Daily Current Affairs 12 October 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Kerala govt sets up welfare board for farmers
In a first in the country, the Kerala government has decided to form a Welfare Fund Board for the uplift of farmers in the state.
- The state cabinet decided to set up the board to be known as ‘Kerala Karshaka Kshemanidhi Board’.
- For the farmers to become a member of the Board, they need to pay Rs 100 as registration fee and a monthly fee of Rs 100.The government will provide an equivalent share of upto Rs 250 to the members of the Welfare Fund.
- The Board members are entitled to personal pension, family pension, sickness benefit, disability benefit, medical assistance, marriage and maternity allowance, education assistance and posthumous benefits.
PM Modi launches scheme to distribute property cards under Svamitva scheme
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a scheme to distribute property cards under the Svamitva scheme through video conference.
- 100,000 beneficiaries from Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh have been handed over the legal papers of their houses and promised to give such property cards to every household in the next three-four years in every village of the country.
- The move will pave the way for using the property as a financial asset by villagers for taking loans and other financial benefits.
- The scheme aims to provide the ‘record of rights’ to village household owners in rural areas and issue Property Cards.
PM Modi releases commemorative coin of Rs. 100 in honour of Vijaya Raje Scindia
Recalling the legacy of Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia on her birth centenary, Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a commemorative coin of Rs 100 in her honour.
- The special coin minted by the Ministry of Finance is being released in celebration of her birth centenary.
Rajasthan Launches Toll-free Helpline For Mental Health Services
A toll-free government helpline for mental health ”Mann Samvad” was launched by Health Minister Raghu Sharma in Rajasthan.
- The helpline 1800-180-0018 launched by the state government to continuously strengthening mental health services during the coronavirus period.
- The facility of free tele-counselling is being provided to patients with mental health issues that through the helpline.
Delhi Cabinet gives nod for ‘Tree Transplantation Policy’
The Delhi Cabinet at a meeting approved the ‘Tree Transplantation Policy’ for the preservation of trees in the Capital. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said the Cabinet also gave its nod for the installation of the second smog tower in the world at Connaught Place within ten months.
- The Delhi government will form a panel of agencies for tree transplantation and the government departments concerned will contact these agencies.
Dr Harsh Vardhan Inaugurates DBT-BIRAC Clean Tech Demo Park In Delhi
Union Minister for Science and Technology Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the “DBT-BIRAC Clean Tech Demo Park” at Barapullah drain site, near Sundial Park, Sarai Kale Khan, New Delhi in a virtual event.
- Clean Tech Demo Park at Barapullah drain site is a Department of Biotechnology (DBT) initiative that will demonstrate innovative waste-to-value technologies.
- This park will be managed by the Clean Energy International Incubation Centre (CEIIC), a public-private-partnership incubator set up jointly by DBT, BIRAC and Tata Power.
Goa Govt ties up with India Post to get farmers enrolled in PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme
In the country’s first and unique drive, the Goa Agriculture department has collaborated with the Postal Department to enroll 11,000 farmers, eligible to avail the benefit of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN), under which small and marginal farmers get up to Rs 6,000 per year as minimum income support.
- Three equal installments of Rs 2,000 each every four months are transferred into the farmers account. The scheme defines family as husband, wife and minor children.
- The local postman who we are used to seeing bringing mail to our doorstep so far will come to fill the form for the 11,000 farmers in the state who are eligible for this scheme as per the department records.
World Economic Forum shifts annual meeting 2021 from Davos to Lucerne
The World Economic Forum (WEF) said it will hold its Annual Meeting 2021 in Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland, from May 18 to 21, as against the traditional venue of ski resort town Davos in January-end.
- The change in schedule and venue was necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Nihal Sarin Wins Junior Speed Online Chess Championship
Young Indian player Nihal Sarin emerged winner in the Chess.com’s 2020 Junior Speed Online Chess Championship, beating Russia’s world junior No. 6 Alexey Sarana 18-7 in the final.
- The title win earned the 16-year old Sarin USD 8,766 and enabled him to qualify for the 2020 Speed Chess Championship Final which will feature the world’s best players.
Rafael Nadal wins French Open 2020
Rafael Nadal scripted history by winning a record-extending 13th French Open title as he lifted his 20th Grand Slam trophy and equalled Roger Federer’s record for most Major titles.
- The Spaniard defeated Novak Djokovic 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 in 2 hours and 41 minutes at Court Philippe-Chatrier in Paris.
- Nadal added another feather to his cap by becoming the first man to win four Grand Slams without dropping a set. He also became the first player to win 100 matches at Roland-Garros.
Lewis Hamilton wins 2020 Eifel Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton has won the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix, held at the Nürburgring in Nürburg, Germany.
- This is Hamilton’s 7th win of the season and 91st career race victory, which was till now achieved only by Michael Schumacher.
Indian Navy Ships Sahyadri and Kora adjudged as Best Ships in FAF 2020
Fleet Award Function(FAF), 2020 was organised to mark the successful culmination of the Operational Cycle of the Eastern Fleet of the Indian Navy at Visakhapatnam.
- During the event, the Fleet Operations Officer presented the Annual Report of activities and achievements of the Fleet for 01 Apr 19 to 31 Mar 20.
- Sixteen trophies were awarded in recognition of excellence in various operational verticals. The most coveted trophies of Best Ship were awarded to INS Sahyadri amongst Capital ships and INS Kora amongst Corvettes and similar classes of ships. Indian Naval Ships Airavat and Kiltan jointly bagged the ‘Best Spirited Ship’ displaying indomitable spirit and grit whilst undertaking a plethora of challenging missions.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
IIT Kharagpur designs robotic system to identify diseases plaguing plants
IIT Kharagpur has designed a robotic system capable of identifying the diseases plaguing plants through camera-captured image analysis.
- Again use of such a device instead of manual operation of spraying pesticide will protect the farmers from related probable health hazards.
- This is a battery-driven robotic system. Once fully charged, it will be able to perform its duty in the field for about two hours.
Argentina becomes 1st nation to approve genetically modified wheat
Argentina has approved HB4 drought-resistant GMO wheat, making it the first country in the world to approve a strain of GMO wheat.
- The drought-resistant HB4 wheat variety was developed by Argentine biotechnology company Bioceres, working with the National University and Conicet.
- Bioceres’ HB4 wheat is resistant to drought and tolerates the herbicide glufosinate sodium, a combination the company says can help boost yields on dry years.
Renowned Indian-origin South African Human Rights Lawyer Priscilla Jana Passes Away
Renowned Indian-origin South African human rights lawyer Priscilla Jana who represented many anti-apartheid political leaders, including Nelson Mandela, has passed away. He was 76.
- Jana, who had played a significant role against apartheid, was the Deputy Chairperson of the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC).
- Jana was also a member of the South African Law Commission and served as a member of the Advisory Committee to the President.
- After a period as a Member of Parliament in the democratic government following the election of Mandela in 1994, Jana served as South African Ambassador in the Netherlands and in Ireland.
World Day Against the Death Penalty
The World Day Against the Death Penalty is organised on the 10th October by the World Coalition against the Death Penalty (WCADP) of which FIACAT is a founding member and member of the steering committee.
- It is a day to advocate for the abolition of the death penalty and to raise awareness of the conditions and the circumstances which affect prisoners with death sentences.
- The theme for 2020 is “Access to counsel – A matter of life or death.”
World Arthritis Day
Every year, October 12 is observed as World Arthritis Day to raise awareness about Arthritis around the world.
- The day is celebrated to raise awareness about arthritis, an inflammatory condition that causes pain and stiffness in joints that can worsen with age
- The theme of the World Arthritis Day 2020 is “Time2Work”.
International Girl Child Day
The International Day of the Girl Child is being celebrated every year on October 11.
- The main objective of this day is to empower women and help them to get their rights so that they can face the challenges all over the world and meet their needs.
- The theme of International Day of the Girl 2020 is “My voice, our equal future”.
World Bird Migratory Day
World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) is observed every year on the second Saturday of May and October. The day is celebrated as an awareness-raising campaign highlighting the need for the conservation of migratory birds and their habitats.
- This year the theme of World Migratory Bird Day is “Birds Connect Our World”