Daily Current Affairs 13 December 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Finance Ministry notifies updated viability gap funding scheme
The Viability Gap Funding (VGF) scheme was notified by the Ministry of Finance under which various infrastructure projects will be selected for financial support to provide a boost to the sector.
- According to the VGF scheme, the Empowered Committee (EC) chaired by the economic affairs secretary will sanction a funding amount of up to Rs 200 crore, while projects requiring more than Rs 200 crore would be approved by the Empowered Committee, after the approval from the Minister of Finance.
- The VGF scheme will be known as the ‘Scheme for Financial Support to PPPs’ (Public-Private Partnerships) in the infrastructure sector.This will be a central sector scheme and administered by the Finance Ministry.
AP CM virtually launches ‘Jagananna Jeeva Kranthi’ scheme
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy virtually launched ‘Jagananna Jeeva Kranthi’ scheme, under which 2.49 lakh units of sheep and goats will be distributed to women in a phased manner at a cost of ₹1,869 crore.
- The scheme aims at improving the living standards of women with less investment.
- Under the scheme, women belonging to the Backward Classes, the Scheduled Castes (SCs), and the Scheduled Tribes (STs) in the age group of 45-60 years would get 2.49 lakh sheep and goat units. Each unit consists of 15 sheep or goats (with one ram or billy) in each unit. The State would facilitate and provide suggestions, in case the women want to buy the sheep and goats on their own.
UP govt launches scheme for Tharu tribe
The Uttar Pradesh government has recently launched a scheme to take the unique culture of its ethnic Tharu tribe across the world.The scheme’s intention is to place these tribal villages on the tourism map.
- The state government is working to connect Tharu villages in the districts of Balrampur, Bahraich, Lakhimpur and Pilibhit bordering Nepal, with the home stay scheme of the UP Forest Department.
- The idea is to offer tourists an experience of living in the natural Tharu habitat, in traditional huts made of grass collected mainly from the forests.
India Drops To Second Position In BNEF’s 2020 Climatescope Ranking; Chile Bags Top Spot
India has dropped to the second position in Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s (BNEF) 2020 Climatescope survey ranking from first last year, as a result of a decline in clean energy investment, which fell 12 per cent in 2018-19 to $8.5 billion and has plummeted 32 per cent since 2017.
- Chile has bagged the top spot in the survey reflective of its strong clean energy policies while, Brazil remained at the third position.
- However, the report added that Mainland China and India continued to be the biggest markets for clean energy investment with Mainland China far and away the largest.
- The report also added that the total foreign direct investment (FDI) in renewables set a new record at $32 billion in 2019, up from a previous high of $24 billion in 2018. It said that the majority – 84 per cent – of the 2019 total came from international project developers, utilities, commercial banks and other private sources.
BANKING & FINANCE
India provides US$ 2 million to UNRWA for Palestinian Refugees
India contributed another USD 2 million to the UN Palestine refugee agency, fulfilling its commitment of USD five million in aid annually to support its programmes and services, including education, health care, relief and social services for Palestinian refugees.
- The USD 2 million cheque was presented to UNRWA by Representative of India in Palestine, Sunil Kumar, bringing New Delhi’s total contribution to the agency providing basic services to Palestinian refugees to USD 5 million in 2020.
Equitas Small Finance Bank launches 3-in-1 account for saving, trading & demat
Equitas Small Finance Bank Ltd, (SFB) has launched a 3-in-1 account, which allows its customers to invest in wide variety of financial product using a single platform.
- A 3-in1 account (savings +trading+ demat) will help the customers to keep all their banking and financial investments under one umbrella entity. The bank will provide stock broking and demat services through referral arrangement with brokerage firms for trading and depository services.
- The financial products offered through the 3-in-1 account includes direct equity and F&O trading, MF investment across all AMCs, ETFs, corporate FDs, corporate bonds, government bonds, insurance products, National Pension Scheme (NPS) and initial public offerings.
DBS Bank India partners with Haqdarshak to aid MSME recovery
DBS Bank India has joined hands with social enterprise Haqdarshak to enable recovery of Indian businesses through its newly launched platform, which offers access to MSME-focused government-assisted schemes across the country.
- Due to the slowdown triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic, business owners needed support to tide through the uncertainty and build resilience. This was particularly true for small and medium scale enterprises, which were the worst affected.
- Recognizing this, Haqdarshak developed a new platform for MSME-focused government welfare schemes, covering registrations, documentation, and applications for financing.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NSDC partners with Byju”s to support skilling of teachers, trainers
Edtech major Byju’s said it has inked an agreement with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to support the skilling of teachers and trainers.
- Sharing a vision to accelerate Skill India Mission, the partners aim at empowering teachers and trainers with the key skills and digital tools to make learning engaging, effective and personalised for children and youth.
- Byju’s will support NSDC by providing free access to its educational content and tools to help teachers, and will share its digital educational content (scholastic and non-scholastic) as free licences with the NSDC ecosystem to equip teachers as well as students for a quality learning experience.
Sabrina Filzmoser and Flavio Canto appointed IJF Climate Ambassadors
Austria’s Sabrina Filzmoser and Brazil’s Flavio Canto have been appointed as International Judo Federation (IJF) climate ambassadors by IJF President Marius Vizer, in a bid to spread the message of environmentalism.
- The pair are now expected to talk about global warming and use judo as a positive influence in delivering this message.
Paolo Rossi, Italy’s 1982 World Cup hero, passes away
Paolo Rossi, Italy’s goalscoring hero from their victorious 1982 World Cup campaign, has died from “an incurable disease”, aged 64.
- Rossi won two Serie A titles, a European Cup and a Coppa Italia with Juventus but will be most fondly remembered for lighting up the 1982 World Cup in Spain with six goals.
- He won the Golden Boot as the top scorer and Golden Ball as the player of the tournament, a campaign regarded as one of the best individual World Cup performances of all-time.He was also awarded the 1982 Ballon d’Or as Europe’s top footballer.