Daily Current Affairs 13 December 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
10 ASEAN leaders to be chief guests for Republic Day
At least 10 leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will be taking part in the 2018 Republic Day celebrations as chief guests.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had invited the ASEAN leaders to be the chief guests earlier this year.
Official Logo for Allahabad Kumbh Mela 2019 released in Lucknow
The official Logo and tagline for Allahabad Kumbh Mela 2019 were released in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. The logo comprises of temples, seers, a kalash & a Swastika. The tagline for Kumbh Mela 2019 is Chalo Chalo Chalo, Kumbh Chalo.” It will be held in Allahabad.
- A website to facilitate tourists was also launched. The government had, earlier, announced to rename the Ardh Kumbh held every six years as Kumbh and Kumbh held every 12 years as Maha Kumbh.
- In the same ceremony, the tagline —”Agar UP Nahi Dekha Toh India Nahi Dekha’ — for UP Tourism was also unveiled.
- Traditionally, the fairs at the following four sites are recognized as Kumbh Melas: Prayag (Allahabad), Haridwar, Trimbak-Nashik and Ujjain.
Rajasthan becomes first in country to offer e-mail IDs in Hindi
Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to offer free e-mail address in Hindi to its residents. The facility —email@example.com (in Devanagari script) — will lead to millions of new users who are not comfortable with English e-mail ids.
Google to open AI research lab in China, first in Asia
In an apparent move to rebuild its presence in China, Google said it will open a research lab focused on Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Beijing — its first such centre in Asia.
- The “Google AI China Centre” will join the other AI research groups that the company has in other parts of the world, including in New York, Toronto, London and Zurich.
‘Feminism’ is Merriam-Webster’s word of the year
The online dictionary, Merriam-Webster has dubbed “feminism” its word of the year, meaning it is the most-searched word on Merriam-Webster’s website. Feminism can be defined as the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes; organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests.
BANKING & FINANCE
India Signs Loan Agreement with World Bank for US$ 250 Million for SANKALP Project
India signed a Financing Agreement for IBRD loan of USD 250 million (equivalent) for the “Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP) Project” with the World Bank.
- The Objective of the project is to enhance institutional mechanisms for skills development and increase access to quality and market-relevant training for the work force.
RBI raises FPI limit in G-Secs, State development loans
The Reserve Bank of India said the limits for investment by foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) for the January-March 2018 quarter has been increased by ₹6,400 crore in Central Government Securities (G-Secs) and ₹5,800 crore in State development loans (SDLs).
- With effect from January 1, 2018, the revised investment limit for FPIs in G-Secs will be ₹2,56,400 crore against the existing limit of ₹2,50,000 crore.
RBI imposes Rs. 30 mn penalty on IndusInd Bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a monetary penalty of Rs. 30 million on IndusInd Bank for non-compliance with the directions issued by RBI on Income Recognition and Asset Classification (IRAC) norms and contravention of regulatory restrictions pertaining to non-fund based (NFB) facilities.
OBOPAY Secures a Pre-paid Instrument License from RBI
OBOPAY, the global mobile payment solutions company, recently announced that the company has secured alicense for Prepaid Payment Instrument (PPI) from the Reserve Bank of India to operate a semi-closed loop wallet in the country.
ADB lowers India’s GDP forecast to 6.7%
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) lowered its Indian GDP forecast for the current financial year to 6.7 per cent citing tepid growth in the first half, demonetisation and transitory challenges posed by implementation of GST.
- It also revised its Indian Gross Domestic Product outlook for the 2018-19 fiscal down to 7.3 per cent, from 7.4 per cent.
Developing nations in Asia to grow at 6% in 2017: ADB
The Asian Development Bank said that the economies of developing countries of Asia are expected to record a 6% growth in 2017, a decimal higher than the September-forecast. It kept the 2018 GDP growth forecast at 5.8 per cent.
Indian hockey teams end year on 6th and 10th spots
India’s men and women’s hockey teams remained in the 6th and 10th positions respectively in the rankings revealed by the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
- The men’s team were at the sixth spot at the beginning of the year and maintained it throughout the year. The women’s team started the year at the 12th spot but slowly they jumped two spots.
India becomes 1st ever team to register 100 300+ ODI totals
India has become the first-ever team to register 300+ totals 100 times in ODIs, after posting 392/4 against Sri Lanka in Mohali.
Rohit becomes 1st player in ODI history to hit 3 double tons
Rohit Sharma became the first-ever player in ODI history to hit three double hundreds, slamming his third in the Mohali ODI against Sri Lanka.
Journalist, author Rabisankar Bal passes away
Renowned journalist and Bengali author Rabisankar Bal has passed away following a brief illness.
Senior Congress leader Chaudhary Prem Singh passes away at 84
Senior Congress leader and former president of Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC) Chaudhary Prem Singh has passed away.