Daily Current Affairs 12 October 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India extends over 60 million dollar line of credit to Comoros for Energy and Maritime Defence Cooperation
India has said, it will extend a Line of Credit of over 60 million US Dollars to Comoros in the field of energy and maritime defence cooperation.
- India will extend a Line of Credit of over 41.6 million US Dollars for setting up of 18 MW Power Plant in Moroni and another 20 million US Dollars for the procurement of High-Speed Interceptor Boats.
Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu conferred highest Civilian Honour of Comoros
Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu was conferred the highest Civilian Honour of Comoros — The Order of the Green Crescent. The honour was conferred by the President of the Union of Comoros Azali Assoumani in Moroni, the capital city of Comoros.
‘mHariyali Mobile App’ and ‘Website for Environment Protection’ launched
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has launched the mobile app, “mHariyali”. The app is aimed to encourage Public engagement in planting trees and other such Green drives.
- People can now upload information/photos of any plantation done by them, which is linked to app and will be displayed on the website www.epgc.gov.in. The App provides for automatic geo-tagging of plants.
India joins WEF’s G20 Global Smart Cities Alliance on technology Governance
India has joined the league of 15 of the world’s leading city networks and technology governance organisations that will work towards advancing the responsible and ethical use of smart city technologies.
- The G20 Global Smart Cities Alliance on Technology Governance will create global norms and policy standards for the use of connected devices in public spaces, a World Economic Forum (WEF) release said.
Southern Western Railway installs public refrigerator at Hubli Junction to avoid wastage of food
In a first of its kind, the Southern Western Railway has installed the public refrigerator at Hubli Junction in Karnataka to avoid the wastage of food. In this fridge, anyone can keep the extra food, so that instead of being waste it can be used by needy or poor people.
- The fridge is six-foot-tall with five racks in which cooked meal and fruits and vegetables will be kept. In this fridge, non-vegetarian food is not allowed to keep.
2nd edition of India-Bangladesh CORPAT begins
The 2nd edition of Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) of the navies of India and Bangladesh has begun in Northern Bay of Bengal.
- The exercise aims at development of mutual communication and sharing of best practices between the two navies.
1st India Sports Summit held in New Delhi
Minister of State for Youth and Sports Kiren Rijiju inagurated 1st India Sports Summit 2019 in New Delhi. He also underlined the need to induce a national sporting culture with the aim to make India a sporting powerhouse at the event.
- He also announced that a ‘Fit India’ mission office would be set up, with the help of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), to promote the aforementioned goals.
India-China 2nd Informal Summit begins in Tamil Nadu
The 2nd “India-China Informal Summit” between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and China’s President Xi Jinping begins at Mamallapuram, Tamil Nadu.
- The 1st summit took place in Wuhan in the wake of the Doklam crisis in April, 2018.
An eel like the bhujia: Scientists in Kerala discover new subterranean fish species
A research team led by Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (Kufos) here has discovered a unique species of miniature well-dwelling subterranean fish from Kozhikode. The new species which has been named ‘Pangio bhujia’ is the first species of eel-loach in the world that has been discovered to be living in subterranean environments.
WHO launches first World report on vision
More than 1 billion people worldwide are living with vision impairment because they do not get the care they need for conditions like short and far sightedness, glaucoma and cataract, according to the first World report on vision issued by the World Health Organization.
- The report, launched ahead of World Sight Day on 10 October, found that ageing populations, changing lifestyles and limited access to eye care, particularly in low- and middle-income countries, are among the main drivers of the rising numbers of people living with vision impairment.
Singapore to become first country to ban ads for very sugary drinks
Singapore will become the first country in the world to ban ads for the most unhealthy sugary drinks in its latest move to combat rising diabetes rates.
- Products deemed “less healthy” must now display labels grading their nutritional and sugar content, with those considered to be most unhealthy banned from appearing in ads across all media platforms, including broadcast, print and online channels.
World’s Most Powerful Passports: India On 82nd Position, Lets You Travel 59 Countries
The Indian passport has dropped a rank to end at 82 in the latest global passport Index released by Henley & Partners.
- The Henley Passport Index measures the strength of all the passports around the world, based on how many destinations can be accessed by the passport-holders of a specific country, without pre-departure visa application.
- Japan is the world’s highest-ranked passport in 2019, with a score of 189, enabling Japanese passport holders to visit 190 countries with no prior visa. Singapore is second.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI slaps fine on Balancehero, Toyota Financial
The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a monetary penalty of ₹12.88 lakh on Prepaid Payment Instrument (PPI) issuer Balancehero India Private and ₹5 lakh on Toyota Financial Services India.
Credit Saison India gets NBFC licence from RBI
Credit Saison India, the domestic subsidiary of Japanese financial services leader Credit Saison, has received a non-banking financial company (NBFC) licence from the Reserve Bank of India.
Ashleigh Barty wins ‘The Don’ Award
Ashleigh Barty has been awarded Australian sport’s highest individual honour ‘The Don’ Award at the annual Sport Australia Hall of Fame.
- Barty was the first Australian to win the French Open in 46 years and is now aiming to become the first Australian woman to end the season with the No.1 ranking since Margaret Court in 1973.
Mastercard India appoints Vikas Varma as COO
Payment technology major Mastercard India has elevated Vikas Varma to the position of chief operating officer.
Forbes India Rich List 2019: Mukesh Ambani retains top position for 12th straight year
Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) Chairman Mukesh Ambani has once again bagged the number one spot with $51.4 billion net worth on Forbes’ list of richest Indians for the year 2019. Infrastructure tycoon Gautam Adani came a close second as he jumped 8 spots on the list with a net worth of $15.7 billion.
- This is the 12th consecutive year that Ambani has topped the list despite being a ‘challenging year’ for the Indian economy, according to the American business magazine.
Oscar nominated actor Robert Forster dies at 78
American Actor Robert Forster has passed away at the age of 78 due to brain cancer. The actor was nominated for an Oscar for Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Jackie Brown’ and appeared in more than 100 films.
World Egg Day
World Egg Day falls on the second Friday of October every year, when more than 40 countries around the world celebrate the food marvel that is The Incredible Egg!. This year is was observed on 11th October.
- This year’s theme is “Eat your egg today and every day”.
World Migratory Bird Day
World Migratory Bird Day is observed on 12 October every year. It is an annual awareness-raising campaign highlighting the need for the conservation of migratory birds and their habitats. It has a global outreach and is an effective tool to help raise global awareness of the threats faced by migratory birds.
- This year’s theme is “Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution!”.