Daily Current Affairs 12 November 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Modi flagged off first ‘Vande Bharat’ train in South India
Prime Minister Narendra Modi flags off south India’s first Vande Bharat Express train, connecting Mysuru and Chennai via Bengaluru, at KSR Railway Station in Bengaluru.
- This is the fifth Vande Bharat Express train in the country and it will enhance connectivity between Chennai, Bengaluru and Mysuru.
- The Prime Minister also flagged off the ‘Bharat Gaurav Kashi Darshan’ train. Under the ‘Bharat Gaurav’ train policy of Railways, the train is operated by Karnataka’s Muzrai Department.
PM Modi to gift Himachal Pradesh artifact to the G20 leaders in Bali summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi gifted traditional Himachali artifacts, including Chamba rumal, Kangra miniature paintings, Kinnauri shawl, Himachali Mukhate, Kullu shawl, Kanal brass set, to world leaders during the G20 summit in Indonesia’s Bali.
- The move is expected to boost the global spread of Himachal Pradesh’s tourism and handicrafts.
- Prime Minister also unveiled the logo, theme, and website for India’s Presidency of the G20.India’s G20 logo juxtaposes planet Earth with Lotus and the theme is “Vasudhaiv Kutumbakam”.
- The country is all set to assume the presidency of the grouping of the world’s 20 largest economies on 1st December 2022.
Saudi Arabia Commits $2.5 bn for Middle East Green Initiative
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz announced that the kingdom will commit $2.5bn for the Middle East Green Initiative (MGI) over the next 10 years.
- The second edition of the MGI summit started in conjunction with the COP27 conference being held in Egypt’s Sharm El Sheikh. It was launched by the Crown Prince last year as part of efforts to reduce regional carbon emissions.
- The summit lays out a clear plan for regional climate action, assuring coordinated efforts and a cohesive approach to address climate change.
BANKING & FINANCE
IMF to provide $4.5 bn loan for Bangladesh to combat economic crisis
Bangladesh and the IMF signed a preliminary deal under which the global lender will offer a USD 4.5 billion assistance package to help stabilise the country’s economy and protect vulnerable people.
- After months of negotiations, the IMF reached an accord with Bangladeshi authorities.Up until December 2026, the money will be distributed in seven parts.
- After Sri Lanka and Pakistan, Bangladesh is the third country in South Asia to receive a rescue package from the IMF to help it cope with the steep increase in food and energy prices brought on by the coronavirus pandemic and the worldwide inflation brought on by the Russia-Ukraine war.
India to host Women’s World Boxing Championships in 2023
India will host the women’s world boxing championships in 2023 in New Delhi, two years after the country was stripped of the hosting rights of men’s event for not paying the requisite fee to the global governing body.
- India has never conducted the men’s world championship but it will be the third time that the elite women’s competition will be held in the country having conducted the championships in 2006 and 2018 in New Delhi.
India’s Virat Kohli becomes first batter to score 4000 runs in T20Is
India’s premier batsman Virat Kohli became the first batter in history to score 4000 runs in T20 Internationals. Kohli reached the milestone against England in the second semi-final of the T20 World Cup 2022 in Adelaide.
- Kohli, remarkably, raced to the magnificent milestone while batting at an average of 53.34. He is the only batter in the shortest format to average over 50 and reached the milestone in 115 matches.
- His achievement became even more special as he played the role of a sheet anchor in the T20 World Cup 2022 semi-finals vs England after India were put into bat.
Holger Rune won men’s singles 2022 Paris Masters title
19-year-old Holger Rune picked up the biggest win of his career when he defeated 21-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic in the final of Paris Masters.
- Rune won his maiden Masters 1000 title, scripting a stunning comeback from one set down against the Serb in a hard-fought final.
- Holger Rune also became the first Danish player to be ranked in top 10 in men’s singles charts as the Paris Masters title came as icing on the cake following a consistent few weeks on the tour.
Aruna Miller, 1st ever Indian-American to hold office in Maryland
Aruna Miller wrote history when she became the first Indian-American politician to win the campaign for lieutenant governor in Maryland, a state that borders the US capital.
- Former Maryland House delegate Miller, 58, ran for lieutenant governor alongside Wes Moore, the incoming Democratic governor.
- Aruna Miller represented District 15 in the Maryland House of Delegates from 2010 to 2018. She ran for Congress in 2018 in Maryland’s 6th Congressional District and secured the second spot among eight candidates. She is married to Dave Miller and they have three daughters. Aruna Miller resides in Montgomery County with her family.
Arfa Khanum Sherwani to Receive Kuldip Nayar Patrakarita Samman Award for 2022
The Gandhi Peace Foundation announced the award of its prestigious Kuldip Nayar Patrakarita Samman for 2022 to The Wire’s senior editor Arfa Khanum Sherwani.
- The award honours the legacy of journalist, author and human rights activist Kuldip Nayar and is awarded to journalists working in Indian languages contributing to democratic values and independent media.
Prominent Indian physician Dr Subhash Babu to be awarded Bailey K. Ashford Medal
Prominent Indian physician and scientist Dr Subhash Babu has been conferred the prestigious 2022 Bailey K. Ashford Medal, and 2022 Fellow of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (FASTMH) award for his exemplary research work and contribution in tropical medicine.
- The medal is presented annually to one or more mid-career researchers for distinguished work in tropical medicine by the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH), the largest scientific organization in tropical medicine in the world.
- According to an official statement from ASTMH, Dr. Subash Babu is the first Indian to receive both the Bailey K. Ashford medal and the FASTMH award. He is the Scientific Director of the ICER (International Centre for Excellence in Research)-India Programme. He is a pioneer in research on helminth infections and tuberculosis.