Daily Current Affairs 13 August 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
J&K LG inaugurates “UMEED Market Place” at Srinagar airport
In Jammu and Kashmir, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha inaugurated “UMEED Market Place” under AVSAR Scheme of Airport Authority of India at Srinagar International airport. A similar Marketplace was also opened at Jammu Airport and both the outlets will exhibit products of all 20 districts.The Lt. Governor previously unveiled a 20X20-foot LED video wall at the airport in Srinagar.
- Governor Manoj Sinha stated that UMEED Market Place project will empower local artists and craftspeople of J&K Rural Livelihood Mission Self Help Groups by giving them a platform to sell their goods directly to consumers.
- That the goods produced by self-help groups would be exposed to the national market, help the local artisan community, and offer enough opportunities for product marketing in the UMEED Market Place.
Microsoft partners with MSDE and CBC to provide digital literacy training to India’s 2.5 million civil servants
Microsoft has partnered with the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and the Capacity Building Commission (CBC) to equip Indian civil servants with skills for the future.
- Aiming to improve the functional computer literacy of roughly 2.5 million government of India civil personnel, the cooperation under the project Capacity Building by MSDE in Microsoft Digital Productivity Skills.
- Through the project, they will be given the digital tools they need to serve the society’s most vulnerable and underprivileged members with efficient and effective citizen-centric services. This will make it possible for them to provide last-mile social welfare services.
Kerala launches app to curb GST evasion by offering attractive prizes to users
In a first in India, the Kerala government has launched an app that aims to curb Goods and Service Tax (GST) evasion. The app, ‘Lucky Bill App’, was launched by chief minister Pinarayi Vijayawada.
- The app asks its users to upload original bills of their purchases to win prizes, including a cash prize of ₹25 lakh.
- Kerala CM said that the bill intended to curb GST evasion by encouraging the citizen to ask for a bill every-time they make a purchase. To reward them into doing so, the app offers cash prize upto ₹25 lakh.
- Apart from cash prizes, the app will also offer rewards such as gift packs from Kudumbashree and Vanashree as well as KTDC tour packages. The Kerala Cm said that ₹5 crore worth of prizes would be given every year. Therefore, people should ask for the bill and upload it.
7.3% of Indian population owned digital currency as of 2021, reveals UNCTAD report
India ranked seventh in list of top 20 economies for digital currency ownership as a share of population. India’s crypto ownership is the seventh highest in the world and about 7.3 per cent of Indian population owned digital currency (in the form of cryptocurrencies) in 2021, revealed an UNCTAD report.
- In a list of top 20 economies ranked for digital currency ownership as a share of population as of 2021, India ranked one notch below the United States (8.3 per cent).
- Ukraine topped the list with 12.7 per cent, followed by Russia and Venezuela, with 11.9 per cent and 10.3 per cent, respectively. Singapore (9.4 per cent) and Kenya (8.5 per cent) were above the United States in the pecking order.
- As many as 15 of the top 20 economies listed were developing and emerging market economies. UNCTAD report highlighted that post Covid-19, there has been an exponential increase in use of cryptocurrencies globally.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank inks pact with TReDs platform M1xchange
Trade receivables discounting platform M1xchange has tied up with HDFC Bank with an aim to provide more liquidity to small businesses at competitive interest rates.
- HDFC Bank has partnered with M1xchange promoted by Mynd Solutions Pvt Ltd to make a debut in the Trade receivables Discounting System (TReDs) platform.
- This move is expected to bring in high liquidity to buyer corporates and MSMEs at competitive interest rates.
RBI cancels the license of Rupee Co-operative Bank, Pune
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said it has cancelled the licence of Rupee Co-operative Bank Ltd, Pune in compliance with the Bombay high court order dated September 12, 2017. The order shall become effective after six weeks from September 22, 2022.
- The central bank said the public interest would have been adversely affected if the Rupee Co-operative Bank Pune was allowed to carry on its banking business any further as the bank with its present financial position would be unable to pay its present depositors in full.
Former West Indies player Kieron Pollard 1st to play 600 T20 matches
Former West Indies all-rounder Kieron Pollard became the first cricketer to play 600 T20 matches.
- The hard-hitting batter achieved this landmark during his side’s London Spirit’s match against Manchester Originals during ongoing The Hundred tournament at Lord’s.
- Pollard has some brilliant T20I stats. He has scored 11,723 runs across 600 games at an average of 31.34. He has the best individual performance of 104. Pollard has scored one century and 56 half-centuries in the format. He has also captured 309 wickets with best bowling figures of 4/15.
Real Madrid beats Eintracht Frankfurt 2-0 to clinch UEFA Super Cup
Champions League winners Real Madrid outclassed Eintracht Frankfurt 2-0 to clinch the UEFA Super Cup for a record-equalling fifth time and kick off their season with a trophy.
- A first-half goal from David Alaba and another from Karim Benzema in the 65th minute, which lifted him to second in Real’s all-time scoring list with 324 goals, wrapped up the title for the Spaniards.The man of the match goes to Casemiro.
Amit Burman resigns as Dabur chairman, Mohit Burman takes charge
Amit Burman resigned as chairman of packaged goods company Dabur India Ltd, with cousin and vice-chairman Mohit taking over the role.
- The former chairman, who took over the position in July 2019, will continue as a non-executive director.
- Mohit Burman, the former non-executive vice-chairman of Dabur India, has been appointed as the non-executive chairman for five years from 11 August.
- The company also named Saket Burman as the non-executive vice-chairman for five years.
AIADMK’s first MP Maya Thevar passes away at the age of 87
Former Member of Parliament and senior All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) politician K. Maya Thevar passed away due to age-related illness at his residence in Chinnalapatti near Dindigul. He was 87.
- The was the first MP of the AIADMK. He led the party to enter the world of politics by registering the party’s first victory by contesting a by-election to the Dindigul Lok Sabha constituency in 1973.
- Also, it was Mr. Maya Thevar who chose the iconic ‘two-leaves’ symbol of the AIADMK party. Later, he left AIADMK and joined the DMK.