Daily Current Affairs 13 June 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cabinet nod to International Arbitration Centre Bill
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the New Delhi International Arbitration Centre Bill which will be introduced during the upcoming session of parliament.
- According to an official statement, the Bill provides for setting up of an independent body for institutional arbitration and to acquire and transfer the undertakings of International Arbitration Centre with effect from March 2 this year.
- The move is aimed to bring targeted reform to develop itself as a flagship institution for conducting international and domestic arbitration.
India accounts for 12% of the world’s internet users
According to the annual report on internet trends by venture capitalist Mary Meeker, India accounts for 12% world’s internet users.
- China has the largest base, accounting for 21% of all internet users globally, and the US comes third at 8%.
New app to help students wishing to study in the U.S.
The U.S. Embassy organised its fifth annual ‘Student Visa Day’ and launched ‘EducationUSA India’. It is a mobile application to provide Indian students with “current, comprehensive and accurate information about studying in the U.S.”.It was launched by the Embassy in collaboration with the United States-India Educational Foundation.
JNU to honour Nirmala Sitharaman, S Jaishankar with ‘Distinguished Alumni Award’
The Executive Council of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in its meeting decided to honour Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar with the ‘Distinguished Alumni Award’ on the third convocation of the university, which will be held in August.
- The Union Ministers will be the first recipients of the ‘Distinguished Alumni Award,’ which is to be conferred by the university.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Edelweiss, Bank of Baroda to co-lend to SMEs
ECL Finance, the flagship non-banking financial company of Edelweiss Group, and Bank of Baroda, India’s second largest public sector bank, signed an agreement to form a strategic partnership to explore co-lending opportunities.
- Both entities will jointly offer loans and expertise for the growing needs of micro, small and medium enterprises besides self-employed as well as priority sector groups.
IDBI Bank Ltd. enters into standalone health insurance tie-up with Max Bupa
IDBI Bank Ltd. and Max Bupa, a standalone health insurer (SAHI), signed a Bancassurance corporate agency agreement on June 1, 2019. It is the first time that IDBI Bank has been on-boarded as a corporate agent for a SAHI partner under open architecture.
- As part of the tie-up, Max Bupa will offer its comprehensive health insurance offerings to the diverse customer base of IDBI Bank Ltd. across the country.
Japan to invest Rs 13,000 crore in north-eastern states
Japan has decided to invest about Rs 13,000 crore in several ongoing as well as new projects in different states of the north-eastern region.
- Projects in which Japan will collaborate include Guwahati water supply and sewage projects in Assam, northeast road network connectivity improvement project spread over Assam and Meghalaya, northeast network connectivity improvement project in Meghalaya, biodiversity conservation and forest management project in Sikkim, sustainable forest management project in Tripura, technical cooperation project for sustainable agriculture and irrigation in Mizoram, and forest management project in Nagaland.
Infosys selected by Posti as key digital transformation technology partner
Indian IT major Infosys has been selected by Finnish postal service Posti as a strategic partner for the digital transformation of its business and IT services.
- Through this engagement, Infosys will drive the modernisation of Posti’s IT applications and infrastructure, helping it move to a flexible IT service model. This will strengthen Posti’s ability to respond to changes in customer needs with agility and provide a seamless customer user experience through a dedicated command centre.
HCL to roll out “Tech Bee” programme
HCL Technologies is all set to roll out “Tech Bee” programme, a company initiative under which it trains and hires students who have completed XII th standard, across several states.
- Tech Bee is a HCL’s early career programme in which company provides students an opportunity to start early and become financially independent and trendsetters. Enrolled students are paid stipend of Rs 10,000 per month.
Amitav Ghosh becomes the first English writer to get Jnanpith award
Renowned author Amitav Ghosh was awarded the 54th Jnanpith Award for his contribution to the enrichment of Indian Literature in English. He was conferred the award by former governor of West Bengal Gopalkrishna Gandhi.
Priyanka Chopra to be honoured with a humanitarian award by UNICEF
Priyanka Chopra, a global UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for Child Rights is going to be honoured with Danny Kaye Humanitarian Award by UNICEF at the UNICEF SNOWFLAKE BALL.
Poet, lyricist Pazhavila Ramesan passes away
Poet and lyricist Pazhavila Ramesan passed away. He was 83 years old. He was a recipient of Kerala Sahithya Akademi Award and had also penned songs for films like Asamsakalode, Malooty, Uncle Bun, Vasudha and others.
World Day Against Child Labour
The World Day Against Child Labour is an International Labour Organization (ILO)-sanctioned holiday first launched in 2002 aiming to raise awareness and activism to prevent child labour.
- In 2019, the International Labour Organization is celebrating 100 years of advancing social justice and promoting decent work. Yet today, 152 million children are still in child labour.
- The theme for World Day Against Child Labour 2019 is ‘Children shouldn’t work in fields, but on dreams!’