National Productivity Day being observed on 12 February
National Productivity Council is observing National Productivity Day on 12th February, and National Productivity Week till 18th February.
- The theme for the National Productivity Week is – Industry 4.0 Leapfrog Opportunity for India.
- AIR correspondent reports Industry 4.0 or the fourth industrial revolution as it is called, is emerging globally as a powerful force and is being called as the next industrial revolution.
- It is characterized by the increasing digitization and interconnection of products, value chains and business models.