Daily Current Affairs 13 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
All villages to be linked by roads by 2019 as part of ‘Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojna’
The Centre is making efforts to connect all villages through a road network by next year as part of the ‘Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojna’. Earlier, the target to compete these works was 2022 but it has been advanced to 2019.
- The Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) was launched by the Central government to provide connectivity to unconnected habitations as part of a poverty reduction strategy.
Radio Umang: India’s first online radio station launched
Radio Umang, India’s first online radio station that allows the listener to just download and tune in, has been launched.
- Listeners can tune in to this online radio station through web streaming or download the app.
- With 24 hours programming, it has found listeners in Hindi speaking regions of India and in over 60 countries worldwide.
Jharkhand to set up ‘Dada-Dadi’ park in every city
Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das announced that a “Dada-Dadi Park” for senior citizens would be established in every city of the state soon. The parks in every city of the state will be set up to provide relief to people from hot summer.
India to host 8th edition of Theatre Olympics from Feb 17
India will host the 8th edition of Theatre Olympics from 17th of this month for the first time. The event will continue till 8th of April.
- 51 day long nationwide theatre extravaganza will be held in 17 cities including Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Patna, Kolkata, Mumbai, Guwahati and Jammu. The theme of the festival is flag of friendship.
India ranked 8th in the World in Terms of Forest Area
As per the latest Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) report, India is placed 8th in the list of Top Ten nations reporting the greatest annual net gain in forest area.
- India has shown an increasing trend in the forest and tree cover, in comparison to the global trend of decreasing forest cover during the last decade.
World’s first robot ski competition held in South Korea
World’s first robot ski competition was held in South Korea in which self-operational humanoid skiers with two legs participated wearing skis. The robots were reportedly equipped with sensors, batteries and deep learning algorithms that allowed them to move on their own.
World Radio Day: 13 February
World Radio Day is an observance day held annually on 13 February. World Radio Day is about celebrating radio, why we love it and why we need it today more than ever. A day to remember the unique power of radio to touch lives and bring people together across every corner of the globe
- The theme of World Radio day is “Radio and Sports”.