Daily Current Affairs 12 November 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Telangana top performing state with maximum functional drinking water tap connections
Telangana has been adjudged as a ‘top-performing’ state in the country followed by Bihar and Goa for providing a high number of functional tap water connections. The latest data shows that Telangana has ensured 69.56 per cent of its households in the rural belt have access to water. According to the statistics, Since the launch of the schemes, Telangana has provided 37,82,529 new tap connections which makes it a top-performer.
- While Goa, among the small states have topped the chart by provided tap connections to 100 per cent to households after the launch of Jal Jeevan mission in August 2019.
- Andhra Pradesh has been adjudged as an under-performer, only 4.42 per cent of households in a rural area have functional tap water connections (4,23,168 taps).
Odisha launches ‘Secha Samadhan’ for farmers to provide hassle-free services
With an aim to provide hassle-free services regarding irrigation to farmers in Odisha, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched ‘Secha Samadhan’ app so that they can bring the Water Resources Department’s notice about the issues.
- The mobile app will help resolve the issues of farmers immediately and provide services in a transparent manner. Besides, the Water Resources department will be accountable to farmers who are the biggest stakeholders.
- With the ‘Secha Samadhan’ mobile app, farmers can lodge their complaints by sending the photo or video of the issues to the department. The complaint status will be sent to the farmers through SMS and quick action will be taken to address the issues.
- The CM also launched portals to provide online services for community lift irrigation projects under Biju Krushak Yojana, water allocation for industrial organizations and commercial houses.
BANKING & FINANCE
Karnataka Bank launches National Common Mobility Debit card
Karnataka Bank Ltd. launched the National Common Mobility Debit Card.This Rupay card is a contact-less debit-cum-prepaid and interoperable transport card.
- The Users can make payments without inserting the card at Point of Sale terminals.Payments can be made at toll plazas, metro transits, parking lots, retail outlets and smart cities with the help of this card.
- The card’s wallet supports small-ticket size offline payments through the value stored in it.
Edelweiss Tokio Life launches Covid Shield+: A term insurance plan with coronavirus cover
Edelweiss Tokio Life Insurance has launched India’s first individual Covid-19 life insurance product, ‘Covid Shield+’ to secure people’s dreams and aspirations from the financial impact of a Covid-19 diagnosis.
- This insurance product carries term cover for a 1-year tenure and also offers a critical illness benefit.
- The premium rates start at ₹5,329. Covid Shield+ offers a critical illness benefit of minimum ₹10 lakh post 24-hour ICU or HDU hospitalization owing to Covid-19. In addition, on diagnosis of Covid-19, the product also triggers minimum enhanced term cover worth ₹25 lakh sum assured.
MobiKwik partners Amex for ‘MobiKwik Blue American Express Card’
MobiKwik has partnered with card network American Express (Amex) to launch its first prepaid payments card with flexible credit limit.
- The homegrown fintech company becomes the first non-bank to issue cards in India.
- The MobiKwik Blue American Express Card will be linked with users’ wallet. The customer will get up to ₹1 lakh instant credit on their prepaid card, which will be underwritten by MobiKwik.
- The card provides value to the users in the form of ₹10,000 in credit limit, 1% SuperCash on purchases and 20% savings on Diwali shopping.
IRDAI sets up panel to revisit retail business of engineering tariff
Insurance sector regulator IRDAI has set up a working group to revisit product structures of engineering tariffs relevant for the retail category in the wake of continuous advancement in technology.
- The nine-member panel has been asked to revisit the product structures of the erstwhile engineering tariffs relevant for the retail category and make suitable recommendations for revising them.
- The group, headed by R Chandrasekaran, former secretary general of GI Council, has to submit report within three months.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
TCS to acquire Deutsche’s Postbank Systems AG
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) announced an agreement under which the company will acquire 100% of the shares of Postbank Systems AG (PBS) from Deutsche Bank AG.
- PBS has close to 1,500 employees and post the acquisition, they will become a part of TCS. The acquisition is expected to finalise by year end.
- The transaction is subject to customary regulatory and governmental approvals.
Mumbai Indians win 5th IPL trophy
Mumbail Indians (MI) clinched their record-extending fifth Indian Premier League (IPL) title after defeating Delhi Capitals (DC) by five wickets in the final.
- With this win, the Mumbai Indians became only the second team in IPL history to emerge as champions in two consecutive seasons.
Tamil Nadu bags ‘Best State’ award for water management
Tamil Nadu has bagged the first place in the best State (normal) category followed by Maharashtra and Rajasthan in the National Water Awards, 2019, presented by the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti, Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- The construction of 100 checkdams and anicuts, the stabilisation of the command area to the extent of 2.85 lakh hectares through ‘Kudimaramathu’ and the coverage of over 2 lakh hectares through micro-irrigation are among the factors for the recognition.
- Under the best district category in the south zone, Vellore and Karur were awarded the first and second spots respectively in the sub-category of revival of river. Perambalur came second in the water conservation category.
- The Sasthavinathur village panchayat, Thoothukudi, stood first in the water conservation category. The Madurai Municipal Corporation was awarded the first place in the best urban local body category.
- Under the Best Research/Innovation/adaptation of New Technology for Water Conservation category, Hari Kuppuswamy, ICAR-Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Coimbatore, T Pradeep, IIT Chennai and Va Tech Wabag Limited, Sunnambu Kolathur, Chennai have bagged the first three places.
- Under the Best Water Warrior category in South Zone, Manikandan, Coordinator, Kovai Kulangal Pathukappu Amaippu, Coimbatore and Professor Sakthinathan Ganapathy Pandian, CWG Campus, Anna University have won the top two places.
- Indira Gandhi Government High School, Katterikuppam, Puducherry has been chosen for first prize in the Best School category.
Azim Premji tops EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy list 2020
With a donation of ₹7,904 crore, Azim Premji, the founder-chairman of Wipro, topped the list of philanthropists in India for 2020. He donated ₹22 crore per day.
- According to EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020, HCL Technologies’ Shiv Nadar came second in the list. Nadar donated ₹795 crore for charitable causes. Mukesh Ambani, chairman and managing director of Reliance Industries Ltd and Asia’s richest man, maintained the third spot by donating ₹458 crore.
- With a donation of ₹276 crore, Kumar Mangalam Birla & family ranked fourth in EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020. The fifth position was occupied by the founder and chairman of Vedanta, Anil Agarwal & family who donated ₹215 crore.
Writer Ruskin Bond conferred with Tata Literature Lifetime Achievement Award 2020
Noted author Ruskin Bond was presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 11th Times Lit Fest for his outstanding contribution in the field of literature.
- Apart from this, renowned poet, lyricist and screenwriter Javed Akhtar has been named as the Poet Laureate of the Tata Literature Live! The Mumbai LitFest 2020.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China launches ‘the world’s first 6G experimental satellite’
China successfully launched the world’s first 6G experimental satellite. The satellite was launched into the orbit aboard a single rocket along with 12 other satellites using a single Long March 6 rocket that took off from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi province.
- The 6G satellite weighs approximately 70kg and has been named after its co-developer, the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC), which worked with Chengdu Guoxing Aerospace Technology and Beijing MinoSpace Technology on the project. The technology is expected to be over 100 times faster than 5G.
- This was the 351st rocket of China’s indigenously developed Long March series.
Former Indian football player Satyajit Ghosh passes away
Former India and Mohun Bagan defender Satyajit Ghosh died of cardiac arrest at his home town at Bandel. He was 62.
- Ghosh represented India in the 1985 Nehru Cup in then Cochin in the team coached by Yugoslovian Milovan Ciric.
- After starting his career with Railway FC in 1980, Ghosh switched to Mohun Bagan from the next season and formed the core of the club’s backline along with star Indian defender Subrata Bhattacharya.
- Ghosh made a return to Mohun Bagan in 1989 and remained there till 1993, when he called time on his career.
Veteran author & Gujarati columnist Father Carlos Gonzalez Valles SJ passes away
Veteran author and Gujarati columnist of Father Carlos Gonzalez Valles SJ, popularly known as Father Valles passed away. He was 95 and breathed his last in Spain.
- A Jesuit priest born in Spain, he was a Mathematics teacher in Gujarat. He wrote extensively in Gujarati, English and Spanish.
- He translated many mathematical concepts into Gujarati and coined terms for them.
‘Scooby-Doo’ co-creator Ken Spears passes away
Ken Spears, co-creator of the beloved animated series Scooby-Doo, passed away in Brea, California . He was 82.
- Spears, a four-time Daytime Emmy nominee also the co-founder of television animation production company, Ruby-Spears Productions, along with the late Joe Ruby.
- Together, Spears and Ruby created Scooby-Doo, Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, and Jabberjaw, among other programs.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Nepal President unveils pictorial anthology on Mahatma Gandhi
A pictorial anthology on Mahatma Gandhi in the Nepali language was released by President Bidya Devi Bhandari to mark his 151st birth anniversary and bring the Nepalese youth closer to the revered global peace icon.
- The book titled Maile Bujheko Gandhi or the Gandhi as I understood, was released at a special function at Rashtrapati Bhawan in Kathmandu in the presence of Ambassador of India to Nepal, Vinay Mohan Kwatra.
- The book has been published by the Embassy of India along with the B P Koirala India-Nepal Foundation to “cherish the values of the Mahatma’s universal teachings with our Nepali friends.
HarperCollins to publish New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern’s biography
A biography of New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, who has recently been re-elected in a landslide victory, will be published next year which will explore the influences that have shaped her and made her a leader with a different way of doing things.
- HarperCollins Publishers India has announced the acquisition of book, which will be authored by Supriya Vani and Carl A Harte.
- The book examines the prime minister of New Zealand through the authors’ interviews with her, her multitude of public statements and speeches, and through the words of those who know her.
“How to Be a Writer”, book by Ruskin Bond released
HarperCollins Children’s Books announces the release of Ruskin Bond’s new book “How To Be A Writer”, which is an exclusive glimpse into the writing credo of Ruskin Bond.
- Bond is an author who has had an incredibly successful writing career spanning over 70 years.
Maharashtra Governor releases former Minister Rajendra Darda’s book ‘Majhi Bhint‘
Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari released the book ”Majhi Bhint” (My Wall) authored by former Maharashtra minister of education Rajendra Darda at Raj Bhavan.
- The book is a compilation of Darda”s selected Facebook posts pertaining to a range of issues written over the last four years.