Daily Current Affairs 12th June 2017
Dr. Jitendra Singh Announces “Hill Area Development Programme” for Northeast
The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh announced the launch of “Hill Area Development Programme” (HADP) for Northeast in Imphal, Manipur.
- He announced the launch of the program to address a meet of Investors and Entrepreneurs, organized by NEDF (North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd), with joint participation of the Union Ministry of DoNER and the Government of Manipur.
Paytm Mall appoints Amit Sinha as Chief Operating Officer
Paytm Mall has announced appointment of Amit Sinha as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) for overall operations of Paytm Mall and expanding the team to ensure customers have access to the widest assortment of products across categories.
Arunachal asks for separate time zone to improve efficiency, work hours
Arunachal Pradesh CM Pema Khandu has asked for a separate time zone which is needed to improve work efficiency and save electricity in the region.
- In January 2014, former Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi also proposed a separate time zone for the northeastern region and suggested that chai bagan (tea garden) time could be followed in the area.
- Chai bagan time is a standard practice followed in tea gardens and is one hour ahead of the Indian Standard Time.
Scientists come up with easy-to-assemble toilet
A cost-effective toilet that weighs less than 500kg and that has a life of 25-30 years can be made in-situ (in the appropriate position) and even assembled in under five hours. CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre (SERC), Chennai has developed this prototype for areas where toilet coverage is still incomplete.
- A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between CSIR-SERC and M/s. Smart Built Prefab Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad, for technology transfer for manufacturing textile reinforced concrete (TRC) panels for the construction of such toilets
Jitu Rai-Heena Sidhu clinch gold medal in ISSF World Cup
India’s Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu have clinched the gold medal in mixed team 10m air pistol event of the ISSF World Cup, beating Russia in the final in Gabala, Azerbaijan.
Shashikant Kutwal wins gold at world chess championship for differently-abled
Shashikant Kutwal has won the gold medal at the 17th World Individual Chess Championship for differently-abled held in Slovakia.
- He is a railway employee and has been representing Central Railway, Indian Railways and India at various chess competitions.
Nadal wins 10th French Open title
Spaniard Rafael Nadal has become the first tennis player to win 10 titles in any Grand Slam tournament in the Open Era after he beat Stanislas Wawrinka at the French Open final in Paris.
Hamilton wins Canadian Grand Prix
British Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton has won the Canadian Grand Prix for the sixth time defeating his Mercedes colleague Finland’s Valtteri Bottas and Australia’s Daniel Ricciardo, who was driving for Red Bull.
Vietnam GM Nguyen bags Mumbai Mayor chess title
Vietnam Grand Master Nguyen Duc Hoa has won the 10th Mumbai Mayor’s Cup International Open Chess Tournament against Indian GM Neelotpal Das
England beat Venezuela to win the U20 World Cup
England has won the Under-20 World Cup, the country’s first world title at any level since 1966, after a victory over Venezuela.
World’s smallest & cheapest private jet launched at Rs12.6 cr
US-based aviation company Cirrus Aircraft has launched the World’s smallest and most affordable private jet called ‘Vision Jet’ for Rs12.62 crore. The jet which had been in making for a decade has only one engine and can cruise at 555 kmph.
China launches world’s largest floating solar farm
Indira Gandhi A life in Nature launched
The book “Indira Gandhi – A life in Nature” was launched by Congress president Sonia Gandhi at Indira Gandhi Memorial. The book is authored by Jairam Ramesh.
- It also showcases how Indira Gandhi led India to the path of conservation and made it a priority of economic development.
Jnanpith awardee C. Narayan Reddy passes away
Eminent Telugu poet, writer and lyricist C. Narayana Reddy has passed away.
World Day Against Child Labour: 12 June
World Day against Child Labour 2017 is observed annually on 12th of June.
- The World Day against Child Labour Theme 2017: “In conflicts and disasters, protect children from child labour.”