Daily Current Affairs 13 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt to start special hospitals offering Indian system of medicines in 150 districts
Special hospitals offering Indian Systems of Medicines like Siddha and Ayurveda will be started in 150 districts across the country. This was stated by Union Minister of State for AYUSH Shri Sripad Yesso Naik, while inaugurating an Ayurveda medical College in Vellore, Tamilnadu.
Indian Railways manufacture locomotive with 180 kmph speed
Indian Railways has manufactured a high-speed locomotive in West Bengal’s Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW), achieving a top speed of 180 km per hour.
- The minister also mentioned that the new locomotive is produced under the “Make in India” initiative of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
OYO partners ACKO to launch complimentary insurance cover for guests
Hospitality firm OYO has partnered ACKO General Insurance to launch complimentary insurance cover for guests at booking price for its properties across India.
- The guests will get insurance against accidental death, baggage loss and accidental medical expenses for the entire duration of their stay in a particular city.
Women’s T20 cricket included in the 2022 Commonwealth Games
Women’s T20 Cricket has been confirmed for inclusion at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, following a joint bid by the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) announced.
- The inclusion of Women’s T20 within the Commonwealth Games continues the ICC’s commitment to support the global growth of the women’s game and reach new markets whilst getting more girls and women watching, playing and enjoying cricket.
Chennai Lions beat Dabang Delhi to win UTT
Chennai Lions won the Ultimate Table Tennis league. They defeated Dabang Delhi in the finals by 8-1. Chennai Lions collected the winner’s share of Rs. 75 lakh while Delhi settled for Rs. 50 lakh.
Khelo India to be held in Assam from 10th to 22nd January
The Khelo India will be held in Guwahati, Assam from 10th to 22nd of January next year. The Games will see a participation of more than 10,000 athletes and officials.
- It will be conducted in partnership with Indian Olympic Association(IOA), School Games Federation of India(SGFI) & Assam as host State.
Aishwarya Pissay becomes first Indian to claim a world title in motorsports
Aishwarya Pissay became the first Indian to claim a world title in motorsports, annexing the FIM World Cup ( Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme) in the women’s category after the final round of the championship at Varpalota in Hungary.
Sourabh Verma wins Hyderabad Open title
In Badminton, reigning national champion, Sourabh Verma from Madhya Pradesh has clinched the Men’s Singles title in the Hyderabad Open.
Lionel Messi wins UEFA Goal of the Season Award 2018-19
Barcelona’s Lionel Messi has been awarded UEFA’s Goal of the Season award 2018-19 for his free-kick against Liverpool.
Rafael Nadal wins Montreal Masters title
Rafael Nadal won Montreal to win 35th Masters crown. He defeated Russian Daniil Medvedev by 6-3, 6-0. With the win, he also extended his record haul of Masters 1000 titles. Nadal has successfully defended a hard court title for the first time in his career.
Netherlands’ star footballer Wesley Sneijder announces retirement
Netherlands’ star footballer Wesley Sneijder has announced his retirement from football after arranging a business deal with Dutch football club FC Utrecht.
Chandrima Shaha elected INSA’s first woman president
Former director of the National Institute of Immunology Chandrima Shaha has been elected as the first woman president of the reputed Indian National Science Academy (INSA).
Vice President’s book titled “Listening, Learning & Leading” released
Home Minister Amit Shah released a Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu’s book titled “Listening, Learning & Leading”.
- The book captures the glimpses of the Vice President’s 330 public engagements across the country in the last 2 years. The book also showcases the Vice President’s feat as the Rajya Sabha Chairman in enhancing its effectiveness and promoting its efficiency.
World Biofuel Day
World Biofuel Day is observed every year on 10th of August to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels.
- The theme for World Biofuel Day 2019 is “Production of Bio-diesel from Used Cooking Oil”.
International Youth Day
An initiative by the United Nations, the International Youth Day or IYD is celebrated on August 12 every year. First observed on August 12, 2000, the day marks an awareness day and draws attention to a given set of cultural and legal issues surrounding youth.
- The theme for International Youth Day 2019 is “Transforming education”.